08-05-2013, 11:36 AM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
Looking to buy a Gillette Big Fellow with the New Improved head. Let me know if you have one in good condition you're willing to part with.

Here's a pic of what it looks like:
[Image: sdigqu.jpg]

Thanks,
Greg

53 555
 08-05-2013, 12:33 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Greg, I'll certainly defer to those who are a better razor historian than I (which are most of the members here), but I believe the head shown on the top left is that of a Gillette Old, not New.

EDIT - nevermind. I did a bit of research, and it is indeed the "New Improved" iteration of the Big Fellow. Disregard my prior statements. Carry on.

27 860
 08-05-2013, 12:35 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
That's not an Old.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

29 466
 08-05-2013, 12:37 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
(08-05-2013, 12:35 PM)Samjax Wrote: That's not an Old.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

yeah, you caught my booboo before I could fix it. mea culpa.

27 860
 08-06-2013, 02:55 PM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
Haha... No worries. I've done my share of "speaking too soon" as well...

53 555
 08-06-2013, 05:03 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I have a gold one of these from 1922 according to the serial number. There is no way on the world I am selling it. Good luck with your search.

It is a great razor, very well balanced and weighted. The NI head is a strange beast, but a good shaver. It has a huge blade gap and pretty much zero blade exposure. Almost makes you wonder how it works at all, but it does and very well. It is a very quiet razor and is very sensitive to pressure. It goes from mild to vicious with the slightest pressure application. I use mine with a shim and use no pressure this creates a slight blade exposure and increases the already huge blade gap. I like using it without the shim too, but the shim seems to give it a bit of a bite that I like to have. The handle, weight and balance of this razor is second to none. I am not usually a fan of longer handles, but on this razor it works perfectly. It's amazing that razor this old works this well. It really holds its own next to most of my milder razors. It took me a while to learn it since it makes so little sound and the whole mild behavior until you use slight pressure and then watch out! I finally learned the proper technique with it an am able to get a BBS very easily. It's not my daily driver, but I enjoy using it a lot.

Again, good luck on the search. Are you specifically looking for the BF or just a good NI head razor? NI's came in the 3 piece razors and from what I understand the 3 piece NI's are great also.

25 1,705
 08-07-2013, 09:23 AM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
(08-06-2013, 05:03 PM)vferdman Wrote: Are you specifically looking for the BF or just a good NI head razor? NI's came in the 3 piece razors and from what I understand the 3 piece NI's are great also.

Yeah, I'm looking for the Big Fellow NI specifically. I've got a Gillette Tuckaway head that I believe is a NI and it's fantastic!

I really like the longer handles and I just enjoy the overall aesthetics of the BF.

53 555
 08-07-2013, 02:04 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(08-07-2013, 09:23 AM)GregDR Wrote:
(08-06-2013, 05:03 PM)vferdman Wrote: Are you specifically looking for the BF or just a good NI head razor? NI's came in the 3 piece razors and from what I understand the 3 piece NI's are great also.

Yeah, I'm looking for the Big Fellow NI specifically. I've got a Gillette Tuckaway head that I believe is a NI and it's fantastic!

I really like the longer handles and I just enjoy the overall aesthetics of the BF.

BF with the NI head is a great razor and you will love the ergonomics of it. It is perfectly weighted and balanced. I used mine today with a shim and really enjoyed it. Still wish it was a bit more aggressive. Even with the shim it's pretty mild for me, but I do manage a BBS with it and no irritation at all. Just the growth shows up sooner with it than with a more aggressive razor like Fatip. Still, a hell of a razor and what a piece of history!

Good luck with the search. I got mine on ebay by chance. No box and the handle was cracked, so it was cheap. I glued the handle back in about five minutes. Easy! These older Gillettes suffered this fate a lot, so do not be deterred by the cracked handles.

25 1,705
 08-16-2013, 10:57 AM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
Still looking... Seems like ever since I posted a WTB all the ones on the bay are skyrocketing in price...

53 555
 08-19-2013, 08:14 AM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
Found. please delete.

53 555