04-17-2012, 02:40 PM
User Info
Well, at best I was only 50% successful on a project I've been working on. I'm hoping to get my son involved in wet shaving. He's been overseas for a while and will be home next month. I've been working on putting a nice wet shaving "kit" so to speak together for him. It includes a couple of pretty nice razors (Muhle & Merkur), a half dozen different soaps, a half dozen different packages of blades, an apothecary style mug, a couple of decent brushes, a razor/brush stand, styptic pencil and alum block, pre-shave oil, Clubman after shave and some Nivea balm. All in all it's fairly complete and given the expense, I'm hoping he'll get into this.

I mentioned that I picked up a couple of respectable brushes. One was an OTC Vulfix SuperBadger. The other was a brush that I wanted to personally make him. I picked up a 24mm Super SilverTip TGN knot and one of their 24mm black faux horn handles. I took the handle to a local trophy shop and had it laser etched on the bottom to say, Custom Made By Dad with his initials, RRH in the center of the circle of text. I then painted the lettering in gold paint. It looked very nice, rivaling most commercial products in appearance.

Here's where it took a turn for the worse. I was boring the knot hole a bit deeper than they come from TGN so as to set the knot to a near 2:1 ratio, with a 48mm loft. I was pretty much finished and just doing a final measurement. I dropped the handle and it hit on the tile floor squarely on the edge of the knot hole. It broke several good chunks off of the handle. It isn't salvageable and certainly knot the heirloom quality brush I had hoped to present him.

Well I of course purchased two of each of the knots and the handles. I wanted one for myself as well. I had already finished gluing my knot in as I didn't need any engraving on my brush. I thought about it and could have easily given him this non-engraved clone but it wasn't what I had in mind. I sat down and promptly placed an order for another handle. It will be here in a couple of days.

I can't tell you how disappointed I was in myself. I'm good with my hands. I turned wrenches for years. I do some gun smithing as a side hobby. I build golf clubs. I'm the kind of person that measures 3 times and cuts once, I just don't make silly mistakes like this. In the end, I chalked it up to the fact that I'm getting old, and arthritis isn't my friend. It's really no big deal but it's one of those things where you ask yourself why couldn't it have been the other brush? At least I've got a few weeks before he is home. I should have another one put together before he gets here.

Anyway... I thought some might get a chuckle out of my incompetence. Confused

0 145
 04-17-2012, 02:49 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
My friend, you are not alone. Engineer here who is anal to a fault at times. But when something goes wrong with one of my projects, it's usually due to a frustrating goof-up like you describe and not something miscalculated or under performed.

What's best about your story is the scentiment behind it. Let that get you back on track. Sounds like it already has...Cool

35 2,703
 04-17-2012, 02:50 PM
User Info
I certainly didn't chuckle at your incompetence (or butterfingers which is more likely the case), but I am impressed by how much "doing it right" means to you. You're a man on a mission for a very important son. I hope it all works out to your satisfaction before your son reaches home. I'm sure he'll treasure his brush for a lifetime.

P.S. Post pictures of the finished product next time if you'd care to. I'd like to see it.

0 221
 04-17-2012, 03:08 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
All is not lost, you still have time. We are all human and make mistakes. I can understand your disappointment considering who you are making it for, but hang in there.

I guess my next questions would be, can't the engraver do his job with the knot installed?

And like stated above, please share a picture with us when finished.

173 23,501
 04-17-2012, 04:31 PM
User Info
(04-17-2012, 03:08 PM)Johnny Wrote: I guess my next questions would be, can't the engraver do his job with the knot installed?

I'm sure they probably could though it would likely be easier to work with minus the knot. The reason I went this route initially was that I was waiting for the 24mm Forstner bit to show up before installing the knot. I just let the trophy shop play with it while my order was in the mail. Since I've already got another one set to arrive in the next few days, I'll just let them do it the same way again.

0 145
 04-17-2012, 05:12 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Thumbsup

Sounds like you have a great gift put together

Don't be hard too hard on yourself!

Here's to getting it done, and having time to spare!
Thumbup

9 1,684
 04-17-2012, 05:47 PM
User Info
We have all been there and we more than likely will be there again if we go on long enough. Good fortune on finishing the brush.

P.S. don't forget to get him to see Mantic59's and Geofatboy's videos.

