07-31-2013, 12:28 PM
User Info
I got 4 pucks of Trumpers soap, 2 with box, 2 without, on a deal on Mankind. I normally use creams as I have dry skin. However I love the GFT soap fragrances: Rose, Lime, Coconut and almond. I have trouble lathering this soap compared to my Harris Lavender and TOBS coconut. I get a very thin lather unless I keep going with it and I need my Woodhead bowl to help proceedings. I have used my Commodore, BK8 and vulfix 2234 and get the same result. The strange thing is the lather seems to dissipate after about 15 seconds of being on my face. Can anybody enlighten me as to what is going on? Am I missing something?

Oledub

0 3
 07-31-2013, 01:18 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
That has been my experience too with GFT Rose soap. I tried it with four different brushes, but got the same results as you did. Needless to say, I was highly disappointed as I was hoping to expand my repertoire from 95% creams , 85% being TOBS, to include high-end soaps. I must say though that I also have a puck of EJ Sea Buckhorn soap and it lathers marvelously each time I use it. BTW, I lather on my face exclusively.

5 759
 07-31-2013, 01:23 PM
User Info
I got a thin lather with my first go around with GFT Lime soap. Wasnt the worst shave ive ever gotten but Ive had wayyyy better. Not giving up obviously.

0 53
 07-31-2013, 01:43 PM
User Info
Old news, I'm afraid. Trumper's soaps were once well respected but alas, that is no longer the case, IMO. Trumper reformulated their soaps away from tallow a few years back and did a pretty good job in the process. Come 2010 and another reformulation took place. What is being reported here is now a common finding. Lather just evaporates within seconds.
If you are lucky enough to find a puck manufactured in 2009 or earlier, grab it. Its performance will be guaranteed. 2010 onwards and chances are you'll get a dud.

31 4,957
 07-31-2013, 01:55 PM
User Info
To be even more specific, GFT changed the supplier of their soap base and the new supplier promptly killed GFT shaving soap. Along with several other soaps, if memory serves. Do yourself a favor and stick with (1) D.R. Harris and (2) TOBS for English hard soaps.

3 543
 07-31-2013, 02:14 PM
User Info
Man, that's disappointing. I didn't research the soap 'cos of the brand's reputation. That's what I get for being lazy I guess. Did the same thing with a soap called Fitjar, which I wound up shampooing the dog with. It's a pity TOBS don't do more soaps. Oh well onward and upward, thanks for the heads-up fellas.

0 3
 07-31-2013, 02:44 PM
User Info
Don't even get me startedWink It soured me on the brand a good while ago. Though their creams are still very nice I really like good old fashioned triple milled soapsExclamation

6 1,224
 08-03-2013, 07:36 AM
User Info
The new soap is very inconsistent puck to puck. You might get a good puck, but there's a very good chance you'll get a dud.
I've had two pucks of GFT: Rose and Violet. The Violet is pretty darn good, probably on par with the C&E, and smells great. The Rose was unusable.

0 54
 08-03-2013, 08:57 AM
  • Edson
  • Artisan Razor Restorer
  • Oregon
User Info
I must of got a decent puck of the reformulated stuff and went through it all. Lather was unimpressive, but certainly didn't dissipate. I remember loading like crazy though. This was circa 2010-11 maybe, so it might have been a decent one.

Didn't know they switched suppliers again around that time. Needless to say the performance of that puck never made me feel to seek out another.

Penhaligon's is garbage now too unfortunately. Stick with DR Harris for English triple mill. Valobra Stick and Czech & Speake are good too.

If you like a variety of scents and want excellent performance, go to Mike's Natural. Really can't be beat.

11 185
 08-04-2013, 07:43 PM
User Info
if its any consolation I had the same issue with my rose/coconut/sandalwood pucks and I was able to get rid of those but I swore that I will never use GFT soaps again !

4 179
 08-04-2013, 08:37 PM
User Info
I've had good luck with the GFT, I shake most of the water out of the brush before I hit the soap. Maybe y'all need to send me your pucks so I can try them out for you Angel

11 177
 08-04-2013, 10:17 PM
User Info
(07-31-2013, 01:55 PM)john parker Wrote: Do yourself a favor and stick with (1) D.R. Harris and (2) TOBS for English hard soaps.

Funny you should say that, I have about 8 pucks in the cabinet and I use 3 of them 99.99999% of the time.

