04-17-2012, 06:54 AM
User Info
I am 48 years young so I do consider myself a shaving veteran and a DE shaver for almost 5 years. Yet when it came to Pre - Post shave care I am embarrassed to say that I just did not put much thought or effort into that side of shaving. Well, with age comes experience and hopefully wisdom as I realize the importance of skin care especially around the face. Having a good Pre-Post shave routine has provided me with much better shaves, better feeling and looking skin with less irritation in those areas where redness and bumps would often times persist. I did use a pre-shave oil for several years, but I have recently switched to a product from Italy called PREP which is advertised as both a Pre/Post shave cream. I have really become a fan of this product as a Pre-shave cream that helps to soften my beard and relax my face. It is also great as a Post shave cream that is not greasy or oily and if provides my face with an all day protection. It reminds me of RazoRock Aftershave Wax which I am a huge fan. PREP has Eucalyptus oil and peppermint oil for a nice soothing cool feeling. I like to apply Osage Rub onto my face and after a minute or two then apply the PREP Cream which compliment each other very nicely. 3P Cream and Proraso Pre/Post shave cream are also popular Italian products that are very similar to PREP and I would not hesitate to purchase any of them. I choice PREP just because it was on sale the day I ordered. I also have the 444 aftershave balm/gel which I mix with an oldie but a goodie Aqua Velva Ice Blue Aftershave. I enjoy the cooling and soothing feel that 444 combined with AV provides. 444 does leave my face feeling just a tad sticky most likely due to the glycerin yet glycerin I discovered is one of the best products for your skin as it attracts moisture. These are all great products and I have noticed much improvements with my shaving experience and my facial skin since I started to Smilepay more attention to the total shave experience. One other note is that I have also incorporated the use of an Alum bloc after I do a cold water rinse on my face when I am finished shaving. I then let the Alum dry and rinse. I have also mixed Witch Hazel with Glycerin, Aloe Vera, and several drops of AV for fragrance as my own personal skin food. For those that have never used any of the Italian Pre/Post shave cream products(3P, PREP, Proraso), or the RazoRock Aftershave Wax I encourage you to explorer and try these products yourself.

0 123
 04-17-2012, 07:15 AM
User Info
I really like the Razorock Aftershave Wax also, and it doesn't take much. I also like to cut my aftershaves with witch hazel. Not only do I get the benefits of the witch hazel, but the scent of the aftershave is toned down a notch so that it doesn't bother others when I'm in confined areas. I usually go 50/50 on the mixture and use a travel flip top bottle. Another benefit is that my aftershaves last longer.

Clayton

6 617
 04-17-2012, 08:34 AM
User Info
Clayton if you enjoy the RazoRock Aftershave Wax then you owe it to yourself to take a look at PREP, 3P, and Proraso Pre/Post shave creams as RazoRock Aftershave Wax is based upon these traditional creams. The texture of PREP is a little thicker and you get 100ml as compared to 60ml of RazoRock. Try also adding some glycerin and aloe vera gel to your mixture of Witch Hazel and AS and see how you like.

0 123
 04-17-2012, 09:01 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I too am a firm believer in using one of the above mentioned products as a pre shave before every shave. The few times in the last year or so that I didn't use one of the products I couldn't believe how much tougher my beard was. I haven't tried the RazoRock but I will be adding that to my list. There is one more that in my opinion deserves mentioning and that is Vitos Pre Shave. While I prefer Proraso, 3P, and Prep slightly more it's still in my rotation and it's the cheapest of the group.

45 3,955
 04-17-2012, 09:08 AM
  • Qhead
  • Cleveland, Ohio
User Info
mctmatt - good post. I too am learning the benefit of quality (but not necessarily expensive) pre and post shave treatments. I am using Proraso pre/post and it is awesome!! Tongue

A side question - the jar of Proraso pre/post I just bought does not have a label. The box has a label with ingredients/instructions, etc. but the jar has no label? Is that right or is it a mistake by the manufacturer? If so, should I ask the vendor for a jar with the label? I suppose it doesn't matter much but I'd like to get rid of the box but still have the label Undecided

Thanks, Jeff

15 185
 04-17-2012, 09:59 AM
User Info
(04-17-2012, 09:01 AM)tgutc Wrote: I too am a firm believer in using one of the above mentioned products as a pre shave before every shave. The few times in the last year or so that I didn't use one of the products I couldn't believe how much tougher my beard was. I haven't tried the RazoRock but I will be adding that to my list. There is one more that in my opinion deserves mentioning and that is Vitos Pre Shave. While I prefer Proraso, 3P, and Prep slightly more it's still in my rotation and it's the cheapest of the group.

They are also great as a Post Shave healing and moisturizing cream after you shave. PREP contains antiseptic which makes it great for cuts or rashes from the blade. Vitos is on my list as you can get a large amount for a low cost.

(04-17-2012, 09:08 AM)Qhead Wrote: mctmatt - good post. I too am learning the benefit of quality (but not necessarily expensive) pre and post shave treatments. I am using Proraso pre/post and it is awesome!! Tongue

A side question - the jar of Proraso pre/post I just bought does not have a label. The box has a label with ingredients/instructions, etc. but the jar has no label? Is that right or is it a mistake by the manufacturer? If so, should I ask the vendor for a jar with the label? I suppose it doesn't matter much but I'd like to get rid of the box but still have the label Undecided

Thanks, Jeff

Jeff,

I have not used the Proraso Pre/Post cream, so I could not tell you how if it is packaged correctly or not. Hopefully one of the vendors such as bullgoose will be able to chime in and provide better information. I do know when I started to check out the Pre/Post shave creams that they all were very similar and all were considered excellent products. I purchased PREP because it was on sale at the time and no other reason.

