04-17-2012, 03:22 PM
User Info
doesnt a sound unless touching the whiskers..but even then no sound..kinda like a cross between a Japanese Kamisori edge and a Slant 37c..but this blade im sure weights about 8 ounces alone!..0 irritation this time..as you see in the 3rd right pic..thats how it sits in its original scales..took me an hour to reset the bevel and shave with it..usual time for my other hollow ground razors as well..if you have an opportunity to try one of these ever and it doesnt "break" your bank..GO for it!

Attached Files Image(s)

0 31
 04-17-2012, 04:56 PM
User Info
(04-17-2012, 03:22 PM)smalltank Wrote: doesnt a sound unless touching the whiskers..but even then no sound..kinda like a cross between a Japanese Kamisori edge and a Slant 37c..but this blade im sure weights about 8 ounces alone!..0 irritation this time..as you see in the 3rd right pic..thats how it sits in its original scales..took me an hour to reset the bevel and shave with it..usual time for my other hollow ground razors as well..if you have an opportunity to try one of these ever and it doesnt "break" your bank..GO for it!

Based on your description, I am getting the idea that with a wedge, the weight causes the whiskers to come off with less effort.

That's a great feeling to get a great shave from a razor you honed yourself, especially when it took a lot of effort on your part to make it just right.

0 282
 04-17-2012, 05:36 PM
User Info
(04-17-2012, 04:56 PM)CaliforniaCajun Wrote: Based on your description, I am getting the idea that with a wedge, the weight causes the whiskers to come off with less effort.

That's a great feeling to get a great shave from a razor you honed yourself, especially when it took a lot of effort on your part to make it just right.

Given equally sharp edges, the weight of a wedge blade will allow the blade to cut more easily through a thick growth than a lighter grind would. However, the weight of a wedge will also cover up a non-optimally honed edge.

I've had several full wedges (including a Greaves), and I find them to be nice blades, but I do prefer small full-hollows. The smaller hollow-ground blades take really nice edges and are more maneuverable, making it easier to use 'no pressure' strokes (that I've found to be essential to a great shave, in my own case). I use the wedges when I want to use an older razor (they're generally older blades).

The great thing about vintage blades is the sheer variety of grinds, sizes and styles that you can get. Everyone can find something that matches his or her preferences.

Nice blade there, smalltank!

37 1,731
 04-17-2012, 06:07 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Nice blade smalltank! In my rather brief straights history, I enjoyed my W&B meat cleaver wedge the most. Enjoy!

35 2,703
 04-17-2012, 06:27 PM
User Info
Very nice blade.

75 20,883
 04-18-2012, 03:19 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(04-17-2012, 04:56 PM)CaliforniaCajun Wrote: Based on your description, I am getting the idea that with a wedge, the weight causes the whiskers to come off with less effort.

Kind of.

The wedge is heavier and has more heft to it. With that additional "kinetic", the glide is smoother, it almost glides by itself.

4 313
 04-18-2012, 06:29 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Very nice sir. I wish I could still use a straight razor. I enjoyed them for many years.

173 23,553
 04-18-2012, 08:02 AM
User Info
Just finished restoring a Joseph Rogers wedge, but like all these so called wedges when you actually hone them they are not really a true wedge, but fairly close, personally, i'm no fan of the wedge give me a full hollow ground any day of the week, just love to hear that pinging sound when you offer up a single strand of hair once you've stropped her, that's something you wont hear from the heavy lump of steel you get in a wedge. When i hear the ping that's my razor starting sing.

Jamie

5 1,810