08-11-2013, 07:32 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I searched, and searched... but couldn't find a topic here relating to whisky, one of my biggest passions, along with the more recent wetshaving. Blush

One of my absolute favorites is the Lagavulin 16 YO:

[Image: Lagavulin.jpg]

This is one of the classic whiskies of the island of Islay in Scotland, famous for their very particular peaty flavours.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who loves whisky, so please feel free to share your favorites. Smile

25 4,642
 08-11-2013, 07:37 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I am not sure if there is a whiskey thread but there is a thread on bourbon.

Edit: I stand corrected, there are actually two whiskey threads. Here is one.

45 16,353
 08-11-2013, 07:50 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(08-11-2013, 07:37 AM)bullgoose Wrote: I am not sure if there is a whiskey thread but there is a thread on bourbon.

Edit: I stand corrected, there are actually two whiskey threads. Here is one.

Ups sorry, I only searched for topics with the word "whisky", not "whiskey" Undecided ... which actually represent different things, and I usually prefer whisky (mostly scottish and japanese) to whiskey (american and irish). Eitherway, if the Mods feel it's not necessary to have another topic related to the subject, please feel free to close it. Smile

25 4,642
 08-11-2013, 08:43 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Ah...I see the distinction. I have always referred to Scottish Whiskey as Scotch. I do not know anything about Japanese Whisky or Whiskey though.

I look forward to learning more. Biggrin

45 16,353
 08-11-2013, 09:56 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I'm like you Phil, I always referred to it as Scotch. Maybe we will learn something here.

My liquor knowledge has always referred to these as;

Scottish Whiskey as Scotch
Whiskey as Rye
Bourbon as bourbon

173 23,548
 08-11-2013, 10:56 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(08-11-2013, 09:56 AM)Johnny Wrote: I'm like you Phil, I always referred to it as Scotch. Maybe we will learn something here.

My liquor knowledge has always referred to these as;

Scottish Whiskey as Scotch
Whiskey as Rye
Bourbon as bourbon

There are quite a few differences, some regarding the nomenclature and others regarding the ingredients.

Regarding the name vs. country of origin:
- Whisky: Made in Scotland, Japan (very good stuff), Canada, France, Holland, India, Australia, New Zeland, South Africa, Wales, England, Sweden and, more recently, Taiwan.
- Whiskey: Ireland and USA.

Putting it very simply, scotch whisky is whisky made in Scotland, while bourbon is simply whiskey made in the USA. All bourbons are whiskey, but not all whiskeys are bourbon (remember Ireland).

Regarding the ingredients, there are two main types of whisky:
- Malt whisky: made essentialy from malted barley.
- Grain whisky: made essentialy from other grains (corn, rye and wheat).

Depending on which ingredient it's made of, as well as its origin, the most common whisky "types" are:
- Scotch: Made in Scotland, exclusively from malted barley and to which only whole grains of other cereals may be added. Single malt scotch whisky (my favorite kind) is one of the sub categories within scotch whisky, but there are 4 others.
- Bourbon: Made in the USA, from no less than 51% of corn (by law, I believe).
- Rye: Made (almost always) in the USA, from no less than 51% of rye (also by law, I believe). It's common for Rye whisky to have corn, and Bourbon to have rye.

Also, people usually refer to canadian whisky as Rye, but nowadays canadian whisky usually contains little if any rye.

I think I didn't get anything wrong, and I hope this helped a bit, gents! Feel free to ask any questions. Wink

25 4,642
 08-11-2013, 11:52 AM
User Info
A Portuguese talking about Whisky/Whiskey! Never thought i would see that! Biggrin
Thanks for all the information!

75 20,883
 08-11-2013, 12:53 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Very interesting. Thank you for a very informative post. What are some good Japanese whisky brands?

45 16,353
 08-11-2013, 04:15 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
I just can't get thru the "peaty" flavor of the scotch whiskies. It is an acquired taste I am told.

2 334
 08-11-2013, 04:40 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(08-11-2013, 04:15 PM)Blue line Wrote: I just can't get thru the "peaty" flavor of the scotch whiskies. It is an acquired taste I am told.

I am with you...I have bad associations with the "peaty" flavor of some scotch.

45 16,353
 08-11-2013, 04:55 PM
User Info
I have some pinch and bulleit right now. However, I'm drinking jaegermeister tonight. Biggrin

1 77
 08-11-2013, 05:44 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(08-11-2013, 11:52 AM)celestino Wrote: A Portuguese talking about Whisky/Whiskey! Never thought i would see that! Biggrin
Thanks for all the information!

(08-11-2013, 12:53 PM)bullgoose Wrote: Very interesting. Thank you for a very informative post. What are some good Japanese whisky brands?

You are most welcome, gentlemen. Smile

Regarding Japanese whisky, the better known distilleries are Nikka and Suntory.

As a starting point, and without spending too much money, I'd unquestionably recommend the Nikka From the Barrel:

[Image: japan_nik10.jpg]

If you do try it, drink it straight first but then add a few drops of mineral water, and you'll notice a big difference both in the aroma as well as the flavour... Like a lot of things from Japan, it's remarkably subtle and unquestionably delicate. Smile

25 4,642
 08-11-2013, 07:19 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(08-11-2013, 05:44 PM)TheMonk Wrote: Regarding Japanese whisky, the better known distilleries are Nikka and Suntory.