1 2,827
 04-17-2012, 06:14 PM
User Info
Not laughing at all.

That's the pits. I bet you get it right the next time though!

32 6,309
 04-17-2012, 06:23 PM
User Info
(04-17-2012, 05:12 PM)gijames Wrote: Thumbsup

Sounds like you have a great gift put together

Don't be hard too hard on yourself!

Here's to getting it done, and having time to spare!
Thumbup

+1 Keep looking at the positive; you get another opportunity to perfect your skills!

75 20,883
 04-17-2012, 08:52 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Sounds like an awesome gift you have put together. Everyone drops a piece of work now and then. Incompetence? Nah, just the law of averages.

10 1,858
 04-17-2012, 09:28 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Next time would be better for sure.
Take pics and show it to us,please.

86 7,123
 04-17-2012, 09:39 PM
User Info
Imagine the laughs down the road when you two talk about the wonderful brush you made just for him. It's going to end better this way, promise.

2 805
 04-17-2012, 09:41 PM
User Info
As one who has been on the planet the Biblical allotted three score and ten years, I can relate to your frustration. My arthritic hands don't work as well as they used to.

Not too long ago when I was telling my physician what I used to do, and can no longer do, he said don't compare what used to be with what is. So I just need to be grateful I'm still on the green side of the grass.

Good luck with your project - I'm sure it will turn out just fine.

0 1,377
 04-18-2012, 02:49 AM
User Info
(04-17-2012, 09:41 PM)wknicholas Wrote: As one who has been on the planet the Biblical allotted three score and ten years, I can relate to your frustration. My arthritic hands don't work as well as they used to.

Not too long ago when I was telling my physician what I used to do, and can no longer do, he said don't compare what used to be with what is. So I just need to be grateful I'm still on the green side of the grass.

Good luck with your project - I'm sure it will turn out just fine.

That is wise counsel Nick. Wise indeed!

1 2,827
 04-18-2012, 06:47 AM
User Info
After the allotted three score and ten I'm playing on the house's money! Biggrin

0 1,377
 04-18-2012, 07:35 AM
User Info
Given the time you put into it and the experience you've gained I would say that the next build will be better than the first.

Don't beat yourself up over a accident, we've all had our share of moments.
Hope you plan on posting a photo for us when you're done. It sounds like a very nice brush.

9 451
 04-18-2012, 07:44 AM
User Info
I'll see what I can do on some pictures. The truth is I don't own a digital camera. I just bought my daughter a very nice one for Christmas and my wife and other 2 children all own one but not me. I used to really be into the 35mm scene but those days are gone. I'll see if Lyssa will take some pics for me.

0 145
 04-18-2012, 07:45 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(04-17-2012, 02:40 PM)GearHead_1 Wrote: Anyway... I thought some might get a chuckle out of my incompetence. Confused

Unfortunately those things happen (wish they didn't), go here and have a chuckle at my expense A6

What do they say, "Practice, makes perfect"... Wishing you 100% success the next time around. Good luck Thumbsup

23 1,872
 04-18-2012, 07:48 AM
User Info
(04-18-2012, 06:47 AM)wknicholas Wrote: After the allotted three score and ten I'm playing on the house's money! Biggrin

Now that's just funny.
I think I'll count my age in scores, as it makes me feel--well, sound--much younger. I'm still a baby closing in at two score. LOL

(04-18-2012, 07:44 AM)GearHead_1 Wrote: I'll see what I can do on some pictures. The truth is I don't own a digital camera. I just bought my daughter a very nice one for Christmas and my wife and other 2 children all own one but not me. I used to really be into the 35mm scene but those days are gone. I'll see if Lyssa will take some pics for me.

I hate what happened to photography. I loved working with slide film and b&w. I still have my outdated technology in a box in the closet. I sold my dark-room equipment years ago, that was a great hobby.

9 451
 04-18-2012, 08:01 AM
User Info
(04-18-2012, 07:48 AM)Johnny9 Wrote: I hate what happened to photography. I loved working with slide film and b&w. I still have my outdated technology in a box in the closet.

My two old 35's are in the exact same place. A couple of years ago I did have a guy that wanted to buy my old Canon but I couldn't let it go. Especially at today's pricing. I'm a realist and know they're not worth anything but it would have been like letting a good friend go for pennies. It's in a bag, so it's gathering no dust.

0 145