08-18-2013, 05:39 AM
User Info
Picked up a jar of this after seeing a few favorable comments here on the Nook, my impressions after shaving twice with this soap.

This is a high-quality, limited-ingredient vegan/vegetable oil soap made only with Essential Oils (what I've been focusing on of late). Soap comes in a tall, narrow jar (less than ideal for loading directly on the puck) and is a very soft soap, softer than a croap, almost a cream.

As such, this soap loads quite easily - 15 seconds will give you more than enough soap for a 5-6 pass shave.

Soap has a very nice, fairly strong scent to it (no skimping on the essential oils here). In short, I quite like it, and it stays nice and strong throughout your shave (if you like subdued scents I would say this soap is not for you).

On to the shave, 15 second load, straight to the face, and OH MY GOD this stuff explodes into a rich, creamy, luxurious lather (comparable to MdC imho).

First pass was luxurious, although slickness was merely good (this soap seems to like a little more water than most veggies). Scent was strong (but not overpowering) and heavenly.

2nd pass I used a bit more water and I was pretty much in shave heaven here - very good cushion, excellent slickness, no drying on the face!

3rd and 4th pass was more of the same (I generally do a 4 pass shave), finished up and my brush was still chock full of lather. So what to do? Simple a 5th pass, and purely for the joy of shaving, this stuff is fantastic!

Excellent post-shave moisturizing as well.

In short, this is my new, favorite North-American veggie soap, and in the same league as my other favorite veggies, Calani & (dare I say it) MdC, and easily in the same league as my favorite tallow soaps - Mike's, Barrister & Mann, Mystic Water to name a few.

For $18 shipped don't see how you can go wrong giving this stuff a try - yet another excellent artisan shave soap!

My only nit with it is that its a little soft for my preferences, not a fan of the small jar (I transferred it to a different container), but these are minor nits.

47 1,112
 08-18-2013, 10:40 AM
User Info
Congratulations on the new soap. Any pics and ingredients list?

75 20,883
 08-18-2013, 10:50 AM
User Info
No pics, but here's the ingredients from his website:

Ingredients: Vegetable Stearic Acid, Distilled Water, Coconut Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Vegetable Glycerin, Essential Oils (Lavender, Ho Wood, Amyris, Pimenta Racimosa (West Indian Bay)).

47 1,112
 08-26-2013, 05:16 PM
User Info
Just wanted to follow up and say how much I'm loving this stuff. A permanent place in my rotation, thinking about ordering some other scents.

I don't seem to be in the minority here either - a fair amount of buzz about this soap on a certain other (large) shave forum....

47 1,112
 08-27-2013, 08:26 AM
User Info
David, thanks for the follow up and thoughts on this soap which quite frankly, I had no idea existed until now.

That said, this sounds like amazing stuff and Im VERY eager to give it try now after reading your testimonial.

64 796
 08-27-2013, 08:48 AM
User Info
You won't be disappointed, the Woody Lavender is heavenly, right up there with Mike's Hungarian Lavender.

And FYI, I'm not the 1st person who's compared this to MdC.....

47 1,112
 08-27-2013, 12:49 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
i would not compare this to MdC. The lather and after shave skin care properties that MdC provides are second to none. LA Shaving just does not compare to MdC in these categories, but price-wise the soap will stand up to any of the similarly priced British Creams or Italian Soaps. It is on par with 3P.... I have the unscented variety because to be honest none of his scents appealed to me at all.

What I do like, other than the price-point, is the amount of product needed to produce a thick creamy lather for my normal 3-pass routine...a small dip and swirl, just enough to coat the tips produces a fine creamy lather and makes me wonder how a great cream like this has gone unnoticed for so long!

I also like how the unscented is just that - unscented...it does have a hint of scent from the ingredients, but nothing like what we have seen with other soaps or creams labled unscented, such as MdC....they should call that Light Scent, not unscented...!

The lather is billowy and on the creamy side. Mine doesn't product yogurt lather like some of the others, but it does provide plenty of cushion and glide.

The After shave properties are lacking, but my results may vary from yours due to the handmade nature of artisanal products. I find that with this cream I must use an asb or gel as my skin gets dry from it.

For $15 and change this is a great cream and definitely an artisanal soap you should put on your list of things to try!

68 1,416
 08-27-2013, 02:51 PM
User Info
Hmm, I was thinking more about lathering and shave feel when I made the comparison.

However, hadn't noticed a big difference in post shave feel on these two, maybe YMMV?

Will have to do some more direct comparisons on post shave care.

47 1,112
 08-27-2013, 03:30 PM
User Info
Seeing that this soap was reverse engineered from MdC (explained in great detail on another forum), there should be some big similarities between the two.

2 102
 08-27-2013, 04:22 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
(08-27-2013, 03:30 PM)SFGiantsFan Wrote: Seeing that this soap was reverse engineered from MdC (explained in great detail on another forum), there should be some big similarities between the two.

