08-07-2013, 03:24 PM
User Info
Continuing my exploration - conquer? - of 2 Band brushes and artisan handles I acquired this wonderful "E7" handle from Bob Quinn with a WSP 2 Band "Special Grade" knot... Cool

Knot: 24/50mm
Handle: 60mm

This wood handle is truly a piece of art and the Ironwood material gives the perfect weight to it. Thanks to Bob for making it happen!

I have only palm lathered her yet, but the tips feel very (!!) soft...

I will report back on knot performance once I have tried it a few times...

Enjoy the pics!

[Image: Ls02cD5.jpg]
[Image: tHp1Qqy.jpg]
[Image: KI7WVce.jpg]
[Image: DlZBavp.jpg]
[Image: s1FLJTg.jpg]
[Image: Lw7hZ6W.jpg]

31 1,554
 08-07-2013, 03:34 PM
User Info
Very nice! It looks wonderful, I look forward of your full review. Is this the special grade HMW or Fine badger?

63 2,128
 08-07-2013, 03:38 PM
User Info
Great looking brush. I like that handle style in pics. Some day I'll try one in the hand.

1 77
 08-07-2013, 03:39 PM
User Info
It is HMW...
(08-07-2013, 03:34 PM)cessnabird Wrote: Very nice! It looks wonderful, I look forward of your full review. Is this the special grade HMW or Fine badger?

31 1,554
 08-07-2013, 03:54 PM
User Info
Wow, that is a really nice brush! If Bob is the handle maker, should it be called a 'B7'? Smile

2 102
 08-07-2013, 04:14 PM
User Info
Nice. I will await the full review.

(08-07-2013, 03:39 PM)German Wrote: It is HMW...
(08-07-2013, 03:34 PM)cessnabird Wrote: Very nice! It looks wonderful, I look forward of your full review. Is this the special grade HMW or Fine badger?

63 2,128
 08-07-2013, 04:25 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Nice brush, German! Smile
The knot and handle are nicely matched.

102 17,670
 08-07-2013, 05:18 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Superb Georg!

91 17,857
 08-07-2013, 05:25 PM
User Info
NOW THAT'S A BRUSH! Superb choice on the handle material.

I'm awaiting a custom brush with this same hair grade so I'm especially excited and anxious to hear your impressions.

Please be sure to let us know how they compare to your beloved Simpsons 2 band which I too enjoy. Smile

64 796
 08-07-2013, 06:00 PM
User Info
Beautiful E7 German. That handle material has been on my radar for a while now. I think that you will really like that 2-band Super HMW knot. I look forward to hearing your thoughts after you've had some time with it.

(08-07-2013, 03:54 PM)SFGiantsFan Wrote: Wow, that is a really nice brush! If Bob is the handle maker, should it be called a 'B7'? Smile

Bob's company is Elite Razor, thus the E.

31 7,914
 08-07-2013, 07:03 PM
User Info
That's a spectacular looking brush, George. Funny, I just received a similar one today. The burl on yours is quite nice.

47 1,270
 08-07-2013, 07:08 PM
User Info
Great looking brush and the Desert Ironwood seems to have quite a few different shades/colours. Mine looks completely different to yours.

75 20,883
 08-07-2013, 07:37 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I love the look of Ironwood and it really looks good on your brush.

173 23,547
 08-08-2013, 03:08 AM
User Info
Another beauty from Bob. Congrats!

10 2,062
 08-08-2013, 03:54 AM
User Info
Lovely brush! Smile

2 5,532
 08-08-2013, 05:03 AM
User Info
I have one of Bob's brushes in Desert Ironwood. It has very contrasting colors, one side is dark and one is lighter colored.

I love the feel of the handle but hate the brush itself. It has had 2 different knots in it and they both shed like crazy.

I figured once all the hair falls out of it I'll see if I can get a D01 knot for it.

0 11
 08-10-2013, 05:34 AM
User Info
This has turned out to be an excellent brush!!!

First, the handle is simply beautiful in desert ironwood. The ergonomics of the "E7" handle I actually like better than the M7 original as the "lip" is set higher making it - for me - a more comfortable grip...

Now the knot... Lee (Asharperrazor) describes this "HMW Special Grade 2 Band " the following: This special grade of hair has been previously called Rooney Finest and can be found in Somerset era Simpson brushes.
Unlike the aforementioned grades of hair, we’ve used additional processes to remove the scratch, poke, or scrub commonly associated with hair of this grade.