0 123
 04-17-2012, 10:10 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I've got some PREP and RR AS Wax on their way from Joe at Italian Barber as we speak.

You mentioned that PREP has eucalyptus? That's frustrating. I bought it because it's never mentioned in any of the descriptions, and I got an answer from another user that said there was none. (Allergies in my house make eucalyptus a no-no.)

Oh, since you like RazoRock products, have you tried using their shave gel as a pre-shave?

10 1,858
 04-17-2012, 11:58 AM
User Info
Prep does not have eucalyptus. It has Camphor, menthol, wintergreen, peppermint and clove.

2 697
 04-17-2012, 12:48 PM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(04-17-2012, 11:58 AM)SteelTown Wrote: Prep does not have eucalyptus. It has Camphor, menthol, wintergreen, peppermint and clove.

Score! Thanks for the info, Dan.

10 1,858
 04-17-2012, 01:46 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Was the Proraso with no label a 100g bottle or the 500g bottle? If it's the 100g I would have to guess it's a mistake. However, I have not purchased a 500g bottle so I could not tell you how they typically come packaged.

45 3,955
 04-17-2012, 04:33 PM
  • Qhead
  • Cleveland, Ohio
User Info
It's the smaller bottle. Contacted the vendor and it appears to be a manufacturers error as other jars in stock do have labels. Weird.

15 185
 04-20-2012, 08:55 PM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Got my Prep in the mail today. Seems to work pretty well so far.

10 1,858
 04-21-2012, 06:29 AM
User Info
(04-20-2012, 08:55 PM)Songwind Wrote: Got my Prep in the mail today. Seems to work pretty well so far.

Let me know your thoughts on the PREP as both Pre and Post shave.

0 123
 04-21-2012, 09:10 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
I use Proraso Pre/Post cream before and after shaving. I also use Proraso ASB and Alum Block after a shave. I just love the cooling and soothing feeling of the Proraso.

7 858
 04-21-2012, 09:44 AM
User Info
(04-21-2012, 09:10 AM)Striky Wrote: I use Proraso Pre/Post cream before and after shaving. I also use Proraso ASB and Alum Block after a shave. I just love the cooling and soothing feeling of the Proraso.

I think it works great both before and after. My beard is lot softer when I apply the PREP before I shave and I enjoy the all day moisturizing feeling that it gives my face when I apply it after a shave. I like that it allows my skin time to absorb it instead of evaporating like so many other balms or lotions that I used to purchase.

0 123
 04-21-2012, 10:03 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I always use pre and post shave products and agree that it makes a positive difference in my shave. I have even used regular Noxema (in the jar) as a pre-shave and it is very good. Other excellent pre-shaves that I have used are Prairie Creations pre-shave oil, RazoRock Shave Gel, Burt's Bees Lemon & Vitamin-E oil, Proraso pre and post shave, among others. My favorite aftershave balms are Prairie Creations Unscented, RazorRock Aftershave Wax, and Geo. F. Trumper Skin Food. I am sure there are others that I am forgetting.

2 11,211
 04-21-2012, 10:33 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
(04-21-2012, 09:44 AM)mctmatt Wrote:
(04-21-2012, 09:10 AM)Striky Wrote: I use Proraso Pre/Post cream before and after shaving. I also use Proraso ASB and Alum Block after a shave. I just love the cooling and soothing feeling of the Proraso.

I think it works great both before and after. My beard is lot softer when I apply the PREP before I shave and I enjoy the all day moisturizing feeling that it gives my face when I apply it after a shave. I like that it allows my skin time to absorb it instead of evaporating like so many other balms or lotions that I used to purchase.

I have no comparisons, as I have used Proraso pre/post cream since day one. And I'm only a few weeks into my DE razor shaving. But I totally agree with your statements.

7 858
 04-21-2012, 12:32 PM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(04-21-2012, 06:29 AM)mctmatt Wrote: Let me know your thoughts on the PREP as both Pre and Post shave.

I have 2 uses out of it so far, and I can definitely say I'm impressed. I was a little worried about the scent at first - the camphor was a bit overwhelming. Turned out I had just over-applied. I used a smaller dollop today and got good glide and protection without the eye-burning. Smile

I actually messed up my blade angle during my ATG pass yesterday, so I had pretty uncomfortable skin under my neck. I used RR wax right after the shave, which was awesome. It started burning again a few hours later so I touched up with PREP in the really bad spots. It was really nice relief, and my neck is feeling almost back to normal today.

I declare the PREP experiment an unqualified success!

10 1,858
 04-21-2012, 12:40 PM
User Info
I am a huge fan of RR Aftershave Wax, as well as the 444 balm, but they both come in small sizes and a little more expensive than PREP, 3P, and Proraso. There are times that my skin just needs more than a dime size amount so at those times the PREP is used alone or after the 444 or RR A/S Wax has been applied yet my skin is still calling for more.

0 123
 04-22-2012, 08:25 AM
User Info
I have not tried the 444 yet, but I'm a big fan of Vifrex, which sounds like a similar product. I posted about it recently, but it seems I'm the only fan.

4 112