08-18-2013, 12:33 PM
User Info
Why do you use a shampoo bar over traditional shampoo? I am curious to know what would make someone switch over!
Thanks!!

2 72
 08-18-2013, 01:46 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
the bar I use, J.R. Liggett's Old Fashioned Bar Shampoo, is a well made, mild product
that cleans thoroughly, but does not overstrip.
there is no heavy perfuming. It is devoid of harsh chemicals.
a bar only costs a few $ and oultlasts several bottles of shampoo.
I like J R better than about all other shampoos I have ever used, so I stick with it.

0 1,291
 08-26-2013, 04:57 PM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
I've used Liggetts in the past and it is a pretty good product.Here lately I have been using Glovers Dandruff Soap,less than 3 dollars a bar,lathers up well even though it smells a bit odd.It can be found in many drug and beauty stores.

Shampoo bars tend to last a long time,good value for the cost.

0 274
 08-26-2013, 05:16 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I used a bar of Mike's shampoo while I was out of country at field school. It made air travel easier having one less liquid product, and it had some incredible results which will definitely make me buy more after my liquid shampoo runs out. Ease of use, ease of storage, and quality of hair health are all good in my book!

35 1,732
 08-26-2013, 05:35 PM
User Info
Thanks for the replies gents! I'm thinking about giving it a go just for the heck of it.....

2 72
 01-15-2014, 02:47 AM
User Info
(08-26-2013, 05:16 PM)Tonality Wrote: I used a bar of Mike's shampoo while I was out of country at field school. It made air travel easier having one less liquid product, and it had some incredible results which will definitely make me buy more after my liquid shampoo runs out. Ease of use, ease of storage, and quality of hair health are all good in my book!

+1 - I use Mike's bars all the time. They are also long lasting, which is yet another benefit.

Mind you, I keep my hair REALLY short - YMMV if you keep yours longer.

3 3,550
 01-15-2014, 08:47 AM
User Info
I'm going to jump on this thread and ask another question about shampoo bars. I really like using shampoo bars, especially those with neem and/or tea tree oil added. Unfortunately, the bars I buy are more than $8 a piece and they really don't last any longer than a normal sized bar of commercially available soap.

So, are there any shampoo bars that people recommend that are more reasonably priced? Maybe something more in the $3-4 range per bar? Or am I just being cheap?

2 234
 01-15-2014, 09:50 AM
User Info
^^ Mike's is $6.75 + p&p - worth the price and worth the wait.

3 3,550
 01-15-2014, 12:32 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I don't think you're being cheap but keep in mind that most shampoo bars are made by artisans in small batches. There are not many that are massed produced and sold in bricks and mortar stores. The only one I can think of is J.R. Liggett's Old Fashioned Shampoo Bar. I purchased it at Woodman's in Green Bay, Wisconsin: http://secure.jrliggett.com/proddetail.php?prod=1020. Notice that the cost is about the same as some artisans' and perhaps even more, based on its somewhat small 3.5-ounce size.

(01-15-2014, 08:47 AM)el_mustango Wrote: I'm going to jump on this thread and ask another question about shampoo bars. I really like using shampoo bars, especially those with neem and/or tea tree oil added. Unfortunately, the bars I buy are more than $8 a piece and they really don't last any longer than a normal sized bar of commercially available soap.

So, are there any shampoo bars that people recommend that are more reasonably priced? Maybe something more in the $3-4 range per bar? Or am I just being cheap?

2 11,211
 01-16-2014, 10:15 AM
User Info
Mystic Waters shampoo bar lasts me a while. Unsure about price per use, but I think it's comparable to the liquid stuff I used to use.

9 2,988
 01-16-2014, 10:30 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(01-16-2014, 10:15 AM)asharperrazor Wrote: Mystic Waters shampoo bar lasts me a while. Unsure about price per use, but I think it's comparable to the liquid stuff I used to use.

Agreed.

A bar of MW shampoo typically lasts 6-8 weeks for me ... used daily.

Regardless of any minor cost differences, my main reason for using these shampoo bars at this time is that of performance.

102 17,661
 01-16-2014, 11:03 AM
User Info
Boy, sometimes, I wish I still had some hair on my head! Biggrin

75 20,883
 02-03-2014, 10:45 PM
  • evnpar
  • Super Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I have been enjoying Mike's for the past six months, and have a sample bar from Mystic Water to try out. Mike's just seems to do a better job of shampooing my hair--it feels "squeaky clean," and without harsh chemicals. I think that my hair is in much better condition after using it daily for a few months. I'm sure that Mystic Water will be just as good, as I thoroughly enjoy Michelle's other products.

34 4,501
 02-04-2014, 04:39 PM
User Info
I use a shampoo bar when camping/traveling. Saves room in my kit and it doesn't leak and make a big mess.

1 345
 04-13-2014, 07:22 AM
User Info
The two companies I have the most experience with are Rose of Sharon Acres and Queen Charlotte Soaps.

Both bars create nice and easy lather but do not overly strip the hair. The Peppermint and Eucalyptus from QCS is what I used. The coconut milk unscented bar from Rose of Sharon Acres is also nice.

I made the switch because shampoo bars tend to have cleaner ingredient lists that traditional liquid shampoo found in drugstores (Ex. sulfates, parabens, unpronounceable preservatives)

0 20
 04-13-2014, 08:15 AM
User Info
I just received three samples of shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley and tried the first one today. It lathered like a beast, smelled pleasant enough (Neem & Tea Tree) and felt good on my scalp. I plan on using it exclusively for the next few weeks to see how well it controls flaking.

The other two bars I bought are the Ayurvedic Herb and the Nettle.

Previous to this, the only shampoo bar I've tried before is the JR Liggets, which I like quite a bit.

0 836
 04-13-2014, 08:18 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Ease of use is what made me convert last year. Until I was on the Nook, I couldn't tell you what a shampoo bar was. First I read a thread, and dove in. Mystic Waters and QED make great products for me. Because of my heavy air travel, it is also very convenient not having a liquid too

19 700
 04-13-2014, 04:16 PM
User Info
(04-13-2014, 08:15 AM)5Savages Wrote: I just received three samples of shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley and tried the first one today. It lathered like a beast, smelled pleasant enough (Neem & Tea Tree) and felt good on my scalp. I plan on using it exclusively for the next few weeks to see how well it controls flaking.

The other two bars I bought are the Ayurvedic Herb and the Nettle.

Previous to this, the only shampoo bar I've tried before is the JR Liggets, which I like quite a bit.

I've ordered a few times from Chagrin Valley- I've gotten the Neem & Tea Tree Shampoo Bar, the Seabuckthorn & Tea Tree Shampoo Bar and I've also bought their Cool Menthol Salve. Very good products.

On Friday I ordered some shampoo bars from Apple Valley Soap Co (http://www.applevalleynaturalsoap.com/) - I got the Green Tea & Nettles, Peppermint Tea Tree, MAN, and a sample bar of Wild North. Shipping email said they should be delivered on Tuesday. I can't wait to give them a try, because this Selsun Blue is killing my hair and scalp.

2 234
 04-13-2014, 05:10 PM
User Info
How do you guys store the shampoo bar? Do you use it on the rest of your body or just your head/hair?

19 631
 04-13-2014, 05:22 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(04-13-2014, 05:10 PM)Starkicker Wrote: How do you guys store the shampoo bar? Do you use it on the rest of your body or just your head/hair?

I store shampoo bars the same way I do soap bars ... on a soap dish with ridges.

Shampoo bars are only used on my hair.

I have a soap bar for use on my body.

102 17,661