04-13-2014, 06:37 PM
User Info
(04-13-2014, 04:16 PM)el_mustango Wrote: On Friday I ordered some shampoo bars from Apple Valley Soap Co (http://www.applevalleynaturalsoap.com/ ) - I got the Green Tea & Nettles, Peppermint Tea Tree, MAN, and a sample bar of Wild North. Shipping email said they should be delivered on Tuesday. I can't wait to give them a try, because this Selsun Blue is killing my hair and scalp.

I look forward to your review. Apple Valley is only 8 miles from my house, though I've never heard of them.

0 836
 04-13-2014, 07:01 PM
User Info
I just today ordered a shampoo bar from Mike's.
Will be interesting to try it out as it'll also be the first shampoo bar I've ever used.

0 338
 02-14-2015, 08:45 AM
User Info
(04-13-2014, 04:16 PM)el_mustango Wrote: I've ordered a few times from Chagrin Valley- I've gotten the Neem & Tea Tree Shampoo Bar, the Seabuckthorn & Tea Tree Shampoo Bar and I've also bought their Cool Menthol Salve.  Very good products.  

On Friday I ordered some shampoo bars from Apple Valley Soap Co (http://www.applevalleynaturalsoap.com/)  - I got the Green Tea & Nettles, Peppermint Tea Tree, MAN, and a sample bar of Wild North. Shipping email said they should be delivered on Tuesday. I can't wait to give them a try, because this Selsun Blue is killing my hair and scalp.

I have ordered bar soap from Chagrin Valley and have been pleased with it.  I'm thinking of trying shampoo bars, any thoughts comparing the Chagrin Valley to Apple Valley?  Which do you like better?

9 137
 02-14-2015, 10:30 AM
User Info
I keep my hair short, but wow do the Chagrin Valley bars last a long time. Even the sample bars.

12 1,247
 02-14-2015, 01:32 PM
User Info
I like shampoo bars because they simplify my showering routine (some people still use conditioners, but I find I don't need to), and because you can find ones that don't contain SLS.  As I've mentioned before, I seem to be sensitive to it.  If you want to avoid SLS, be sure to check the ingredients, because some bars contain it.

I don't have any personal experience with Chagrin Valley (I'm pretty sure they don't have SLS in them), but I have heard good things.

0 1,038
 03-13-2015, 07:50 AM
User Info
(02-14-2015, 08:45 AM)Kpfeifle Wrote:
(04-13-2014, 04:16 PM)el_mustango Wrote: I've ordered a few times from Chagrin Valley- I've gotten the Neem & Tea Tree Shampoo Bar, the Seabuckthorn & Tea Tree Shampoo Bar and I've also bought their Cool Menthol Salve.  Very good products.  

On Friday I ordered some shampoo bars from Apple Valley Soap Co (http://www.applevalleynaturalsoap.com/)  - I got the Green Tea & Nettles, Peppermint Tea Tree, MAN, and a sample bar of Wild North. Shipping email said they should be delivered on Tuesday. I can't wait to give them a try, because this Selsun Blue is killing my hair and scalp.

I have ordered bar soap from Chagrin Valley and have been pleased with it.  I'm thinking of trying shampoo bars, any thoughts comparing the Chagrin Valley to Apple Valley?  Which do you like better?

Sorry for the delay in replying. I like both companies a lot. I tend to order from Chagrin Valley more, only because they have a Neem & Tea Tree shampoo bar, and I really like that particular combination.

2 237
 03-13-2015, 09:12 AM
User Info
(04-13-2014, 04:16 PM)el_mustango Wrote:
(04-13-2014, 08:15 AM)5Savages Wrote: I just received three samples of shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley and tried the first one today. It lathered like a beast, smelled pleasant enough (Neem & Tea Tree) and felt good on my scalp. I plan on using it exclusively for the next few weeks to see how well it controls flaking.

The other two bars I bought are the Ayurvedic Herb and the Nettle.

Previous to this, the only shampoo bar I've tried before is the JR Liggets, which I like quite a bit.

I've ordered a few times from Chagrin Valley- I've gotten the Neem & Tea Tree Shampoo Bar, the Seabuckthorn & Tea Tree Shampoo Bar and I've also bought their Cool Menthol Salve.  Very good products.  

my wife uses their bars of soaps and likes them.

