08-01-2013, 08:27 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
At one time I thought I might be among the lucky few and have Mr. Sabini create a brush for me, but after a promising start, it seems to have disintegrated.I completely understand and I wish him well. who knows? I t may happen, but it's on his terms. Meanwhile, I'm considering getting a Chubby 1 but I need some help from our cagey veterans. From the pictures it looks like Best is a little more fan shape, Two Band looks very bulby, the regular Super back to more of a fan shape. Is that true to life or are the drawings off? I think I want a two band but I don't care so much for bulbs

5 2,006
 08-01-2013, 08:42 AM
User Info
I have yet to see a two band "fan" shaped knot from Simpson, but I am sure it can be done. You may have to contact Mark (Simpson) to inquire about this. I am pretty sure the predominant bulb shape regarding two band increases the backbone with that hair type, which is very soft. You may end up with a brush lacking good backbone with a two band fan, but I am not sure. Manchurian which are mostly fan shaped have wonderful backbone and would be a great (yet more pricey approach).

63 2,128
 08-01-2013, 09:25 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
(08-01-2013, 08:42 AM)cessnabird Wrote: I have yet to see a two band "fan" shaped knot from Simpson, but I am sure it can be done. You may have to contact Mark (Simpson) to inquire about this. I am pretty sure the predominant bulb shape regarding two band increases the backbone with that hair type, which is very soft. You may end up with a brush lacking good backbone with a two band fan, but I am not sure. Manchurian which are mostly fan shaped have wonderful backbone and would be a great (yet more pricey approach).
Ok, I understand a little better, but I also hear that there's a three band, and on Simpson's site they reference a "Major" Super Badger to come. I'm so confused. I want the one with the best backbone and fan shape would be a nice extra, but no deal breaker.I get better shaves from soap, and I usually like to bowl lather.

5 2,006
 08-01-2013, 02:48 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Sounds like Manchurian might be the choice for you. The knot is now more hybrid or fan shaped and it has ample backbone. It is essentially a 2 band in appearance, but without the bulb and slightly less dense, providing improved flow through.

Regardless, contact Mark to discuss your requirement and he'll point you in the right direction.

91 17,850
 08-01-2013, 06:33 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I recommend you buy a nice example of Best. A good Best will have plenty of backbone with soft tips. Just ask your favorite vendor to select a nice one for you.

3-band Super will be more fan shaped, may have softer tips (some Best knots have Super soft tips), less backbone, and more density.

My personal favorite is my CH2 in 3-band Super, but my CH2 Best is so close, I couldn't choose between the two.

You pay a real premium for Super and Manchurian, but I think Best is best.

43 1,690
 09-02-2013, 12:28 PM
User Info
It is my impression that custom knot shapes are not something Simpsons will do beyond picking a knot from the general production that best conforms to your request. I read a thread somewhere about a large group/vendor buy where they wanted a more flat-top bulb knot, something that is pretty common among the family-era Simpsons. This was not something Simpsons was willing/able to do, for whatever reason.

So this means that a truly fan-shaped Simpsons custom 2-Band brush is not going to happen now. 2-Band hair is custom order only since early 2013. So it sounds like the hybrid shape that is typical of the current Manchurian heads would be a good choice for you.

I was skeptical of the bulb at first, too. I now own two Simfix brushes with 2-Band bulbs, a T3 and an M7. Both are fantastic. My 2-Band E1 is not a bulb, however. It has a more triangle-shaped knot that is a bit pointy. I think this is because it is early Simfix era.

1 255
 09-02-2013, 01:26 PM
User Info
If you're willing to pay the price, I'm sure Mark will make it happen. Whether it's truly worth the upcharge....

9 2,988
 09-02-2013, 02:10 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
I bought a Chubby 2 in Best off of Ebay sometime ago. The knot is great and I am happy with the Best grade but a 2 is way too big. I'll be having a brush sale soon and it will be one of them. I think a 1 in best will be a winner for me.

5 2,006
 09-18-2013, 05:28 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
(08-01-2013, 06:33 PM)Andrew Wrote: I recommend you buy a nice example of Best. A good Best will have plenty of backbone with soft tips. Just ask your favorite vendor to select a nice one for you.

3-band Super will be more fan shaped, may have softer tips (some Best knots have Super soft tips), less backbone, and more density.

My personal favorite is my CH2 in 3-band Super, but my CH2 Best is so close, I couldn't choose between the two.

You pay a real premium for Super and Manchurian, but I think Best is best.

+1Exclamation

1 744
 09-18-2013, 06:00 PM
User Info
You can also take a look at the photos on Superior Shave, since Jarrod takes photos of every Simpson in this inventory. Granted they are unused, but I think you can extrapolate whether it's a fan or bulb shape.

72 1,407
 09-18-2013, 10:23 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
Both Fan & Bulb have distinct characters, that have been covered well in posts above...It's great to have both! Superior Shave does have a one of a kind website that really shows great examples of the variation that exists with the Simpson brush line. If I wasn't lucky enough to be able to purchase brush's almost completely in person...I would shop on S.Shave's site. The Chubby 3 2-Band I scooped is a BIG bulb and is so Jumbo it makes me laugh.I now really want a Chubb 2 & 1 in some other hair grades...Like stated in an above post, the hair variance with Best is incredibly cool, I would say I basically have four diff. versions of Best grade over seven handle shapes...They range from a unique 3-Band quality grade to a beautiful chestnut bulb style and one brush that IS IDENTICAL in appearance and butter smooth tip feel to my other 3-Band super brush's hair! My KH2 is early SImfix that has a silver tip different than every other Best grade brush and might be more rare to come up with in the Simpson lotto of handles and hairBadger

4 792