08-17-2013, 05:19 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
My father, when he was alive, was a collector, appraiser and dealer of just about anything with an edge.. I recall him coming home from an antique show or what-not, and spreading his score out for us to review. I always loved the razors far more than the knives, though at that time, I never knew I was destined to be knee deep in wet-shaving myself. He preferred the folding knives, NY manufacturer's specifically. My DE collection, though small, are mostly from what I convince him to give to me.. A few ABC kits, tons of News, travel kits, and other various OC's and a few Hoffritz slants. But I always loved the straights. I recall him having a few seven day sets, but at the time, I really didn't know their significance.

When Dad passed he left his collection to me. Geography prevented me from collecting all but a few until this month when I drove out to spend a week with my Mother and Brother and his family..

I now have his collection of folding knives.. over a dozen show cases of everything you can think of. Case, Boker, NY Knife Co and even a coveted Remington Bullet.

The straight collection is a little leaner.. about twenty knives in total, with about fifteen of them needing no more than a hone to go in service. And that's exactly what I am going to do. Most of them still have the hand-written inventory stickers Dad affixed... bonus.

From a desirability perspective the highlights are probable a Wade & Butcher that I am dating at the early 1800's, based on the shape and size of the tail:
[Image: p1772996821-4.jpg]

And a second Wade & Butcher, Celebrated, which sadly is a regrind, but still has a fantastic balance and plenty of blade though the etching on the show side is gone except for a few letters:
[Image: p1791376124-4.jpg]

There are six that are going right on the stones and into service.

A John Jay 'Velevet Shaver', in perfect condition, save for a little patina that I am leaving.
[Image: p1675504949-4.jpg]

Shrade Cut Co round tip with faux tortoise scales. The pivot needed to be tightened but that's as far as I will take the restore. I don't want to lose the gold wash:
[Image: p1872920767-4.jpg]

A NY Knife Co square point, in black horn. The tang polished up perfectly.
[Image: p1733382046-4.jpg]

Possibly my favororite, a Wilbert Cut Co square point with a MoP tang covering.. Just a sweet look and perfect balance.
[Image: p1746887080-4.jpg]

A WR Case and Sons, Bulls Eye in faux iveory (Dad love anything Case, Case XX, etc).
[Image: p1695429543-4.jpg]

A Butcher's Bros in ivory.
[Image: p1615162764-4.jpg]

Thomas Turner near wedge in black horn with some cool inlay work. Unfortunately the show side scale is split but stabilizing the split should be fairly simple.
[Image: p1677136877-4.jpg]

A Case Brothers Mustache Razor.. I actually have three such razors, all slightly different. They all are a slightly smaller blade. This is the best of the three..
[Image: p1729948186-4.jpg]

Another unique item as a crate full of NOS Everite Safety Straight Razors. It's along the lines of the Rolls Razor concept, though far less engineered and the blade can be mounted in both the safety razor and straight razor config. All are in original boxes, with instructions and all of them have hones and strops intact. I think there are about twenty of them.
[Image: p1653938260-5.jpg]

These are the highlights. More pics are here if anyone has interest. So, while this feeds my lust for straight razors and should keep me busy for a while, it's sad to think Dad was the last one to touch them. I hope he would be proud to know I am continuing the tradition.

If anyone has more info on the Everite razor, I would appreciate knowing what you have.

I have found precious little other than a few that sold on ebay.. One went for $200+.

I never had luck shaving with my Rolls, but that was before I was using a straight. I suppose I should hone at least one of these and give it a try..

33 914
 08-17-2013, 07:09 AM
User Info
Nice story Michael and a very nice collection, even though the second Wade & Butcher is a regrind I would love to restore and use that one, the first Wade & Butcher I think you are right on the money date wise, and like you I was a knife collector but I always found razors to be far more interesting.

5 1,805
 08-17-2013, 08:44 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Mike, don't be sad that the last person to touch these beauties was you Dad, be glad and proud he was.

I have two Schick Injectors locked up in the safe deposit box at the bank that belonged to my Dad. One was issued to him during WWII and the other one he bought new in 1946, the year I was born. Neither have ever been used and they will stay that way.

I know it sounds corny especially at 67, but when I use things that either belonged to my Father or Grandfather I find myself talking to them. Brings back a lot of love and great memories.

Cherish those gems.

173 23,513
 08-17-2013, 12:46 PM
User Info
Thanks for sharing those memories and photos. What happened to the 7 day sets?

21 1,474
 08-17-2013, 01:03 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Mike

Though the back story is tinged with sadness, those razors and their history should also bring you a lot! of happiness and fond memories...

Enjoy them Cheers

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 08-18-2013, 05:23 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
(08-17-2013, 07:09 AM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: Nice story Michael and a very nice collection, even though the second Wade & Butcher is a regrind I would love to restore and use that one, the first Wade & Butcher I think you are right on the money date wise, and like you I was a knife collector but I always found razors to be far more interesting.

Thanks Jamie. The second W&B has a fantastic balance and I will certainly restore it. I need some time to fondle it and formulate a strategy. The backside scale has a small piece missing that doesn't interfere with it's function, but it looks a bit 'ratty'. Not sure what to do with the older W&B yet.

(08-17-2013, 08:44 AM)Johnny Wrote: Mike, don't be sad that the last person to touch these beauties was you Dad, be glad and proud he was.

