02-28-2012, 04:01 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[center][Image: P1230694.jpg][/center]

A little while ago I did read about the new Spencer and Devon shaving creams and since then I wanted to try one of these creams.
So I did order a Spice shaving cream to <!-- m -->http://www.bullgooseshaving.net<!-- m --> ,after reading some good reviews,including the one from the master Mantic59.

[center][Image: P1230685.jpg][/center]

This cream come on a plastic jar with 240 g and has a cost of 27.50.Due to the small amount of shaving cream you need to create a good lather,a jar like this could last for over a year,so its a bargain.I chose the Spice scent since I heard it was really nice,and I can confirm that its really nice,being a Bay Rum scent with no really strong "sweet" notes,something that I dont like.

This shaving cream ingredients are :

[center][Image: P1230684.jpg][/center]

As you can read this cream contains Aloe Vera,oils of olive,avocado,coconut,shea butter,wheat germ extract,Chamomille,Green Tea...and the question that arises after reading its ingredient list is,does it makes lather?

Here a pic of the Vie Long 16726 finest badger shaving brush (what a great brush!) with a little bit of cream on its tips :

[center][Image: P1230695.jpg][/center]

and after a minute creating lather on the palm of my hand,this is the result :

[center][Image: P1230696.jpg][/center]

So as you can see,yes,its creates lather,a lather that its easy to make once you realize how to do it right (start with the brush kind of dry and apply water slowly).But the best of it are its skin care properties,which puts more of the english shaving creams (I was testing the D.R. Harris line of shaving creams last week,so I know what Im talking about) to shame,specially for a dry skin as mine.This cream plays on the same league than Tabula Rasa,Dovo,Acca Kappa in tub and Santa Maria la Novella,and its a little bit ahead than other great shaving creams like Speick,Florena,Nivea or the Edwin Jagger/Muhle.

The shave was really good today (I did 3 passes using a Merkur HD with an Astra blade).The lather its kind of sticky so allows the razor to glide effortless while keeping the skin moisturize,during and after the shave.As I said,I have a super dry skin,specially in winter,and felt great after I shaved with it.When I applied the La Toja lotion I only felt its freshness,and no sting at all from the alcohol,so that says a lot about this shaving cream skin care properties.

Its scent lasted through the shave and even after,and as I wrote earlier,its a Bay Rum scent,but not really sweet,but with some spice notes,like clove.

I would have to use this shaving cream more time to have a full idea but today showed me its potential and skin care properties.Well done for S&D!

86 7,124
 02-28-2012, 05:00 PM
User Info
It is unfortunate that the product lacks elegance in the container, otherwise appears a perfect product. Excellent foam, excellent protection and great height of shaving cream.

Thank you master. Congratulations on the review.

; }

0 422
 02-28-2012, 05:05 PM
  • mantic59
  • Unregistered
User Info
I just tried the "Sagebrush" scent yesterday--its a mix of herbal and woody scents that may be an acquired taste for some. That said, it performs really well.

02-28-2012, 07:57 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I am glad to hear that you liked it Teiste. I think I may have to "adopt" a pot for myself.

45 16,362
 02-29-2012, 02:24 AM
User Info
It seems a very good shave cream. Amazing list of ingredients.

0 107
 02-29-2012, 01:03 PM
User Info
I've read one reviewer somewhere else that said it didn't' lather at all and that he wouldn't even shave a cat using this stuff. Your pictures Teiste obviously prove differently. Certainly looks to produce a nice lather to me. Thanks for the review and giving me a different perspective on this new product.

31 7,914
 02-29-2012, 01:10 PM
User Info
Nice review and the lather looked great to me. I always take overly negative and overly positive review with a big grain of salt, because if a product has been around awhile and other people have success with it, that tells me the fault most likely is with the reviewers technique and not the product.

Fragrance is another thing alltogether though.

0 372
 02-29-2012, 02:25 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Great review Teiste. Will definitely have to try it.

100 12,450
 03-04-2012, 05:52 PM
User Info
Thank you for a very solid review. A product that will have to be on the wish list to try for the future.

29 1,731
 03-16-2012, 08:33 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(02-29-2012, 01:03 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I've read one reviewer somewhere else that said it didn't' lather at all and that he wouldn't even shave a cat using this stuff. Your pictures Teiste obviously prove differently. Certainly looks to produce a nice lather to me. Thanks for the review and giving me a different perspective on this new product.

24 I read that same review. Sometimes he knows not of what he speaks. Biggrin

173 23,555
 03-16-2012, 09:37 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I can make a video proving that this shaving cream lathers well.Dunno who has said that,but the cream its not difficult to lather as others I have tried.

86 7,124
 03-16-2012, 01:06 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(02-28-2012, 05:05 PM)mantic59 Wrote: I just tried the "Sagebrush" scent yesterday--its a mix of herbal and woody scents that may be an acquired taste for some. That said, it performs really well.

I agree. I really like the earthy sagebrush scent that I was sent a sample of and I had no trouble getting up a good lather. Unlike Teiste, I bowl lather so, obviously, one can get a fine lather using either method.

2 11,211
 03-28-2012, 03:30 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I just got my free tub of this cream from Phil for the Grand Opening Member Drive contest and had my first shave with it.

Wow, nice stuff! The smell reminds me of an interesting take on masala chai or Somali tea. So much so that I kept sniffing for the tea, even though I knew it wasn't there. Smile

10 1,858
 03-28-2012, 05:24 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-28-2012, 03:30 PM)Songwind Wrote: I just got my free tub of this cream from Phil for the Grand Opening Member Drive contest and had my first shave with it.

Wow, nice stuff! The smell reminds me of an interesting take on masala chai or Somali tea. So much so that I kept sniffing for the tea, even though I knew it wasn't there. Smile

Did you have any problems making lather with it?Rolleyes

86 7,124
 03-29-2012, 05:12 AM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Not really. I did have one but it was my own fault.

After reading several descriptions that mentioned that you don't need much cream to make a lather, I started off with way too little. Smile So I had to go back to the pot for a bit more, but still less than I use of, say, Taylor of Old Bond Street.

10 1,858
 03-29-2012, 11:06 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Great review, thanks for sharing.

1 3,507
 05-15-2012, 09:01 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I just shaved again with the Spencer & Devon shaving creams and can honestly say, it is excellent. While the scent of the Spice cream may or may not be your cup of tea, the performance and skin conditioning properties of this cream are excellent. It will always have a place in my rotation.

Fortunately, there is also an unscented version. Biggrin

45 16,362
 05-15-2012, 09:34 AM
User Info
How many times have I said that I already have too many soaps and creams?.... This S&D cream is certainly tempting, but right now I have my eye on the new Harris Windsor.

185 12,010
 05-15-2012, 12:39 PM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(05-15-2012, 09:34 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: How many times have I said that I already have too many soaps and creams?.... This S&D cream is certainly tempting, but right now I have my eye on the new Harris Windsor.

Give in to the dark side!

I think I'll make this cream experiment #5 with the Silvertip Fiber brush....

10 1,858
 05-15-2012, 05:49 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I've often considered the Spencer and Devon shaving creams, but never tried them. Recently some of my former favourites (such as Cella) have been leaving my face feeling less than cared for. The moisturising properties have peaked my interest and are tipping the scales in favour of making another product purchase that I don't really need!

91 17,876