08-03-2013, 09:47 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Well Gents here is the deal. I just got finished with my trial of the Monsieur Charles shavette pass around. Yes it was fun shaving like my Grandfather did. Yes I did pretty well by not slicing off anything of import. I was feeling pretty bad assed about it too!!! Alas my turn was over so today I sent it on.

Tonite I had a show with my new band and as I prepared I picked up my newly acquired Gem 1912 razor. As soon as I began shaving I heard that beautiful sound that only a Single Edge razor sings while peeling away the whiskers. LOUD AND PROUD.. My thoughts were of how much I had been missing that sound. Next it was how much I missed the close smooth shave that my SE's have been giving me. Yes the novelty of the straight wore off pretty quickly..

This was my second shave with the old GEM and it didn't disappoint. After 7 shaves with the Mr. Charlie iIwas settling for a CCS. WOW now I'm back to the BBS that I have been spoiled on with the SE's. The 1912 is a VERY GOOD razor for me. It's almost up there with the J-Bar. I was kind of in a hurry so I skipped a part of my prep. No worries though. The GEM performed wonderfully. VdH soap, 2 and 1/2 passes, and Clubman Special Reserve and I was off.

PLUS the gig was great. I am sure in part due to my nice clean babies butt smooth shave.. Hey even the young girls were givin' me the business. Made this old bag o' wind feel pretty good...lol

THE MORAL OF THE STORY:
To anyone looking to try SE razors I would add the GEM 1912 to my list of easy to acquire and inexpensive single edge razors on the bay. Think I paid less than $10 for mine plus maybe $3.50 shipping. They have a ton of them out there. They are some of the coolest looking razors out there. They are 100 years old and shaving with that is cool. Plus they are performers. They get the job done. Who knows you may become a L.O.S.E.R. like me. And if not you can pass it on to a noob....

I also just got a STAR 1912 that I have yet to try. They are very similar in appearance but I see a subtle difference in the blade exposure area. Due to this, I would like to compare them side by side. That will be in the near future so stay tuned....

HAPPY SHAVES !!!!!

5 1,151
 08-03-2013, 09:54 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Sounds like a great day overall, Sav! Biggrin
There's something truly gratifying in terms of the 'sound' of a good shave ... one knows it when they hear it!
The Gem 1912 ... SE razors like this are now on my 'to try' list.

102 17,670
 08-03-2013, 10:04 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Get one Ravi. You will enjoy it!!!

(08-03-2013, 09:54 PM)Agravic Wrote: Sounds like a great day overall, Sav! Biggrin
There's something truly gratifying in terms of the 'sound' of a good shave ... one knows it when they hear it!

5 1,151
 08-04-2013, 04:45 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Yes SE make great shavers.

100 12,445
 08-04-2013, 05:26 AM
User Info
Thanks for that post SJR!

Every once in a while I get the idea that I need to try a Straight. Then I remember how I'd rather face bullets launched in my direction by the enemy rather than willingly put extremely sharp steel w/o a safety bar against my skin. I think I'll stick to my safety razors.

I'm surprised you didn't get that sound though. I would have thought it would have made the "buttering toast" sound bigtime. I love that sound!

32 6,309
 08-04-2013, 07:27 AM
User Info
Ah yes, buttering the toast on the way to a BBS shave. Nice post, Sav.

47 1,270
 08-04-2013, 09:58 AM
User Info
I have a GEM Featherweight and love it. The 1912 is on my list.

0 37
 08-04-2013, 10:48 AM
User Info
Great to hear you are really enjoying the SEs, Joe!Biggrin

75 20,883
 08-04-2013, 11:16 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Ravi, The Sav is giving you some good advice. I have one and love it. Easy to use, easy to clean, wonderfully close shaves, historic (100 years old), and classy looking. What more could one ask for from a razor. Winky

(08-03-2013, 10:04 PM)savagejoerude Wrote: Get one Ravi. You will enjoy it!!!

(08-03-2013, 09:54 PM)Agravic Wrote: Sounds like a great day overall, Sav! Biggrin

2 11,211
 08-04-2013, 10:53 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
I always thought I would never shave with a straight razor either. But I proved myself wrong. The first few weeks I wondered what the hell I got myself into. But now I'm getting close, irritation free shaves (even less irritation than I ever got from my best DE) and I'm loving it. Plus the hair seems to grow back slower for some reason which can be a positive if I don't have time to shave any particular day and I already shaved the night before.

Anyhow, YMMV but I'm fully converted. Never say never!! Biggrin

14 870
 08-05-2013, 01:20 AM
User Info
I use my SE Streamline 3 times a week....

0 606