08-01-2013, 08:06 AM
User Info
I ran across a blog post titled "Which Can Of Shaving Cream Should I Buy? A Surprisingly Complex Analysis." today and I'm all like... WTF people?

Solution; a cheap synthetic brush and a stick of Arko. It'll lasts longer than three months, gives a better lather with less wasted soap, more environmentally friendly, and weights less in the bag. Air travel friendly too, come to think of it.

3 3,580
 08-01-2013, 08:23 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I'm thankful that I have never used anything in a can.

173 23,553
 08-01-2013, 09:22 AM
User Info
Well lads,as is sometimes the case, I find myself slightly out of step with the VAST majority on here,I have used both and can honestly say that (imho) there is nothing wrong with good quality GEL not FOAM mind you, that IS RUBBISH, but a good gel I find gives a good drag free shave.
Horses for courses,there are as many poor quality hard shave soaps,as there are poor quality gels.Johnny,surely if you have never used a quality gel you honestly can't give a valid opinion,( in your words "be thankful that you have never used anything in a can") give it a go,I think you may well be suprised.
Sam.

0 79
 08-01-2013, 09:35 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I've used both canned creams and gels ... although they perform the job adequately, they are no substitute for the overall joy that comes with the brush and soap/cream process and results. Nonetheless, for those who are content with the convenience of canned products, and are not looking for the qualitative delights of lathering up a good soap or cream, kudos to them!

102 17,671
 08-01-2013, 09:49 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Hans, one of the comments below the article is from a gentleman who makes your (and my) argument about switching to a more traditional way of shaving and guess what. He has 24 likes and no dislikes about his suggestion. Biggrin

(08-01-2013, 09:22 AM)geordie sam Wrote: Well lads,as is sometimes the case, I find myself slightly out of step with the VAST majority on here,I have used both and can honestly say that (imho) there is nothing wrong with good quality GEL not FOAM mind you, that IS RUBBISH, but a good gel I find gives a good drag free shave.
Horses for courses,there are as many poor quality hard shave soaps,as there are poor quality gels.Johnny,surely if you have never used a quality gel you honestly can't give a valid opinion,( in your words "be thankful that you have never used anything in a can") give it a go,I think you may well be suprised.
Sam.

Sam, while your point about commenting on something one has never tried is well taken, in this case Johnny has it exactly right. As you can tell from my SOTD photos, I enjoy all of the trappings of a traditional wet shave. However, sometimes it just isn't practical. When I went to Lisbon for four days earlier this summer, I only had carry-on luggage for the flights to and from Edinburgh and had no idea where I might easily find DE blades for the two traditional razors I usually carry with me. Instead, I threw in a 5-blade cartridge razor (Schick Hydro 5, though I have used the Gillette Fusion as well) and a travel can of a name brand gel. For four days I got mediocre shaves at best and stubble was beginning to grow back within a couple of hours. The shave itself isn't nearly as comfortable or smooth as a traditional shave and the canned gel's scent, while not unpleasant, has a chemical and generic smell to it. So, I am someone who does shave both ways and the traditional way, while perhaps a bit more time consuming, is the much more satisfying way to go in my opinion.

(I take it this means if I ever get back to Newcastle that I just lost that glass of red wine you promised. 24 )

2 11,211
 08-01-2013, 10:29 AM
User Info
Actually, the part that got me to go WTF - if y'all'll excuse my klatchian - is the part where the writer of the blogpost deceides to buy the smaller of the two cans for the same price so he can carry a whopping 225 grams less in his bag...

...and off course, a shavestick and a cheap brush would weight even less than the small can do Huh

3 3,580
 08-01-2013, 10:57 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(08-01-2013, 09:22 AM)geordie sam Wrote: Well lads,as is sometimes the case, I find myself slightly out of step with the VAST majority on here,I have used both and can honestly say that (imho) there is nothing wrong with good quality GEL not FOAM mind you, that IS RUBBISH, but a good gel I find gives a good drag free shave.
Sam.

Sure I can. I can be thankful that I have never used a gel or a foam. Why on earth would I want to stray from my morning bliss of a good brush and suds?

What I cannot do is give an opinion on what gel/foam is good, better, best since I have never tried any of them.

The mortician can shave my face with gel when I die.

173 23,553
 08-01-2013, 12:16 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
And Geordie was trying to be helpful in showing Johnny that there are other ways to shave than by just using a Good Brush and Suds.

The Mortician will probably just use a can of Super Nair.

1 819
 08-01-2013, 01:41 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Grumpy, as for as I'm concerned a good brush and suds is the only way to shave. That is why I am on a "wet shaving" forum.

As for as the mortician, I probably won't really care what he/she uses.Smile

173 23,553
 08-01-2013, 02:37 PM
User Info
I wouldn't dream of coming between you and your "morning bliss" Johnny,she sounds a lovely girl.Wink
Freddy,that glass has just been reduced in size.
Sam.

0 79