04-17-2012, 03:39 PM
User Info

1) Here is the top label

Ingredients: *Potassium palmitate, potassium stearate, sodium palmitate*, sodium stearate, aqua, potassium cocoabutterate, sodium cocoabutterate, potassium shea butterate, sodium shea butterate, potassium cocoate, sodium cocoate, veg. glycerine, potassium castorate, sodium castorate, stearic acid, kaolin, sodium lactate, sorbitol. Essential oil of Santalum album. *Organic and sustainably grown in Columbia.

2) Ingredients...similar to her soft soap but a little different.

3) Top puck

4) See how thick the puck is? This is 145g worth of soap.

5) Puck is too big for my little travel tin, so I'm going to cut it up.

6) Big chunk in travel tin. Since the soap is like a firm cheese, I can easily mash the pieces in. You can do this with hard milled pucks too, but you might need to wet the soap first.

7) Here is my loaded Semogue 2030B. Creamy lather.

8) Here is what the surface of the puck looks like after loading

9) Palm lather

10) Palm lather after 1 minute to check stability.

11) Here is the lather I squeezed out of my brush.

12) Here is the AS I would choose for this soap. It has a similar, Sandalwood EO based scent that's fairly subtle but a little stronger than this soap.

So, based on my test lather I am definitely looking to shaving with this. As you can see, the lather is nice and creamy, just like what you get with her soft soaps that come in the little 100g jars. This is not a true "hard" soap because it's not milled. As we know, it's not really practical for small soapers to make milled soap due to the very expensive equipment required. The soap is harder than a lot of Italian style soft soaps, but not as hard as something like Calani. Like I said, it reminds me of the consistency of a firm cheese. The scent is the real thing, but subtle. Definitely NOT mish-mash of Sandalwood and non-Sandalwood EOs you get with something like AOS Sandalwood soap.

0 189
 04-17-2012, 07:09 PM
User Info
Looks good.

2 805
 04-17-2012, 07:48 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Well done! [skips jotting down another soap on his list] Rolleyes

35 2,703
 04-17-2012, 08:12 PM
User Info
(04-17-2012, 03:39 PM)cvac Wrote: 1) Here is the top label

Ingredients: *Potassium palmitate, potassium stearate, sodium palmitate*, sodium stearate, aqua, potassium cocoabutterate, sodium cocoabutterate, potassium shea butterate, sodium shea butterate, potassium cocoate, sodium cocoate, veg. glycerine, potassium castorate, sodium castorate, stearic acid, kaolin, sodium lactate, sorbitol. Essential oil of Santalum album. *Organic and sustainably grown in Columbia.

2) Ingredients...similar to her soft soap but a little different.

3) Top puck

4) See how thick the puck is? This is 145g worth of soap.

5) Puck is too big for my little travel tin, so I'm going to cut it up.

6) Big chunk in travel tin. Since the soap is like a firm cheese, I can easily mash the pieces in. You can do this with hard milled pucks too, but you might need to wet the soap first.

7) Here is my loaded Semogue 2030B. Creamy lather.

8) Here is what the surface of the puck looks like after loading

9) Palm lather

10) Palm lather after 1 minute to check stability.

11) Here is the lather I squeezed out of my brush.

12) Here is the AS I would choose for this soap. It has a similar, Sandalwood EO based scent that's fairly subtle but a little stronger than this soap.

So, based on my test lather I am definitely looking to shaving with this. As you can see, the lather is nice and creamy, just like what you get with her soft soaps that come in the little 100g jars. This is not a true "hard" soap because it's not milled. As we know, it's not really practical for small soapers to make milled soap due to the very expensive equipment required. The soap is harder than a lot of Italian style soft soaps, but not as hard as something like Calani. Like I said, it reminds me of the consistency of a firm cheese. The scent is the real thing, but subtle. Definitely NOT mish-mash of Sandalwood and non-Sandalwood EOs you get with something like AOS Sandalwood soap.

Aftershave looks interesting. Got any more info on it?

5 413
 04-17-2012, 09:33 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thanks again for this info,my friend.
How would you compare it to the Calanis soaps?They both have similar ingredients so I bet they might perform the same.

86 7,123
 04-18-2012, 01:49 AM
User Info
Nanny's soaps are simply excellent, and very reasonably priced. I have two soft soaps from her (Yushu and "The Spicy One"), and the Lavender hard soap, and I simply love them - simply top performance.

Also Sharon is a lovely person to deal with. Smile

2 5,527
 04-18-2012, 07:03 AM
User Info
Kris,

You can get the HBG Sandalwood AS here:

http://www.vitacost.com/honeybee-gardens...sandalwood

I like it more than the much more expensive DRH Sandalwood AS btw.

0 189
 04-18-2012, 08:13 AM
User Info
Great stuff I have her French Lavender. Thanks for the review.

10 518
 04-18-2012, 09:44 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Defiantly will add this soap to my wish list.

Great review thanks for a sharing the pictures of the lather.

1 3,507
 04-18-2012, 09:45 AM
User Info
Thanks for the review. I am slowly drifting from creams to soaps and I ordered up the Sandalwood today.

6 230
 04-18-2012, 09:49 AM
User Info

1) Lather from today's shave with the soap after 1 facelathering. Brush is a Simpsons Tulip 3 Super 2-band.

The short version is that the soap provides an excellent shave that is in the top tier soaps available today.

(04-17-2012, 09:33 PM)Teiste Wrote: Thanks again for this info,my friend.
How would you compare it to the Calanis soaps?They both have similar ingredients so I bet they might perform the same.

It is pretty different from Calani in terms of the feel of the pucks and the consistency of the lather. I don't think the two soaps have much in common other than they are both top notch shaving soaps that give great shaves.

0 189
 04-18-2012, 10:34 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thanks my friend,another one to my list.

86 7,123
 04-18-2012, 05:40 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Thanks for the write up, I'm looking forward to post shave impressions. Does she have a web site?

7 1,018
 04-18-2012, 06:54 PM
User Info
(04-18-2012, 05:40 PM)Sully Wrote: Thanks for the write up, I'm looking forward to post shave impressions. Does she have a web site?

Yep, here:

http://www.nannyssillysoap.com/

The post-shave feel is excellent. I've been using her soft soaps for awhile and the main difference between those and this "hard" soap is the texture of the soap itself. This soap *might* make a slightly creamier lather than the soft soap simply because there is less water in the soap and it is more concentrated. Either way you can't go wrong.

If you've never heard of her it's probably because she's based in the UK and sells primarily to UK and European customers.

0 189
 04-19-2012, 12:36 PM
  • JaDo
  • Dallas, TX
User Info
I just ordered some of the soft soap (French Lavender and Sandalwood). Looking forward to it. There was one called "Forest of Norway" which is scented with cedarwood and pine. Almost got that one, too. But I think I'm going to try Mike's pine/cedarwood soap.

6 235