I have two Schick Injectors locked up in the safe deposit box at the bank that belonged to my Dad. One was issued to him during WWII and the other one he bought new in 1946, the year I was born. Neither have ever been used and they will stay that way.

I know it sounds corny especially at 67, but when I use things that either belonged to my Father or Grandfather I find myself talking to them. Brings back a lot of love and great memories.

Cherish those gems.

I hear that Johnny. I also brought a fair amount of the hand tools Dad had on his workbench. He often rehandled the folding knives. He loved to work in MoP, but sadly it might have been the early years of breathing in the dust before he knew better that accellerated his lung disease. Who knows. But I have his ball peen hammer, old dremmel & bits, cleaning tools, jewelers block, anvil..and more. He used all of these items in the shop and remember them clearly.

(08-17-2013, 12:46 PM)lindyhop66 Wrote: Thanks for sharing those memories and photos. What happened to the 7 day sets?

Ah, who knows. Long gone. Maybe one of our members bought them from him..no way to know. Though, his catalogs might have who he sold them to.

(08-17-2013, 01:03 PM)mikeperry Wrote: Hi Mike

Though the back story is tinged with sadness, those razors and their history should also bring you a lot! of happiness and fond memories...

Enjoy them Cheers

Take care, Mike

Agree Mike... The hand written tags have special meaning.

33 914
 08-18-2013, 08:19 AM
User Info
If they were mine Mikael I would be more than tempted to make a new set of horn scales for both, I bet both would be great restoration projects, I'm in the market for a big old Wade & Butcher blade, with a barbers notch for a project I have in mind, this will include horn scales and Bulls eye washers, the second Wade and Butcher would be perfect, I would say that's around 1860s

5 1,805
 08-18-2013, 01:42 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I agree Jamie. My current project, a Henckels Friodur, was supposed to have ox horn scales but it is going in a different direction. I still want to do something in the ox horn (as well as giraffe bone, though the giraffe might not be period correct for the W&B).

33 914
 08-18-2013, 06:10 PM
User Info
Mike, thanks for sharing and those are some lovely razors!
Good luck with some of the restorations. Smile

75 20,883
 08-21-2013, 11:01 AM
User Info
Hi Michael, what size is the second Wade & Butcher?

5 1,805
 08-21-2013, 05:52 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
(08-18-2013, 06:10 PM)celestino Wrote: Mike, thanks for sharing and those are some lovely razors!
Good luck with some of the restorations. Smile

Thanks.. should be fun. Five are honed and ready to go back in service. A few of the five were touch and go and I am not sure how long the edges will hold up. There is some pitting at the bevel of one or two and as one spot came back others collapsed. We'll see how they shave.

(08-21-2013, 11:01 AM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: Hi Michael, what size is the second Wade & Butcher?

Maintains 13/16 from toe to heel.

33 914
 08-22-2013, 02:34 AM
User Info
Nice collection of heirlooms Michael. My favourites are the Thomas Turner and the stub tail W&B. Enjoy in good health!

Nice story to them too, I'm sure your dad would be pleased that you plan to restore them - these are razors that money can't buy.

BTW how are you getting on with the Friodur? Let us know how the restoration pans out.

Ash

2 52
 08-22-2013, 02:52 AM
User Info
Congratulations, Mike, and thank you very much for sharing those with us! Enjoy them at the best of health.
Those photos were a delight to see. Smile

2 5,527
 08-22-2013, 10:20 AM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Thanks for sharing Mike. I agree, the haul is bitter sweet, but I also believe that the razors serve as great reminders of good memories.

27 860
 08-22-2013, 10:29 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
(08-22-2013, 02:34 AM)turando72 Wrote: Nice collection of heirlooms Michael. My favourites are the Thomas Turner and the stub tail W&B. Enjoy in good health!

Nice story to them too, I'm sure your dad would be pleased that you plan to restore them - these are razors that money can't buy.

BTW how are you getting on with the Friodur? Let us know how the restoration pans out.

Ash

Thanks Ash. These are just the first of the lot. I have another handful to sort through. The Thomas Turner is going to be a great razor once I stabilize the split. I don't think the inlay work could be duplicated, so I am going to do what I can with these scales. The old W&B.. No idea what to do with that yet.

The Friodur.. Got one pass out of it and sent it off to be rescaled. As it turned out, that blade has a serious twist to it. It's bent towards the back side by about 4mm (that's a huge bend) which is why it didn't center. Nothing can be done to straighten it as hardened stainless will just snap if put under the kind of pressure required to remove the warp. Sad. It's still a nice blade and with the rescale, it may center better, but it will never be right 100% and honing it is going to be a serious challenge.

(08-22-2013, 10:20 AM)ojinsa Wrote: Thanks for sharing Mike. I agree, the haul is bitter sweet, but I also believe that the razors serve as great reminders of good memories.

(08-22-2013, 02:52 AM)oversaturn Wrote: Congratulations, Mike, and thank you very much for sharing those with us! Enjoy them at the best of health.
Those photos were a delight to see. Smile

Thanks Gents. Even if these blades never go in rotation, they have seen light of day, that may never have fallen on them. Dad would be happy.

33 914
 08-22-2013, 02:21 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Mike, trust me, your Dad would be proud. Thank you for sharing both the razors and cherished memories.

2 11,211
 08-28-2013, 08:50 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Thank you for sharing that with us.

14 870
 09-14-2013, 05:20 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
Thank you for the showing of the collection.
~Richard

8 1,190