08-01-2013, 09:01 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen, somethings in life draw us like a magnetic. Some even become an obsession. Kim Novak for me, for instance — but don't get me started on that.

Then there is the Feather stainless steel double edge razor. Oh yes, I am drawn to that razor like a magnet. I Think I went through four SS D-1 models, in the end giving up on the razor, because it failed to give me an acceptable shave.

Now, I am not neurotic about getting that perfect shave, especially on the neck, with the DE or the straight razor. A comfortable shave is more important to me than a crystal smooth shave. The D-1 was just impossible despite all my effort in experimenting and improvising with angles, blades, and so on.

I saw hope in the D-2 version and spent a fortune on one with the stand. The shave was good, comfortable, and the razor and stand looked quite handsome in the shave den. It also had the same impeccable workmanship as the D-1. The balance was ideal, the length of the razor, the feel of it, from the finish to the knurling on the handle, and I like a shave head that encloses the entire blade. Exposed blade tabs, especially those on the Gillettes, have never made sense to me.

I must note that thus far no stainless steel DE razor matches the Weber for its shave — for me. The Weber with Personna "red packs." The Weber would dazzle if the finish and texture were a bit smoother, like that on the Feather. Still, it is a well made razor and well worth the price.

I have a tough and unruly beard and an extremely sensitive skin. That's why I had to let go of all my aggressive razors, including the open combs that were crowned with a beautiful 7-day set of Joris. The Weber, the Edwin Jagger and the Muhle razors — since both have similar shave heads — are ideal for me. And now Feather D-2.

The Feather D-2 proved far superior to the D-1 in my shave. A far more comfortable shave, at that. The D-1 frustrated me; the D-2 pampered me. Yet I sold my D-2 along with the stand. I am not sure why except that I rarely used it, or my other DE razors, since I shave mostly with the straight razor. It did not take me long to regret having sold it, although it went to a gentleman member here, who deserves nothing but the best.

Yet here I am again with the Feather SS D-2. I bought one this week. No stand this time, because I was tapped out. I am looking for a used one at a far lower price.

The workmanship is superb, the sculpted texture smooth. The balance is perfect — for me — and the razor tucks in my hand as if it were made for me. The shave, the most important element, is close and comfortable.

Perhaps there is no single reason why I am drawn to the Feather D-2. There many reasons. The Feather D-2 has my name on it because of all the qualities I require of a DE razor. This time around my Feather stays in the shave den, even if I only might shave with it once in a while. On the other hand, I find myself using the DE razors more than before, scattering them among the my straights in the rotation.

And you, gentlemen, are you drawn to the Feather the way I am? Thanks.

132 2,614
 08-01-2013, 09:26 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Wow...never felt that way...so many nice razors that work without having to try them over and over...only way I would ever buy the new model Feather is if I could buy the head only...just in case...as far as workmanship and looks I have the PILS,TRADERE and Above the Tie and many IKONS as well as the Webers (all of them)...so i,m set for this life and beyond.SmileSmile

6 1,913
 08-01-2013, 09:31 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(08-01-2013, 09:26 AM)Harvey Wrote: Wow...never felt that way...so many nice razors that work without having to try them over and over...only way I would ever buy the new model Feather is if I could buy the head only...just in case...as far as workmanship and looks I have the PILS,TRADERE and Above the Tie and many IKONS as well as the Webers (all of them)...so i,m set for this life and beyond.SmileSmile

Keep dreaming Harvey.

100 12,436
 08-01-2013, 09:34 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(08-01-2013, 09:01 AM)Obie Wrote: Gentlemen, somethings in life draw us like a magnetic. Some even become an obsession. Kim Novak for me, for instance — but don't get me started on that.

Ahh, Kim. I grew up in the small town in Kansas where Kim's role in the movie Picnic was filmed. However, I was born a decade too late to be a first hand witness of the movie creation.

Still...

MaxP

BTW. Thanks for talking about the Feather as well :-)

47 1,376
 08-01-2013, 10:10 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
On some of these iffy razors why don,t we do a co-op buy and a pass around so we can all "test them" before we buy them....(send them all to me first and i,ll decide for everybody)Biggrin

6 1,913
 08-01-2013, 10:13 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Obie, I Bow to you sir. You do have a way with words.

As for as the AS-D2, it is the only DE razor I have, and I love it.

Please feel free to copy and paste your write-up in my AS-D2 Review.

http://shavenook.com/thread-feather-as-d...s-de-razor

173 23,483
 08-01-2013, 10:22 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Johnny, thank you for the kind words. I did cut and paste my comments in your Feather SS D-2 razor review. By the way, good review.

132 2,614
 08-01-2013, 10:25 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I saw that, and thank you sir for the kind words.

173 23,483
 08-01-2013, 06:51 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
I loved the AS D-1 so much I sold it and acquired the handle and the stand, the best parts of the razor. Biggrin The D2 reviews don't seem so compelling that I want to drop the bucks and have 2 of the same handles and/or stands.

I have been getting along well with my New Deluxe head mated to the Feather handle as of late if I need a very close shave, or a DE89 or 2010 R41 head if I need any easy, comfortable shave. The handle is superbly balanced with just the right amount of length and tactile grip without feeling like a Snap-On ratchet.

135 1,941
 08-02-2013, 02:19 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I've never been lured to the Feather DE.. This is one acquisition that I have thus-far avoided based on the repeated reviews of being way too mild. Maybe I am just looking for a way to avoid the high cost.

But the Weber, with a Personna Red or Med Prep? Obie, you and I agree entirely on this combo! Once I made the Personna/Weber connection, the contents of my shave den started to cower. the sell-off of non-contenders was fast and furious. The Personna/Weber is a holy grail combo for me.

On a different note.. Rod Neep makes stands similar to the Feather / iKon bases, but out of other materials. Might be worth a look.

33 914
 08-02-2013, 08:13 PM
User Info
For me it shaves too mild, i dont even feel the razor shaving. I prefer a SS 1940's style

0 606
 08-09-2013, 03:42 PM
User Info
I too, have been so drawn to the Feather AS-D2 for a while now but the cost is what is keeping me from it. I have a polished head Weber (use Personna Red, and Gillette Black) and get such awesome shaves and happy with it, but for some reason I'm so drawn to the finish and look of the Feather. Perhaps some day....

2 102
 08-09-2013, 03:59 PM
User Info
I had the D1 twice, with the stand. Sold them both. They were unusable for me. I tried every angle known to mankind and aliens in the universe. Nothing worked.

Then bought the D2, without the stand - as I own 40-50 DE razors, a stand is just one extra thing that's in the way.
If I only owned a couple of DE razors, I would use the razor and rest it on its stand in the bathroom - but with my growing collection, a stand is just not something of importance to me anymore....

But The D2 is still in my collection. Like it, don't love it, use it for daily shaves as it will have trouble removing 2-3 days of growth. Yes, I have seen Geofatboys video, but he has a beard type that can be removed with the left part of a major cliff and still get him DFS Tongue

22 5,043