04-16-2012, 06:43 PM
User Info
Has anyone tried these knots? I love the look of it and have considered getting one for a worn out brush I put away.

Thanks

9 451
 04-16-2012, 06:58 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I have one in a restored Ever-Ready that I bought. I love the look of it as well. It is pretty stiff and has quite a bit of scritch to it. The one I have is definitely not soft, but it's especially good with soaps. If you like soft tips, you might want to go for something else, but it is a nice knot IMHO.

52 788
 04-16-2012, 07:39 PM
User Info
(04-16-2012, 06:58 PM)greyhawk Wrote: I have one in a restored Ever-Ready that I bought. I love the look of it as well. It is pretty stiff and has quite a bit of scritch to it. The one I have is definitely not soft, but it's especially good with soaps. If you like soft tips, you might want to go for something else, but it is a nice knot IMHO.

I can deal with a bit of scritch and a stiffer badger actually sounds nice. Sounds like a 'maybe' for me then. Looks with scritch or just a typical looking badger knot... I may go with the looks simply because I don't use the brush at all now and think black would look nice in the handle.

Thanks.

9 451
 04-16-2012, 08:34 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Black badger hair is usually stiff and scratchy,like the one use by Omega (I have used two Omega black badger hair brushes in the past).However I have a Vie Long with black badger that has soft tips and its pretty firm with some flow.If TGN black badger hair knots are like the VL hair,you have a winner then.

86 7,123
 04-17-2012, 04:53 AM
User Info
I would also recommend taking a look at Whipped Dog knots. They're cheaper, and in my opinion, just as good as the TGN knots.

The only downside is that the selection is rather limited (Just pure black badger & silvertip) as are the sizes.

1 39
 04-17-2012, 08:48 AM
User Info
(04-17-2012, 04:53 AM)pezhore Wrote: I would also recommend taking a look at Whipped Dog knots. They're cheaper, and in my opinion, just as good as the TGN knots.

The only downside is that the selection is rather limited (Just pure black badger & silvertip) as are the sizes.

Thanks Pez, I'll have a look around.

9 451
 04-17-2012, 08:56 AM
User Info
I have this one that Rudy Vey made for me. I have over 50 brushes of many variety and types, and this one is the scrubbiest, stiffest badger by a good margin. Somewhat scratchy and very exfoliating. I use it on days where I have gone a few days without a shave.

0 419
 04-17-2012, 12:35 PM
User Info
That brush is a beauty. And like you, I like to use those scrubby brushes when I haven't shaved for a while. They get under and lift the hairs really well.

9 451
 04-18-2012, 12:57 AM
User Info
(04-16-2012, 08:34 PM)Teiste Wrote: Black badger hair is usually stiff and scratchy,like the one use by Omega (I have used two Omega black badger hair brushes in the past).However I have a Vie Long with black badger that has soft tips and its pretty firm with some flow.If TGN black badger hair knots are like the VL hair,you have a winner then.

TGN's black badger isn't really close to Omega in terms of quality, I can't comment on the Vie-Long however.

0 652