08-12-2013, 10:15 AM
User Info
Some of these tips run counter to the max-prep, shower before shave, many pass gradual beard reduction approach I started with. What worked for me is the opposite of how I started. It is what it is. So here goes.

1. Red spots or rashes? Solution: Switch for 3-5 days to KMF Key Lime pump cream and use it brushless to rule out a septic brush or soap.

2. Weepers? Solution: Always lather on wet skin. Rub first lather ATG and re-lather before first pass with razor. Know the shave count limits of each kind of blade you use.

3. Alum or Aftershave splash stings? Solution: Try cold or at most lukewarm water shave, no prep except for great lather on wet skin. (see #2)

4. Elusive BBS? Solution: Try an R41 2011/Dorco ST-300 combo with a steep angle, two passes maximum at first. One pass would be even better to ease the start... touch up with a DE89L if you feel you must. (After you stop laughing... go try it.)

5. Face Fatigue? Solution: Less is more. No scalding water. Use cold or lukewarm instead. Minimal prep. Shower after shave. Reduce the products put on your face to the bare minimum. Use the soap or creams that are the very best fit for you. Shave with the softest water you can. (install a softener if you can).

3 285
 08-12-2013, 10:23 AM
User Info
1. Go slowly, be patient and use very light pressure.

2. Use a good razor, soap and brush.

3. Always face-lather!

4. Unrefined Shea Butter for post-shave.

5. Buy more of everything you have. You never know when things may run out!Biggrin

75 20,883
 08-12-2013, 05:29 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
1. Prep, prep, prep. Hydrate your beard very well.
2. Face lather (Ultra Lather method).
3. Single Edge razor with a keen blade.
4. NO pressure/correct angle/gradual beard reduction.
5. Cold rinse followed by witch hazel.

5 1,151
 08-12-2013, 05:37 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
1. Don't use ANY pressure.

2. Don't use ANY pressure.

3. Don't use ANY pressure.

4. Don't use ANY pressure.

5. Don't use ANY pressure.

Wink

16 545
 08-12-2013, 05:53 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
1. Proper setup - a great shave involves the concerted effort of all items. For example, a great razor won't perform at its best without proper lather created by a nice brush/soap combination. The best lather in the world is useless in the presence of a bad blade/razor.
2. Preparation/Planning - set the stage beforehand, giving ample time to soak brush for example, prepare the face, or change blade in razor.
3. Patience - a great shave is never a rushed or hurried one. An easy way to nicks/cuts/weepers is to think one can have a quick and nice shave!
4. no Pressure - regardless of razor type, this is a universally accepted thing with wet shaving, unless one is yearning for razor burn.
5. Persistence - don't give up on a product after only one or two tries ... sometimes taking a break and revisiting an initially disliked item can yield surprisingly favorable results.

When these are all observed ... Pleasure ... a great shave should be a relaxing experience that enhances enjoyment of the day!

102 17,668
 08-12-2013, 06:46 PM
User Info
1. SE blade stiffness > DE blade flexibility.

2. Cold Water Shaves.

3. Face lather & let the lather marinate. Take your time.

4. Slack skin approach to lower neck.

5. Krampert's Finest to finish every shave.

31 7,914
 08-12-2013, 08:20 PM
User Info
1. A brush and proper cream/soap is more important than a DE razor for a new wetshaver.

2. For bony chins and jaws: stretch the skin gently, fill in your cheek with your tongue, open your mouth wide, pull your head back to "roll" the skin under your jaw -- whatever you have to do to get a nice flat plane to shave.

3. Establish your go-to gear of one type for trying new gear of another type. For example, I use Dr. Selby 3x and a Weber when trying a new blade, or a 7 O'Clock yellow-pack when trying a new razor, etc.

4. Tell a stranger about wetshaving.

5. An enjoyable shave is not necessarily the smoothest shave. Enjoyment first, BBS second.

9 166
 08-12-2013, 08:37 PM
User Info
Cold water and a good post shave routine. Even a sub-par shave can be turned around with a skin conditioning splash and a good balm.

63 2,128
 08-12-2013, 10:12 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(08-12-2013, 05:29 PM)savagejoerude Wrote: 1. Prep, prep, prep. Hydrate your beard very well.
2. Face lather (Ultra Lather method).
3. Single Edge razor with a keen blade.
4. NO pressure/correct angle/gradual beard reduction.
5. Cold rinse followed by witch hazel.