As a starting point, and without spending too much money, I'd unquestionably recommend the Nikka From the Barrel:

[Image: japan_nik10.jpg]

If you do try it, drink it straight first but then add a few drops of mineral water, and you'll notice a big difference both in the aroma as well as the flavour... Like a lot of things from Japan, it's remarkably subtle and unquestionably delicate. Smile

I will keep by eye out for Nikka. Thank you for the recommendation.

45 16,353
 08-12-2013, 12:24 AM
User Info
I'm having Jameson's 12YO at the moment

0 21
 08-12-2013, 01:17 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(08-11-2013, 04:40 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(08-11-2013, 04:15 PM)Blue line Wrote: I just can't get thru the "peaty" flavor of the scotch whiskies. It is an acquired taste I am told.

I am with you...I have bad associations with the "peaty" flavor of some scotch.

Those peaty whiskies... Are generally my favorite. Biggrin

To me it wasn't an acquired taste, but I do realize that for most people it is... and I have to tell you, once they start enjoying it, quite a few of the "regular" whiskies become a little unappealing...

25 4,642
 08-12-2013, 11:20 AM
User Info
TM, thanks for sharing. I'll have to keep an eye out for the Nikka as well. You learn something every day.

Like a nice draft beer. Dewars (I should add, White Label) is one that I'm very seldom without. Fairly inexpensive and readily available.

From the www:

"NOSE: A perfectly balanced blend of Scottish heather and honey with delicate notes of unripened pear and a hint of oak

PALATE: A delightful blend of soft vanilla with honey and blooming heather; well rounded with a slight smoky sensation emerging

BODY: Medium and smooth

FINISH: Medium finish, slightly dry with lingering heather/honey overtones, and the faintest touch of smoke"

2 546
 08-12-2013, 11:43 AM
User Info
Is there a pronunciation difference as well?

Always just called whisky Scotch and Irish whiskey, Irish whiskey. American whiskey being bourbon. Unsure about Rye whiskey since some blends cannot meet the bourbon requirement. I think I'd still call it bourbon because it's a quintessential American name.

Back to favorite scotches though....

Highland Park
Lagavulin
Talisker

Top three currently on my shelf. I'm trying to get rid of a few bottles to "justify" purchasing some new ones. I'm going to get a couple bottles of the Japanese stuff next. Then I'll be done until I drink another bottle.

Currently working on: Dalwhinnie 12yr. It's almost done. I think the next one is going to be a 10 yr. Possibly the Lagavulin 10. Maybe I might finish off the Ardbeg.

Peat is definitely an acquired taste. I like it now.

9 2,988
 08-12-2013, 04:49 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(08-12-2013, 11:20 AM)PanchoVilla Wrote: TM, thanks for sharing. I'll have to keep an eye out for the Nikka as well. You learn something every day.

Like a nice draft beer. Dewars (I should add, White Label) is one that I'm very seldom without. Fairly inexpensive and readily available.

From the www:

"NOSE: A perfectly balanced blend of Scottish heather and honey with delicate notes of unripened pear and a hint of oak

PALATE: A delightful blend of soft vanilla with honey and blooming heather; well rounded with a slight smoky sensation emerging

FINISH: Medium finish, slightly dry with lingering heather/honey overtones, and the faintest touch of smoke"

As far as young (less than 12 YO) Blended Scotch goes, Dewar's White Label is my absolute favorite, and by a long mile! It's just a shame that here in Portugal it costs pretty much the same as the 12 YO blends... Undecided
If you have the chance, do try their 12 YO, it's a very overlooked blend, but to me is at the same level as the JW Black Label.

25 4,642
 08-12-2013, 05:56 PM
User Info
Oh, I have, TM. Scotch is my beverage of choice. You are absolutely right. I'm just not a connoisseur. But for my cigars...Angel

(08-12-2013, 04:49 PM)TheMonk Wrote:
(08-12-2013, 11:20 AM)PanchoVilla Wrote: TM, thanks for sharing. I'll have to keep an eye out for the Nikka as well. You learn something every day.

From the www:

As far as young (less than 12 YO) Blended Scotch goes, Dewar's White Label is my absolute favorite, and by a long mile! It's just a shame that here in Portugal it costs pretty much the same as the 12 YO blends... Undecided
If you have the chance, do try their 12 YO, it's a very overlooked blend, but to me is at the same level as the JW Black Label.

2 546
 08-13-2013, 06:33 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(08-12-2013, 11:43 AM)asharperrazor Wrote: Is there a pronunciation difference as well?

I don't believe so, no... at least no more than the usual differences in pronunciation between a scottish and an irish, or an american.

(08-12-2013, 11:43 AM)asharperrazor Wrote: Back to favorite scotches though....

Highland Park
Lagavulin
Talisker

Top three currently on my shelf. I'm trying to get rid of a few bottles to "justify" purchasing some new ones. I'm going to get a couple bottles of the Japanese stuff next. Then I'll be done until I drink another bottle.

Currently working on: Dalwhinnie 12yr. It's almost done. I think the next one is going to be a 10 yr. Possibly the Lagavulin 10. Maybe I might finish off the Ardbeg.

Peat is definitely an acquired taste. I like it now.

You're 3 favorites are among my favorites... I'd probably add Ardbeg and Laphroaig, and maybe Bowmore! Biggrin

How is the the Dalwhinnie 12 YO? I don't know that release, only had the 15 YO and it was pretty good, although not surprisingly so.

25 4,642