40 5,830
 03-13-2015, 09:31 AM
User Info
Haven't tried Apple Valley but I have tried everything else. I thought Chagrin was the best until I tried Shannon's Soaps. That's all I'll use and ended up using my stockpile of Chagrin as body bars. Shannon's shampoo bars are superior on every level IMO.

4 355
 03-14-2015, 05:42 PM
User Info
I have 2/3 gray and 1/3 brown hair. It is thick and curly. The gray is dull and course. I was looking for something that would add shine and softness. I tried Mike's, Mystic Waters and Chagrin Valley. For me the Chagrin Valley Extra Honey Beer and Coconut have been the best. They leave my hair soft and shiny without the need for a conditioner. I have been using them for almost a year now and very pleased.
http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/

13 97
 03-14-2015, 05:48 PM
User Info
Liquid shampoo is pretty much a gimmick... You're paying for what is mostly water. What do you think people used before it was invented? Just regular bar soap that they also used on their bodies. I use Stirling bath soap as a shampoo. or whatever bar soap I happen to be using at the time.

18 713
 03-22-2015, 02:23 PM
User Info
Being a red haired, green eyed, pale skinned Celtic/Anglo Saxon I have very sensitive skin with rosacea, psoriasis, dermatitis/eczema etc. I switch between a shampoo bar, an Aleppo soap, Argan oil conditioner, and T Gel/Polytar treatments. I cannot use SLS/SLES shampoos without a reaction...

0 273
 03-22-2015, 03:03 PM
User Info
I have used Taconic Bay shampoo bars. Lasts a long time. I store it on its side after it is completely dry.

2 60
 08-02-2015, 03:46 AM
User Info
I have been using Liggett's exclusively for several years - very happy with their shampoo bars

4 7
 08-02-2015, 08:22 PM
User Info
I'm just about finished with my first JR Liggett's bar and I'm hooked. Don't think I'll ever go back to liquid shampoo. The Ligget performed well, but it's clean smell seemed to wear off after about a week and started to smell stale, lacked sharpness. I now have a couple bars of mystic water on order. We'll see how those do.

20 97
 09-30-2015, 04:30 PM
User Info
I go scuba diving and jungle trekking every summer in Belize, and I like to take a DR Harris shampoo bar with me.  Comes in a tin can, works really well both as a shampoo and a body soap and will usually last about four weeks of daily use.  I like it because it's small, lightweight and won't spill.

0 135
 09-30-2015, 07:20 PM
User Info
Shampoo bars leave my scalp and hair feeling much better than any liquid shampoo I've tried. My hair tends to be dry, but the shampoo bars definitely help. The JR Liggett was good, but it seemed to go bad (not smell as good) after a few uses. I've been using mystic water and haven't seen the same problem. Granted, I only used one JR Liggett soap.

20 97
 11-11-2015, 11:43 AM
User Info
I like Chagrin Valley shampoo bars. The descriptions let me choose one (Babassu Marsh Mallow) that works well for my scalp and hair. It lasts a long time for me (very short hair). I just find that I need to do a rinse with diluted apple cider vinegar around once a week to keep my scalp and hair in shape.

10 96
 11-16-2015, 11:22 AM
User Info
I've been using shampoo bars exclusively for about 4 years now.  I like Mystic Water bars the best.  

They last a very long time for me.  Here's how I do it: 

When the bar arrives, I cut it into about 1/4-inch slices, and then cut those slices in half.  I have the little plastic "soap protector" thing that came with a JR Liggett's travel size order.  I wet one side of the slice and attach it to the soap protector.  Use that to lather my hair until the soap is gone, then add another half slice.  Each half slice lasts about a week, so each slice is two weeks.  
Using this method is is a breeze to get 3 or 4 months out of one bar.  

If you don't have a soap protector device, you can make one.  I made one for my son using a pair of scissors on a spiked plastic soap holder I got at the dollar store.  Cut a small rectangle out of it, and then cut the spikes off of one side.  Voila!

2 1,322
 11-26-2015, 10:19 PM
User Info
as a fella with bad dandruff and extremely oily hair, and a chemical allergy to most scents, what shampoo bars exist?

0 157
 11-27-2015, 09:17 AM
User Info
(11-26-2015, 10:19 PM)topcatman Wrote: as a fella with bad dandruff and extremely oily hair, and a chemical allergy to most scents, what shampoo bars exist?

Look at Chagrin Valley - they have a wide variety of shampoo bars.

3 123