08-01-2013, 06:15 AM
  • Taddeo
  • Commerce, MI
User Info
So I have been wet shaving for about 7 months now, after a chance trip to AOS with my wife. I started with AOS Sandalwood cream, as I didn't know any better. I recently decided to branch out a bit, in a quest to try something different and cheaper. I just started using a tub of TOBS cream. I am intrigued by soaps too. Having only used cream, what are the pros/cons to soaps?

Todd

0 12
 08-01-2013, 07:10 AM
User Info
(08-01-2013, 06:15 AM)Taddeo Wrote: So I have been wet shaving for about 7 months now, after a chance trip to AOS with my wife. I started with AOS Sandalwood cream, as I didn't know any better. I recently decided to branch out a bit, in a quest to try something different and cheaper. I just started using a tub of TOBS cream. I am intrigued by soaps too. Having only used cream, what are the pros/cons to soaps?

Todd

This is pretty well documented, but soaps generally speaking last longer than creams. It is the presence (or more specifically, the lack of presence) of water in any product that determines its endurance. More water, like in creams, and less endurance. Less water (i.e. hard soaps) and more endurance. However, even if you haven't already been bitten by either SCAD (shaving cream acquisition disorder) or SSAD (shaving soap AD), you will be and most likely you won't have to worry about a lack of product on-hand.

These are, for me, the reasons why I've become a soap fan. I have found an intangible "coolness" factor with soaps, that they are a link to our grandfathers, great-grandfathers, etc. As well, I find my current set-up (a brush, a puck of soap, and a large mug to soak both soap and brush) is both compact, streamlined, and needs soaps.

There is also a learning-curve factor, i.e. determining how much loading, water/soap ratios, etc., that once you master, you want to keep it up.

Creams however are ready to go out right out of the tub or tube, generally have stronger scents, so I can see the benefits of creams.

72 1,407
 08-01-2013, 07:16 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I like soaps better. Soaps are old fashion. Are a little harder to lather from. Last forever (and ever). Many different scents to choose from. Many different types of soaps (glycerin, tallow, semi-hard, hard, etc.) And Mitchell's Wool Fat only comes in a Soap.

And "The Williams" only comes as a soap (Yummy Lemon Scent - Triple Milled - I think). But, not everyone likes "The Williams". It is super cheap and if you can get it to lather then, you can lather anything.

Col Conk (Four Scents - I think - Glycerin) - A somewhat inexpensive Glycerin Soap.

Other Cheap Shaving Creams

Kiss My Face (Several Scents) - a Whole Food/Natural Food Store item

C.O. Bigelow (Menthol) - Bath and Body Works

Real Shaving Company Shaving Cream (Regular/Menthol) - Rite-Aid or some other drug store.

Cremo - not bad - slick as spit but doesn't lather well or if at all

1 819
 08-01-2013, 07:17 AM
User Info
Also, nothing says that you need to be exclusive to one or the other.

I regularly use and enjoy both.

18 567
 08-01-2013, 07:33 AM
User Info
I have both; but I prefer soaps to creams. The one big benefit creams have over soaps in my experience is that creams have stronger scents. I like a strong scent and wish my soaps were as strong scented as their cream counterparts. The AOS sandalwood cream is an excellent product btw.

1 77
 08-01-2013, 08:28 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I prefer soaps but use a cream at home if I am in a hurry. A tube always accompanies my shave stick when I travel.

173 23,484
 08-01-2013, 08:42 AM
  • Taddeo
  • Commerce, MI
User Info
I may have to try the soaps out then. Thanks for the insight gents!

0 12
 08-01-2013, 09:20 AM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
I learned to lather with C.O. Bigelow premium shave cream, but once I learned how to lather Arko I've been favoring the tallow based soaps. I love Arko and Mitchell's Wool Fat and I just got a tub of TABAC that I might take out this weekend. The pleasant feeling of these soaps stays on my face all day. It's incredible really.

1 750
 08-01-2013, 10:56 AM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
likely, you will encounter both soaps AND creams that you like.
there are plenty of great ones out there, we are living in good times, as far as selection goes.

0 1,291
 08-02-2013, 06:53 PM
User Info
i use soaps, exclusively, as i much prefer their longevity and working the brush on them to pick up the soap! i also enjoy the more variety of scents you can get them in and, most importantly, my favourite soap makers (Mystic Water + Mike's) don't make creams!Biggrin

75 20,883
 08-03-2013, 05:11 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
creams are easier and are more strongly scented.
soaps shave you closer and smoother.

my findings in a nutshell.

5 2,006
 08-03-2013, 06:46 PM
User Info
I use soaps most of the time because they tend to provide me with better skin conditioning and a closer shave. There are a few creams provide me with the same experience and the cream that gives me best overall experience is Speick. I tend to pack a tube of cream when traveling instead of a soap.

29 1,731
 08-03-2013, 06:52 PM
User Info
I started with creams thinking they are easier to use and I still have an affinity for Trumpers Lime Cream.

I have become a user of the soaps for the most part. Soap is just as easy to use unless your brush is kinda small. Soap has a different bond with your skin. For me soap carries more moisture and provides more lubrication. Soap also takes up less space in your medicine cabinet and it cleans your skin better.

Creams to Soaps, its a natural progression a lot of people make but we all have our favorites.

1 622
 08-03-2013, 07:02 PM
User Info
I tend to prefer soap but there are some very fine creams that I like to use too. I did't start using creams until pretty recently but they will never replace my favorite soaps.

6 1,224
 08-04-2013, 05:21 PM
  • Deano
  • Iowa
User Info
I prefer soaps. Especially tallow soaps. I do however have some Bigelow and TOBS Lavender I use time to time. Of the two I like Taylors the best.

7 898
 08-04-2013, 06:08 PM
User Info
I also like the way tallow soaps leave my skin feeling.....but I like the creaminess of creams....so I sometimes mix them. I put a little tallow soap in my bowl along with a little cream.

0 77
 08-04-2013, 06:42 PM
User Info
I don't have any tallow soaps (I think) but I do use tallow hand soaps and it makes a big difference.

Regular soaps make my hands dry and full of wrinkles and Tallow makes them soft and smooth.

I wish I had a list of what is available in tallow these days.

1 622
 08-04-2013, 08:43 PM
User Info
Why not start a thread asking about tallow/veg soaps/croaps/creams? That'll get you your list.

32 6,308
 08-04-2013, 09:38 PM
User Info
(08-04-2013, 08:43 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Why not start a thread asking about tallow/veg soaps/croaps/creams? That'll get you your list.

Good Idea Boss! Smile

1 622
 08-05-2013, 03:33 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I look for soaps that have both tallow and lanolin. Tallow for the way it lathers and lanolin for how it leaves my skin feeling. There are other alternatives to the lanolin aspect but the tallow is irreplaceable. IMHO.
By the way I used my new puck of Tabac yesterday for the first time. Now I know what everyone raves about.

5 2,006