D.R. Harris - Arlington - Rocks
TOBS - Sandalwood - Rocks
TOBS - Lavender - Rocks

1 622
 08-05-2013, 03:26 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Well poo.I wish I had read this earlier. I ordered a puck of GFT Rose soap yesterday along with a D.R. Harris lavender. But I have good luck with soaps though. I mean, I read everywhere about how hard it is to lather MWF, it only works with warm water, it's recommended that you face lather etc. etc. but I have no problem whipping up bowls full of hot lather with it. Maybe it's my water.

5 2,006
 08-05-2013, 03:36 AM
User Info
(08-05-2013, 03:26 AM)Mouser Wrote: Well poo.I wish I had read this earlier. I ordered a puck of GFT Rose soap yesterday along with a D.R. Harris lavender. But I have good luck with soaps though. I mean, I read everywhere about how hard it is to lather MWF, it only works with warm water, it's recommended that you face lather etc. etc. but I have no problem whipping up bowls full of hot lather with it. Maybe it's my water.
You may strike it lucky and receive a "reasonable" puck of GFT Rose but the odds are against you IMO. No worries with the Harris Lavender though-a great soap. I, like you, have no trouble with MWF and hot water, despite having hard water.
Let us know how the Rose soap performs once you've received it. Fingers crossed for you.

31 4,957
 08-13-2013, 10:41 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I've had my only GFT soap(Rose of course)on ice for many months...never thought to search this scent's reputation; My prob now...I'm going to take it out tomorrow and hope it's no DUD...I'm actually looking forward to thisHambre All I know now is that I'm going to whip the crap out of it w/warm h2o & Simp. Tulip 2-B...will report back

4 792
 08-14-2013, 10:33 AM
User Info
(08-13-2013, 10:41 PM)LORDBISHOP Wrote: I've had my only GFT soap(Rose of course)on ice for many months...never thought to search this scent's reputation; My prob now...I'm going to take it out tomorrow and hope it's no DUD...I'm actually looking forward to thisHambre All I know now is that I'm going to whip the crap out of it w/warm h2o & Simp. Tulip 2-B...will report back
If you have the packaging still, even the wrapping, there will be two sets of numbers, a 6 digit number with a 5 digit number beneath. The last two digits of the one beneath is the year of manufacture. 09 or earlier is guaranteed to be a great performer. 10,11,12 and 13 is pot luck.
Hope it works well for you as some do perform with adequate loading.

31 4,957
 08-15-2013, 08:50 PM
User Info
Well, I have to echo the remarks about D.R. Harris soaps Great soaps and I often don't even use an aftershave balm after using the Arlington. But as far as lathering problems with GFT soaps, I only have the GFT sandalwood soap and I absolutely love everything about it: the scent, the lather, the slickness. Never had a problem.

0 77
 08-16-2013, 05:50 AM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
(08-04-2013, 08:37 PM)cpool222 Wrote: I've had good luck with the GFT, I shake most of the water out of the brush before I hit the soap. Maybe y'all need to send me your pucks so I can try them out for you Angel

If you live in Toronto I will drop you a puck of new stock Eucris. It, and it alone, has beaten me to the ground. If you are into self flagellation using soap, this soap is the one to get. Such a disappointment from a respected brand. It needs to be binned but I am still in some denial over Trumpers selling such a poor product.

0 534
 08-16-2013, 06:14 AM
User Info
Teiste puts on a face-lathering clinic with Eucris (among others) in this thread:
http://shavenook.com/thread-video-making...ng-brushes

10 2,062
 08-16-2013, 06:54 AM
User Info
(08-04-2013, 10:17 PM)olblueyez Wrote:
(07-31-2013, 01:55 PM)john parker Wrote: Do yourself a favor and stick with (1) D.R. Harris and (2) TOBS for English hard soaps.

Funny you should say that, I have about 8 pucks in the cabinet and I use 3 of them 99.99999% of the time.

D.R. Harris - Arlington - Rocks
TOBS - Sandalwood - Rocks
TOBS - Lavender - Rocks

TOBS Jermyn st. is another good soap. No problems with that either - and the scent is lovely Heart
The same goes for D. R. Harris Marlborough, of course.

(08-14-2013, 10:33 AM)Optometrist Wrote: If you have the packaging still, even the wrapping, there will be two sets of numbers, a 6 digit number with a 5 digit number beneath. The last two digits of the one beneath is the year of manufacture. 09 or earlier is guaranteed to be a great performer. 10,11,12 and 13 is pot luck.
Hope it works well for you as some do perform with adequate loading.

This is precious information, David! Thank you for sharing it with us. Smile

2 5,532