08-01-2013, 10:31 AM
User Info
I have never straight razor shaved before, and therefore do not know if I want to invest a lot of money into it. Doing some shopping around I came across this starter set

http://www.vintagestraightrazor.com/prod...e-Set.html

Any thoughts?

Also I am a bit worried as my Adams apple protrudes quite a bit...I dont feel like having nasty gashes on my neck. Anyone have some pointers?

0 4
 08-01-2013, 11:09 AM
User Info
IMHO, there are two potential problems with this set and its really with the straight razor itself. First, you don't know who makes it. Generally speaking, unless you really know what you are getting, I would want to know who makes it and where it comes from; razors from China, Pakistan, and that area (the ones that are usually much, much cheaper) tend to have major manufacturing issues.

Second, and more important, it will not be shave-ready. Even when you buy a brand new razor, with a factory-sharpened edge, it still needs to be honed.

If you're trying to save money and want to get a "starter kit" I would recommend going to Whipped Dog. They carry a "sight unseen" deal; for $41 you get a vintage honed straight razor. They aren't the prettiest but they will be sharp and reliable.

Add another $25 and get the "poor man's strop." For $66 you get a complete set from a vendor with a great reputation.

72 1,407
 08-01-2013, 12:23 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
That sounds like a fine start in going to Whipped Dog.

1 819
 08-02-2013, 08:02 PM
User Info
(08-01-2013, 11:09 AM)jpakstis Wrote: IMHO, there are two potential problems with this set and its really with the straight razor itself. First, you don't know who makes it. Generally speaking, unless you really know what you are getting, I would want to know who makes it and where it comes from; razors from China, Pakistan, and that area (the ones that are usually much, much cheaper) tend to have major manufacturing issues.

Second, and more important, it will not be shave-ready. Even when you buy a brand new razor, with a factory-sharpened edge, it still needs to be honed.

If you're trying to save money and want to get a "starter kit" I would recommend going to Whipped Dog. They carry a "sight unseen" deal; for $41 you get a vintage honed straight razor. They aren't the prettiest but they will be sharp and reliable.

Add another $25 and get the "poor man's strop." For $66 you get a complete set from a vendor with a great reputation.

+1 Great advice!

75 20,883