08-17-2013, 09:02 AM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
Hey Everyone!

My barbecue is about to give up the ghost, after a good cleaning it turned into a flame thrower because the burner has a few holes rusted in it and so...well you should get the picture. (But in my defense it was given to me 2 years ago and an old BBQ is better than no BBQ).

I am looking to buy a replacement for it and am thinking of going with a charcoal grill. I'm tired of buying propane and I have read that the charcoal grill is something to master, and being a (self proclaimed) master chef by hobby I am excited about that challenge.

I am looking at a Weber as they seem to have the best reviews. (and I can't believe how cheap they are compared to gas grills) The only thing is, I have never used a charcoal grill before and I don't know of any good sources of information (except amazingribs.com). I am also interested in smoking meats and know of an accessory you can get (The Smokenator) that fits in the Weber.

Anyway, I know some of you do grilling and so I am wondering if you guys have any input or advice? I should note I don't know when it will be bought, I need to get working again first. Wink

Thanks and I look forward to hearing thoughts!

1 608
 08-17-2013, 10:35 AM
User Info
Love my Weber, been using one since I wss a kid.

Get the one with the integrated table!

Have smoked a pork roast a couple of times - delicious!

Make sure to buy whole hardwood chunk charcoal.

47 1,112
 08-17-2013, 10:43 AM
User Info
Can't go wrong with a Weber. Grill or razor.

0 156
 08-17-2013, 11:18 AM
User Info
For a charcoal grill, you can't go wrong with a Weber.

5 938
 08-17-2013, 11:39 AM
User Info
I've owned several Weber charcoal grills of different sizes and they have all been great.

15 762
 08-17-2013, 12:21 PM
User Info
Yep, Webers are good and a great price. Since I got my Primo though I am down to just a small Weber kettle now.

If you are also going to smoke food, take a look at the Weber bullet

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

31 1,800
 08-17-2013, 12:27 PM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Yep, unless you are going to get a pit, the Weber Kettle is the way to go!!

Enjoy!!!

4 2,378
 08-17-2013, 03:18 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
Thanks for the confirmation that I'd be making a good choice! I had to pass up a new one (on sale for $80 Confused ) today due to lack of fundage. The Smokey Mountain cooker looks interesting, I watched a video in the site you referenced and was happy to see how it worked.

A question though...are charcoal grills easy to learn? I'm curious as to the learning curve involved. I know that asking to compare it to a gas grill is comparing apples to oranges, so I won't. I'm just wondering if they are easy to use (once you start it up a few times)? I'm used to tending fires, etc...I have just never used charcoal as a fuel source before.

One more thing, does anyone know of a great place to find BBQ sauce recipes, etc? Like I mentioned above, I'm new to 'real' BBQ cooking. Smile

1 608
 08-17-2013, 03:24 PM
User Info
charcoal is easy. I switched back about 5y or so ago and love it.

lots of fun, great taste and we only use LUMP charcoal and no fire starter fluid or chemicals.

you can smoke on a kettle without the smokenator, i've done a turkey on mine with no issues. you will have to adjust every now and then and maybe add charcoal as they don't hold temps like a kamado does.

if you can hold out and stretch the funds, check out the Vision Kamado's from costco $400 at end of season?? it's the best BBQ purchase I ever made was getting a ceramic grill. it cooks, grills, bakes and smokes with ease and holds temps and charcaol for ultra long cooks. pretty much fill with Lump, set, stable the temp and it does the rest.

lots of BBQ forums out there and websites, i just google as needed.

for smoking, I use this guys site: http://tm52.com/bge/

as others have said, you can't go wrong with a Webber Kettle. makes sure to buy the 22-1/2" model and the Silver is just fine, no need to spend an extra $100 on the Ash Tray the Gold series comes with. craiglist may be a place to look, i picked up my Weber 22-1/2" Kettle locally for about $5-10.

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=185235&stc=1&d=1312747281]

8 2,718
 08-17-2013, 03:36 PM
User Info
Funds are always a consideration, but if you are able I strongly recommend a ceramic grill. I have the large Big Green Egg and it is definitely the last grill I will ever have to buy

It does everything and does it well. Lump charcoal is the way to go for extreme heat and low ash, but in a Weber you shouldn't worry about using briquettes.

Good luck with whatever you buy, charcoal is king

8 240
 08-17-2013, 03:54 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I also vote for a Weber. Also, grab one of their chimney starters while you're at it, they're wonderful for getting things going and they're very inexpensive.
I'd also recommend a good hardwood lump charcoal over your standard briquettes, they burn hotter and longer and give a much better flavor.

31 1,510
 08-17-2013, 03:59 PM
User Info
I am a big fan of the Weber charcoal grills. I also have a smokenator, but rarely use it. It is easier just to use a small fire box, put unlit on the bottom, and a few coals on top with some wood. I did a nice 2" thick Boston Butt Steak like that tonight. I brought it up to 145F then did a reverse sear. It was fantastic.

Gas is much more convenient, but charcoal is the way to go.

18 567
 08-17-2013, 04:04 PM
User Info
Yes, a $10 chimney starter is great for starting.

Now I just use a blow torch on the coals for 30-45 seconds and then leave the lid off to get all the oxygen in to fuel it.

8 2,718
 08-17-2013, 04:08 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Luke, it looks like you're getting some fantastic help from everyone. Good luck on your purchase.

By the way, though I no longer grill, I have never understood the appeal of a gas grill. The flavor is simply not the same and I could just as easily broil in my oven without the expense or mess of an outdoor gas grill. Good luck with whatever comes your way. Smile

2 11,211
 08-17-2013, 05:11 PM
User Info
Webers are a fine grill ! I keep one in the RV and one at home. As a matter of fact if I'm only doing 1 or 2 slabs of ribs I smoke them in the Weber instead of the smoker.

6 1,224
 08-17-2013, 06:28 PM
  • dajmacd
  • Tennessee River Valley
User Info
+1 on the Weber kettle. Great value and extremely versatile. I grill (duh!), smoke and bake pizzas on mine. I just use Kingsford blue or competition briquettes. I find I get better temperature control with the briqs over lump. That said, I have a buddy with the big Primo oval with computer temp control and it is an unbelievably sweet rig. But at over 12x the cost of my Weber, I'll be content to live vicariously through him.

4 179
 08-17-2013, 08:12 PM
User Info
Is anyone getting hungry and wanting a shave at the same time with all this talk about Webers?!Biggrin

75 20,883
 08-18-2013, 04:00 AM
User Info
A good point was made by Bruce, check Craigslist often...some people just don't want to use charcoal and you can find some nice grills this way.

31 1,800
 08-18-2013, 05:42 AM
User Info
heating UP
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=348652&d=1373155613]

On the cooker
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=348653&d=1373155616]

Sauced and ready 4 hours later
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=348654&d=1373155620]

2 minutes after they hit the plate
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=348656&d=1373155629]

8 2,718
 08-18-2013, 10:13 AM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
Check out the PORTABLE KITCHEN grill. You can smoke with it and it is legendary. My dad still has the one he bought back in 1972. Cast aluminum with rounded corners. No rust. The company went bankrupt years ago and a guy that bought an original one resurrected the company just to get parts for his!

2 334