04-17-2012, 09:01 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I recently traded for a nearly new bowl/puck of DRH Almond and based on a few test lathers, am excited about its lather after never getting excited about other DRH product for many years. What surprised me though was an utter lack of scent!

Now this is not necessarily a bad thing since I've never been a fan of strong almond scents. However, a hint of almond would be welcome.

Anybody else?

35 2,703
 04-17-2012, 09:04 AM
User Info
I have the Almond stick and will be getting a puck to complete my DRH puck lineup. People with a better sense of smell tell me that it's supposed to be subtle Eau de Quinine scent, not a sweet almond or a nutty almond. There is a hint of sweet almond oil in the ingredients.

To me,it's just a "nice" soapy scent. Sometimes I don't want a strong scent and the lather it provides is absolutely top notch.

0 189
 04-17-2012, 09:09 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
If I sniff hard, I get a faint soapy scent, much like some unscented soaps. If they were shooting for a non-almond scent, they succeeded!

35 2,703
 04-17-2012, 09:11 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I myself I got tired of the bitter/sweet Italian almond scents,so this soap provides a good alternative to the traditional almond scents.
I like it : its actually my fav D.R. Harris soap,its scent reminds me of wet soil after a storm,and Im sad that the cream has the same scent than most Italian almond scented creams/soaps.

86 7,123
 04-17-2012, 09:14 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Thanks, Teiste - that seems consistent with my puck. Surprising that the cream and soap scents differ so much so I'll pass on the cream!

35 2,703
 04-17-2012, 09:23 AM
User Info
I have a puck of DRH Almond. I also don't get anything but nice fresh soapy scent from it. It's refreshing to me as is. I like all three DRH soap versions.

2 180
 04-17-2012, 09:48 AM
User Info
Not sure what is wrong with my nose, but I get the same scent from the almond, Marlborough and Arlington soaps.

9 333
 04-17-2012, 10:26 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(04-17-2012, 09:48 AM)Chicagotrim Wrote: Not sure what is wrong with my nose, but I get the same scent from the almond, Marlborough and Arlington soaps.

I haven't smelled any DRH except Arlington, but there's nothing in my puck that would make me think Almond at all.

10 1,858
 04-17-2012, 11:15 AM
User Info
I have the Arlington, Lavender, and Marlborough pucks...those definitely have a distinct scent and none of them smell the same. The Arlington is quite strong, btw. All these were purchased recently and they didn't all come from the same vendor either.

Chicago, if you can't smell anything with the Arlington and Marlborough, there is one of these 3 things happening:

1) something wrong with your sense of smell
2) you got an old batch with scent that dissipated over time while it was on the vendor's shelf
3) you got a batch where they forgot to add scent during the soapmaking process

0 189
 04-17-2012, 11:34 AM
User Info
(04-17-2012, 11:15 AM)cvac Wrote: I have the Arlington, Lavender, and Marlborough pucks...those definitely have a distinct scent and none of them smell the same. The Arlington is quite strong, btw. All these were purchased recently and they didn't all come from the same vendor either.

Chicago, if you can't smell anything with the Arlington and Marlborough, there is one of these 3 things happening:

1) something wrong with your sense of smell
2) you got an old batch with scent that dissipated over time while it was on the vendor's shelf
3) you got a batch where they forgot to add scent during the soapmaking process

I didnt say I couldnt smell them. I just said they all the smell the same to me...I also mentioned that something could be wrong with my smeller...Shy

Also, I currently only own the Marlborough which is in the same wooden bowl the other two were in which of course could have a lot to do with it.

9 333
 04-17-2012, 12:17 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Since some of you mentioned, I also have Marlborough and it certainly has a smoky/tobacco scent and it's quite mild - just not as mild as Almond.

35 2,703
 04-17-2012, 02:27 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
I think my Harris Almond soap picked up scent since I received it. Seriously, when I first got it, I thought it was close to scentless. It's an excellent soap but on the mild scented side.

12 743
 04-17-2012, 03:24 PM
User Info
My Marlborough reminds me a mild, sweet cedar/tobacco scent. It's a lot lighter, and brighter than what I expected. Might even be suitable for warm weather.

0 189
 04-17-2012, 08:45 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I have had all four DR Harris soaps but recently traded the Almond and Lavender. My bowl of Almond was a little older, as a sticker on the lid advertised their other soap scents, namely "Arlington, Lavender, and Cologne." Although this was an older puck, it still had a nice, easily detectable aroma. It did not smell almond to my nose at all. Instead, it was a clean fragrance that reminds me a little of Arlington minus the citrus.

Bill, perhaps your Almond lost its scent? Charles Roberts had a few pucks left on his shelf last time I was at Enchanté. You could stop by and have a whiff to see how yours compares.

43 1,690
 05-09-2012, 02:46 PM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
Just got a stick of DRH Almond today and I can't detect a scent either. And I thought the scent of my Arlington puck was too light. I'll see tomorrow if the 1st shave with Almond brings any out. So far my puck of Lavender has the strongest scent and that one isn't near as strong as some other lavenders I've had. It's a good thing I've gotten away from strong scents and now more concerned with performance. The performance of Harris soaps seem to be consistent even if the scents aren't.

0 204
 05-09-2012, 03:23 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
There is a very distinct difference in the Italian almonds from the DRH Almond. The Italian varieties are very much "in your face."

The DRH, much more subdued. The Almond bowl that Bill has very much reflects this style difference. IMHO, the DRH lather is superior to the Italian soft soaps.

47 1,375
 05-10-2012, 03:45 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
I noticed also that the almond scent of DR Harris is very subdued.

3 2,561
 06-11-2013, 05:38 PM
User Info
My puck of almond has just a hint of scent.

15 762
 06-11-2013, 06:33 PM
User Info
I had the chance to test lather a buddies puck recently, and the soap is very different from any other almond product or even the Almond tube I have from Harris

8 2,718
 06-11-2013, 06:48 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
I thought I remember reading somewhere that the Harris Almond scent isn't supposed to smell like Almonds, but instead the Almond Flower.

13 599