08-08-2013, 03:43 PM
User Info
I decided to clean my 2 boar brushes. I used the same technique that I use for my badger brushes. Build lather in hand using dish detergent then rinse. Then soak in about 4:1 ratio of water and vinegar for a minute. Then rinse with water and dry. Now neither brush will hold lather. Builds lather like crazy still but I need to return to the puck for each pass. Have I ruined my brushes and if not how do I get them back to their original performance? Just kep using them or maybe shampoo and condition? Huh
Thanks for any help
The brushes are SOC and B&B essential.

0 156
 08-09-2013, 11:21 AM
User Info
Well I don't know exactly Blush I NEVER put anything on my brushes except the soap or creams I use and MAYBE once a year a vinegar/water solution if I've been somewhere with nasty hard water.

I should think if you were to soak them in warm water a few times letting them dry out between soaking that it would rid them of anything dish detergenty. Boar hair absorbs whatever you put them in unlike badger hair.

Best of luck !!! And I think they will be fine even if you just use them Smile

6 1,224
 08-09-2013, 11:36 AM
User Info
Thanks so much.

0 156
 08-09-2013, 12:00 PM
User Info
(08-09-2013, 11:21 AM)Nickadermis Wrote: Best of luck !!! And I think they will be fine even if you just use them Smile

+1 Just do a few palm-lathers with your regular soap/cream, let it thoroughly dry out and it should be back to normal. Good luck. Biggrin

75 20,883
 08-09-2013, 12:10 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Soak in warm, not hot water for about 20 minutes. Build a nice lather in your palm and rinse. Let dry overnight and repeat these steps again. Do this routine for three days in a row then let the brush dry out for about 3-days.

My recommendation, do not use the vinegar/water solution on boar. As stated above, whatever you put the boar in, it will soak it up inside the hair, which badger will not do.

This is one of the reasons that I let my boars soak for between 10-20 minutes before using. It lets the inside of the boar to fill with water, not anything else.

173 23,484
 08-09-2013, 12:17 PM
User Info
Thanks so much Johnny. It seems I learn by my mistakes more often than not.

(08-09-2013, 12:00 PM)celestino Wrote:
(08-09-2013, 11:21 AM)Nickadermis Wrote: Best of luck !!! And I think they will be fine even if you just use them Smile

+1 Just do a few palm-lathers with your regular soap/cream, let it thoroughly dry out and it should be back to normal. Good luck. Biggrin

Thank you very much. I really like my boar brushes. I need to treat them better Wink

0 156