1. 100% agree.
2. Lather the way it works best for you.
3. The razor of your choice with the blade of your choice.
4. 100% agree.
5. Cold rinse followed by the after shave or balm of your choice.

173 23,538
 08-14-2013, 07:22 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
For the less experienced like myself, this has been a very useful topic, with very concise but precious information.

Thank you! Smile

25 4,640
 08-14-2013, 08:29 AM
User Info
Everybody has their own best wet shaving tips....... Mine would be:

1) Good Preparation: Hot towel / Pre-Shave balm.
2) Select your tools: Razor, Brush,Blade. Cream/Soap.
3) No Pressure / Correct angle.
4) Alum Block if needed /Post Shave Balm
5) Relax & Enjoy, a bit of me time.......

Charles U.K

0 2,339
 08-18-2013, 01:16 AM
User Info
Prep

Hydrate skin

Short easy strokes

No pressure

2 passes only

0 606
 08-18-2013, 05:27 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
1. Load your brush longer than you think you need. I have yet to have a sub par shave because I had to much lather.

2. Try cool or cold water shaves.

3. Try an SE. My shaves went from great to fantastic with a GEM. Than I tried a Cobra and they got even better.

4. I do minimal prep. I found that doing a lot beard prep really irritated my face.

5. Map your beard. Figuring out the direction of my beard growth really allowed me to get BBS shaves without a lot of irritation.

7 1,018
 08-18-2013, 09:02 AM
User Info
(08-18-2013, 05:27 AM)Sully Wrote: 1. Load your brush longer than you think you need. I have yet to have a sub par shave because I had to much lather.

This is a great tip, especially for someone just starting out with wet shaving!

15 222
 08-18-2013, 12:36 PM
User Info
I'll go with:

1) Good quality soap; or cream if you prefer
2) Sharp blade; change before you need to
3) Good prep; especially with a thick beard
4) "Cool" water.
5) Alum, just personal pref.

2 546
 08-18-2013, 01:28 PM
User Info
1. Use More Product (this could be all 5 tips)
2. Don't try for a BBS, it will come to you.
3. Leave some soap/cream on face AFTER last pass.
4. Cold Rinse after step 3.
5. Don't try to extend your blade.

8 2,718
 08-18-2013, 01:43 PM
User Info
(08-18-2013, 01:28 PM)Bruce Wrote: 1. Use More Product (this could be all 5 tips)
2. Don't try for a BBS, it will come to you.
3. Leave some soap/cream on face AFTER last pass.
4. Cold Rinse after step 3.
5. Don't try to extend your blade.

THIS, is so true. Many try to cut it close. Why?

2 546
 08-18-2013, 01:55 PM
User Info
(08-18-2013, 01:43 PM)PanchoVilla Wrote: THIS, is so true. Many try to cut it close. Why?

not sure. Wet Shaving is a hobby and necessity, so it's not like collecting records or whatever hobby you are into. We shave because we have to and wet shaving makes it enjoyable.

We are all on this forum to enjoy and spend money and the finer things in life. Why people try to make a $10 soap last a year, when they have a drawer or boxes of product waiting to be used is beyond me.

8 2,718
 08-18-2013, 05:31 PM
User Info
1. Use more product and more water to compensate.

2. Avoid going ATG until your technique is spot on.

3. No pressure. Let the blade do the work.

4. Let the BBS come to you.

5. Don't be scared of alcohol based aftershaves.

2 396
 08-22-2013, 03:09 AM
User Info
1. Don't skimp on your soap and brush. You get what you pay for.

2. Measure blade angle before you start your shave. Hesitating (especially with straights) once the blade is on your skin is a recipe for disaster.

3. Enjoy the process. Soak it all in and treat yourself.

4. Blade buff for those trouble areas with no pressure to get a DFS or BBS.

5. If you'vereduced and blade buffed, but the area still isn't BBS, don't push it. Your skin will go on strike.

1. Don't skimp on your soap and brush. You get what you pay for.

2. Measure blade angle before you start your shave. Hesitating (especially with straights) once the blade is on your skin is a recipe for disaster.

3. Enjoy the process. Soak it all in and treat yourself.

4. Blade buff for those trouble areas with no pressure to get a DFS or BBS.

5. If you'vereduced and blade buffed, but the area still isn't BBS, don't push it. Your skin will go on strike.

0 16