Perhaps that's true of the Woody Lavender, but the unscented to me does not perform like MdC at all. With MdC one 10 sec swirl on the top of the soap is enough for 4 passes. With MdC I do not need an after-shave balm at all, and there is usually no irritation. Face feel after the shave with MdC is astonishingly soft, but dry as a bone with LA Shaving Company Unscented. The MdC is more Moisturizing and except for scent (to me) would be the perfect soap.

68 1,416
 09-08-2013, 05:25 PM
User Info
Back in the rotation on this one, and really loving it!

Turning into one of my favorite soaps - quick to load, super-slick, fantastic scent, and for me above average moisturizing (better than the other veggie soaps I have, including MdC).

The only caveat I can give is that its a thirsty soap - need to treat this one like a tallow soap (i.e. more water!) for it to really shine.

47 1,112
 09-08-2013, 06:26 PM
User Info
And I understand that there may be an LA fougere in development! Looking forward to hearing more about that!

3 543
 09-08-2013, 08:45 PM
User Info
(09-08-2013, 06:26 PM)john parker Wrote: And I understand that there may be an LA fougere in development! Looking forward to hearing more about that!
It's on their website already. More pricey than the others, so I want someone else to take the leap first and let me know how it smells. :-)

24 235
 09-09-2013, 11:38 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I used a sample of the Lavender yesterday and must recant some of my post from above...as it surprised me quite a bit! I must say that perhaps this variant WAS reverse engineered from MdC...The scent is softer, but has the same notes as MdC, and the lather was wonderfully satisfying! The after shave quality was worlds above my unscented variety...I did not need to lather nearly as long and the lather quality was unbelieveable in comparison to the MdC sample I used.

I actually like the LA Shaving version BETTER than MdC which speaks volumes! Add that to the fact that the LA Shaving Variety is around $50 less for a comparable quantity and it's a no-brainer...

I ordered A fougere to check it out...My ABSOLUTE FAVORITE Fougere is the Houbigant Fougere Royale! I hope it has similar qualities, and is not sharp like the MdC version...If it performs anything like my Lavender sample it will be a winner in my den!

68 1,416
 09-09-2013, 12:27 PM
User Info
Eager to try the Fougere myself - ingredients look promising!

I am on sabbatical until the holidays (at least), so this one will have to wait...Sad

Curious to here others opinions though.

Here's an excerpt from his blog on how this soap was developed!

http://lashavingsoap.com/blogs/news

[Image: tf_-_grass_large.jpg?221]

Developing the Topanga Fougère Scent
(I'm discussing the ingredients I'm using in the final product here, since I list them on my packaging anyway. I'd rather you know what's in the product you're buying rather than simply saying "parfum" or "fragrance" and have you wonder. If you're a fougère enthusiast and this encourages you to design your own, so much the better.)

I had lavender, which was a good start.

Then instead of coumarin I decided to go with vanilla extract, which, in addition to having some of the gourmet flavorful notes I was looking for, didn't have all the distracting sugary and buttery notes of the tonka bean. (Plus, it's safe enough that it's a widely used food ingredient.)

Instead of oakmoss, I went with balsam tolu, which provided a similar woody scent that was slightly less heavy but had an almost incense like tone to it.

Then it was a matter of making multiple efforts to round out and optimize the scent.

After repeated attempts, I found that adding clary sage and geranium to beef up the top notes, and ho wood, bergamot, vetiver, opopanax (sweet myrrh), patchouli and anise to round out the mid and base notes, resulted in something pretty special.

Thus, Topanga Fougère was born, and it is one of the few fougère scents made only from plant essential oils and extracts, with no added synthetics or fragrance oils.

47 1,112
 09-10-2013, 06:17 AM
  • evnpar
  • Super Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Al's has a new very nice fougère soap called Sapone da Barba Fougere About It that I find equal in performance to his creams.

34 4,530
 09-10-2013, 06:42 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
(09-10-2013, 06:17 AM)evnpar Wrote: Al's has a new very nice fougère soap called Sapone da Barba Fougere About It that I find equal in performance to his creams.

Have you tried it? If so, write a review for us...

68 1,416
 09-10-2013, 06:50 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I am glad for the Banter about this cream.

It seems that YMMV but, that even Crag revisited the product and revised his previous findings.

It sounds like an interesting cream and one that I will have to put on the never ending list.

1 819
 09-10-2013, 07:05 AM
User Info
So much for the sabbatical - Fougere is on its way!

Justified it as I was ordering some Woody Lavender as a gift for a friend (keep the shipping costs down...) Dodgy

47 1,112
 09-11-2013, 06:33 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I thought I was done buying product until I opened this thread. How could I possibly resist buying a jar of Topanga Fougère? I'm sure once it arrives I'll wish I had included Santa Monica Bay Rum and Woody Lavender with my order...

43 1,690