08-12-2013, 06:02 PM
User Info
Is it simply a YMMV situation, or are there objective, consistent differences between the two? Im looking for a finest badger with medium backbone(for both face and bowl lathering) and decent flow through( no lather hogs). Thanks for your input.

0 26
 08-12-2013, 06:15 PM
User Info
(08-12-2013, 06:02 PM)Ramsay Wrote: Is it simply a YMMV situation, or are there objective, consistent differences between the two? I'm looking for a finest badger with medium backbone(for both face and bowl lathering) and decent flow through( no lather hogs). Thanks for your input.

I think the real difference is not between these two manufacturers, but in how they set their standard loft.

I have had brushes from both companies and they tend to set their lofts around 56 - 59 mm for most (not all) cases. With this in mind these brushes tend to work better as bowl lathers than face lathers.

You would really need a General setting brush. Medium lofted around 50 - 52 mm would better suit your needs. Both companies have good 2 band knots at their disposal.

Don't forget to look at companies such as Vintage Blades.

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xc...hp?cat=240

Their finest are set lower (50 mm) and the prices are reasonable.

Good fortune in your search and selection.

1 2,827
 08-13-2013, 08:43 AM
User Info
(08-12-2013, 06:15 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: I think the real difference is not between these two manufacturers, but in how they set their standard loft.

I have had brushes from both companies and they tend to set their lofts around 56 - 59 mm for most (not all) cases. With this in mind these brushes tend to work better as bowl lathers than face lathers.

In an email one seller told me that they do that in purpose
Their target in mainly the US market and the Americans prefer such dimensions,some times ever shorter
I can say that is main rule but you can say has a basis.

0 353
 08-13-2013, 10:31 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
It is hard to judge a brand when the product changes so frequently. I have had a few different Frank's finest brushes and they ranged from gel-like soft tips that hooked to a stiffer almost prickly sensation. The Lijun brush that I had was more towards the softer end of the range but was much less dense and I'm not sure how consistent that brand is either.

For those looking at Frank's brushes I would recommend requesting a knot with the brownish hued tips as those seem to be softer on the face versus the white tipped versions.

127 2,377
 08-13-2013, 10:26 PM
User Info
I'll agree with GD Carrington. The Vintage Blades brush is one of my favorite brushes.

2 805