08-03-2013, 01:49 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Firstly, I'm posting my (so called) review here, instead of in the Soap & Cream Reviews area, as Nathan has already posted a review of this shaving soap there -- Penhaligon's English Fern Shaving Soap (tallow version) -- plus after confirming with Phil I shouldn't post a review of the same product (causing duplication) in that area.

Secondly, I didn't pay for this shaving soap, I was very! fortunate to be the lucky winner via a contest Phil was running, see here.

Thirdly, generally speaking I'm not a shaving soap person (true as of writing this), I tend to prefer shaving creams, therefore my experience with shaving soaps is somewhat limited.

Fourthly, so far I've only used this shaving soap three times, not because I don't like it, far from it, in fact I love it (more on that later), but due to deciding to only use it on *special* occasions -- main reason being, as this is an out of production product, when it's gone, it's gone, therefore I wish to savour it for as long as possible...

Fifthly, if you've made it down this far, sorry for the above waffle, it's now only fair I stop waffling, boring everyone, and get on with the review Blush

[Image: VfuuOhI.jpg]

Vintage Penhaligons (Tallow) English Fern shave soap

Scent: Where to start? I'm not the best at describing scents, nor sadly is my nose "cultured". I've heard others talk about intoxicating scents, but never really experienced it myself (within the confines of shaving creams and/or soaps). There are scents I like, some I like a lot! and others I don't really care for, but the scent from this shaving soap is intoxicating -- it's bright (not in an overpowering or unnatural way), fresh and natural rolled up into one intoxicating package. I love! it.

I'd best describe the scent as a mixture of lavender (floral), woody and earthy scents combined into a magical, natural, outdoorsy scent.

When lathering and during the shave, the brightness tones down somewhat, the overall scent is still there, but in a more subtle way. Very! nice.

[Image: olonP3K.jpg]

Vintage Penhaligons (Tallow) English Fern shave soap

Lather: I consider this shaving soap "thirsty", after three uses I still haven't dialed in the water ratio to make a *perfect* lather from this shaving soap (on the first pass). Don't get me wrong, each time the first pass lather was (much) more than acceptable, but each time the second pass lather exploded into wonderland territory.

Loading enough soap onto the shaving brush doesn't appear to be the issue here, as the first pass lather is dense and slick, with excellent glide, it's just the second pass lather ups the ante. I put this down to not quite getting the water ratio correct on the first pass lather -- additionally the extra moisture on my skin from the first pass causes the second pass lather to move up the scale, which is some achievement seeing as the first pass lather is no slouch in quality.

In all honesty, on each of the three uses, on the second pass lather, the shaving brush exploded with the densest and slickest lather I've experienced from a shaving soap or cream.

Also keep in mind, I exclusively face lather, this may very well have a bearing on what I'm seeing with this shaving soap.

[Image: ZxGSfyf.jpg]

2013-07-02: Shave of the Day - 7th Wedding Anniversary - First use of Vintage Penhaligons (Tallow) English Fern shave soap

Skin care: Simply outstanding. I've not experienced a shaving soap or cream that has left my skin feeling so good after a shave. Absolutely no dryness, skin feels hydrated and remains so for a few hours afterward. I (red hair, extremely curly and thick hair, with pale skin, freckles, "sensitive" skin) wouldn't go without my post shave routine, but this shaving soap makes me think I could chance it if I wanted to lively dangerously.

Wrapping up: A truly excellent shaving soap (this is top shelf stuff), with an intoxicating scent and wonderful skin care properties. I would go as far as saying, if this shaving soap was still produced, I could see myself using it (almost) exclusively. It's that good in my eyes.

23 1,872
 08-03-2013, 02:09 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
Thanks for the review, Mike. I'd love to see some shots of the lather itself if you're down!

I personally don't want to try it, because I know it will be good. Then when I can't get anymore, I'll hate myself. Blush

13 599
 08-03-2013, 02:23 PM
User Info
Good review, thanks, Mike. Your experience pretty much parallels mine with this soap. It's wonderful, probably slightly better than the equivalent Blenheim Bouquet.

183 12,002
 08-03-2013, 02:34 PM
User Info
Mike, thanks for the review and savour the soap! Smile

75 20,883
 08-03-2013, 06:07 PM
User Info
Mike,

Enjoyed the review. An amazing soap that is worth assigning to the special days.

29 1,731
 08-03-2013, 09:11 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Nice review, Mike ... enjoy this special soap. Belated Happy Anniversary also! Smile

102 17,662
 08-04-2013, 05:04 AM
User Info
Great review Mike.
Interestingly enough, EF smells like a sophisticated version of Brut to me.

0 54
 08-04-2013, 08:41 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(08-03-2013, 02:09 PM)VT_Hokie Wrote: I'd love to see some shots of the lather itself if you're down!

Matt, I'm not sure what the wife will think (or believe me) when she sees me going into the bathroom with a camera... I'll have to use the shaving soap again to get some lather shots, looks like it will now be on deck for tomorrows (Monday 5th August 2013) shave...

(08-04-2013, 05:04 AM)lt114 Wrote: Interestingly enough, EF smells like a sophisticated version of Brut to me.

Lucas, I did say nor sadly is my nose "cultured" Wink

23 1,872
 08-13-2013, 07:30 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(08-03-2013, 02:09 PM)VT_Hokie Wrote: I'd love to see some shots of the lather itself if you're down!

Hi Matt

Here you go, better late than never...

[Image: gGHm8AM.jpg]

Vintage Penhaligons Tallow English Fern shave soap - immediately after initial loading

[Image: vZeuojz.jpg]

Vintage Penhaligons Tallow English Fern shave soap - after 1st pass lather

[Image: w9KpEcr.jpg]

Vintage Penhaligons Tallow English Fern shave soap - after 2nd pass lather

[Image: GiyOYbF.jpg]

Vintage Penhaligons Tallow English Fern shave soap - lather squeezed out (after 2nd and final pass)

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 08-16-2013, 03:48 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Enjoyable review, thanks for sharing!

91 17,795