I have never used Rooney Finest or a Somerset area Simpson. I can only compare it to my 2 Band brushes (WSP, Simpson, Rooney, TGN, M&F, Thäter).

My impressions are as follows:
- The knot is of medium density, like my Simpson M7 2 Band or a PJ 2.
- The tips are as soft as Simpson or Thäter 2 Band
- The hair is thicker and more resilient than 2 Band Simpson or Thäter
- It holds a LOT more water than my M7 2 Band
- Look and feel of the knot resembles to me Simpson Manchurian a lot more than regular Simpson 2 Band
- Actually the face feel of the WSP knot is very similar to my Jubilee in Manchurian - without the scrub!

Below some pics showing the WSP HMW Special Grade 2 Band next to the Jubilee. These are similar knot sizes in diameter and density (loft of the Jubilee is a bit higher). The look and feel of the individual hairs is very similar. The feel of the knot on the skin is similar.. they hold equally as much water and possess great flow through...

[Image: 6WhpVPN.jpg]

[Image: WYk0OlE.jpg]

The feel of the tips is different: The Manchurian provides noticable more scrub. This is much more prone in more dense Manchurian brushes (e.g. a D3 that I also own). It is not real a scritch but more a sensation of stiffness or poking...

The WSP tips are as soft as Simpson or Thäter 2 Band, while providing the other qualities of the Manchurian hair: more resilient, thicker hair, water load.

Now I am not saying that this is the same hair - I have no idea ... it just feels the same to me. If you are on the fence for a Simpson Manchurian but you are a bit concerned about its "pokiness", then the WSP HMW Special Grade will give you the Manchurian attributes with the softness of Thäter/Simpson 2 Band tips.

Now Lee says that those knots are treated (in some way) to remove the scritchiness of the hair... I don't know if the Manchurian hair from Simpson is treated in anyway... or if this statement should make you more uncomfortable ... (many knots are treated, bleached, or what else they may do...)

For me this HMW Special Grade knot is an excellent alternative to Manchurian with softer tips and at lesser cost - though not cheap...

It is different enough from Simpson 2 Band to not replace it - what could Biggrin

31 1,554
 08-10-2013, 05:49 AM
User Info
Wonderful Georg. Thanks for sharing your impressions. As I've never used a Simspon Manchurian I really enjoyed reading your comparison in that regard. I too find the tips to be as soft as the Simpson & Thater 2-bands that Rick let me borrow awhile back. The WSP just has more backbone as you also noticed.

I also enjoyed your impression on the E7 handle & I'm glad that you find the ergonomics to your liking.

31 7,914
 08-10-2013, 06:24 AM
User Info
Georg, excellent write up and description of this hair grade. I fiinally received my E7 with this wonderful grade of hair yesterday and can vouch for every word you said about.

This WSP 2 Band HMW special grade is HOLY GRAIL type stuff for me. It simply provides EVERYTHING I want in a knot. My journey may have very well have ended after discovering this grade of hair... I know famous last words. Smile

64 796
 08-10-2013, 06:28 AM
User Info
Thanks! The E7 handle is excellent workmanship. So much that I have another being made in a different wood and with a HMW Special Grade 3 Band knot that I ordered. I am a 2 Band kind of a guy. Hence I hope the 3 band will not disappoint especially in regards to softness. Have you tried the 3 band HMW Special grade?

(08-10-2013, 05:49 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Wonderful Georg. Thanks for sharing your impressions. As I've never used a Simspon Manchurian I really enjoyed reading your comparison in that regard. I too find the tips to be as soft as the Simpson & Thater 2-bands that Rick let me borrow awhile back. The WSP just has more backbone as you also noticed.

I also enjoyed your impression on the E7 handle & I'm glad that you find the ergonomics to your liking.

Pic or it didn't happen... Biggrin
(08-07-2013, 05:25 PM)Bravado13 Wrote: NOW THAT'S A BRUSH! Superb choice on the handle material.

I'm awaiting a custom brush with this same hair grade so I'm especially excited and anxious to hear your impressions.

Please be sure to let us know how they compare to your beloved Simpsons 2 band which I too enjoy. Smile

Pics please! Angel

I really enjoy this knot, too...

(08-10-2013, 06:24 AM)Bravado13 Wrote: Georg, excellent write up and description of this hair grade. I fiinally received my E7 with this wonderful grade of hair yesterday and can vouch for every word you said about.

This WSP 2 Band HMW special grade is HOLY GRAIL type stuff for me. It simply provides EVERYTHING I want in a knot. My journey may have very well have ended after discovering this grade of hair... I know famous last words. Smile

31 1,554