11-29-2015, 08:24 AM
User Info
Another advantage to shampoo bars is when traveling, you can toss them in your carry on an not get hassled when going through security. Plus I don't much care for most hotel shampoo and conditioners.

I've only tried Taconic (I think that's the name) liked the performance, but it did not last as long as I would have liked. I plan to try JR Liggetts Based on this thread.

2 328
 12-27-2015, 10:53 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I personally am not a fan of shampoo bars. In my experience, they end up turning into a nasty glob since they are much softer than a triple milled soap. I prefer my shampoo in liquid form out of a bottle.

46 18,350
 01-07-2016, 08:08 PM
User Info
The Bar I used was made by my sisters soap on etsy shop makes great soaps shampoo bar I had, had wonderful citrus smell.

0 19
 01-12-2016, 03:14 PM
User Info
I tried one of the Lush shampoo bars. There was no particular reason (except perhaps curiosity) that prompted me to make the purchase. Before setting foot in a Lush store, I had never seen a shampoo bar before. Apparently they are made by multiple companies, including DR Harris from what I understand.

The primary advantage to the shampoo bar is obviously portability. It is a lot easier in many cases to carry around a solid as opposed to a liquid, which is prone to leaking and confiscation in the event of plane travel. Additionally, the shampoo bar I got from Lush seemed to last forever. I'm sure that I got a few months of daily use out of mine.

3 1,484
 01-21-2016, 09:09 PM
User Info
Nice I just got a shampoo bar from lush today I'm trying it out tomorrow morning. Hoping it helps my dandruff a little bit

0 19
 01-24-2016, 03:16 PM
User Info
Shampoo bars, especially those with tea tree, seem to keep my hair and scalp in better, healthier condition than liquids.  I am starting tomorrow to use a tea tree lavender shampoo bar from Sea Glass Soaps in Minnesota.  I haven't used it before, and it certainly smells good.

[Image: ywhymc8.jpg?1][Image: C4wlcfs.jpg?1]

207 12,262
 01-25-2016, 09:21 PM
User Info
Using Mystic water on a work trip right now. The hotel is high end and very obviously has a water softener so the performance of my speick stick and the shampoo bar are amazing. If my water was this soft at home the mystic would be more of a contender.

4 146
 01-28-2016, 06:49 AM
User Info
Tried my shampoo bar from a lush a few days ago so far my scalp has been a lot less flaky & less itchy which is good shampoo bar is called soak & float I think if anyone else on here who has dandruff might wanna give it a try

0 19
 01-28-2016, 07:34 AM
User Info
I can't use these shampoo bars. Dries my scalp out to much. The ones I've tried all came with the recc to use vinegar as well. really not into that.

0 112
 01-28-2016, 01:09 PM
User Info
I am a huge fan of shampoo bars and switched about a year ago.  My sole complaint is that, as stated above, they tend to get mushy in the shower.  I've tried Liggetts, MW, Tiki and have DR Harris as well.  I read somewhere that while you could use a vinegar rinse or conditioner, neither was necessary which is how I do it.

33 548
 01-29-2016, 03:39 PM
User Info
My understanding is that the ph of shampoo bars is much to high for human hair and that's why the suggested use of an acid such as vinegar for a rinse. I've personally never had much luck with them.

1 135
 02-08-2016, 09:34 AM
  • Ram57
  • Boise, ID
User Info
Just started using a Queen Charlotte's Soap Queen Charlotte Soaps Cedarwood Rosemary shampoo bar.

103 2,041
 01-14-2017, 11:18 AM
User Info
Don't use shampoo bars before. Waiting for some bars and bath soaps from Mystic Water. Very good reviews about it.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

2 83
 01-15-2017, 08:46 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(01-28-2016, 07:34 AM)JHamel Wrote: I can't use these shampoo bars. Dries my scalp out to much. The ones I've tried all came with the recc to use vinegar as well. really not into that.

For daily shampooing, I use liquid shampoo, but for dandruff control (every ten days or so), I use a bar of CARIA Pine Tar Olive Oil soap (available only, AFAIK, through the Enormous On-Line Retailer named after a South American river). Its ingredients are very simple: Olive oil, Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter, Pine Tar, and Castor oil. Nothing drying there. It does need to be kept on a well-drained shelf or in a well-drained soap dish, however.

1 1,089
 04-25-2017, 12:02 PM
User Info
Not sure what the problem is with regular shampoo that would make me want to switch.  That's just me.

3 56
 04-25-2017, 06:23 PM
User Info
Not sure if it's still around but RedKen use to make an "RK Men's Bar" that was specifically for hair and body. It always worked well for me all over.

0 189
 05-31-2017, 05:27 AM
User Info
Shampoo Bars come in many types with many different ingredients.  A "shampoo bar" that is made of saponified oils is going to have a high pH as jazzman mentioned and is not really appropriate for human hair and should probably be avoided.  Some people with either very short hair or thick, coarse hair might be able to get away with it but it isn't something that would be recommended.  Shampoo Bars that are made with surfactants that are normally used in liquid shampoo would be a better choice.  If properly made they will contain conditioning agents that help with the look and feel of the hair.  They can also be followed up with Conditioner Bars, also made with the typical ingredients and conditioning agents used in Liquid Conditioners like Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetrimonium Bromide and Behentrimonium Methosulfate which are beneficial to the hair.  It all boils down to what is most convenient for you.  If you travel, it might be easier to put a Shampoo Bar and Conditioner Bar in a plastic container and not have to worry about carrying a container of liquid product in your suitcase.  Some people will find the bars easier to use and others are more comfortable with liquid products.  It's all up to you, but make sure you read the ingredient labels first so you know what you're buying!

0 16
 05-31-2017, 08:55 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Any shampoo (solid or liquid) that uses Sodium Lauryl-sulfate (SLS or derivatives) should be avoided.
Most soaps are alkaline (7+ pH) in nature which causes some minerals to bond with the hair (slightly acidic), so a rinse with diluted apple-cider-vinegar (30/70-50/50) is recommended to dissolve residual salts/minerals and return the hair to a slightly acidic (<7 pH) state.
I've been using Mike's Natural shampoo bars (perpetually out-of-stock) with an apple-cider-vinegar 50/50 rinse for the past year and my hair/scalp has never been better.  I've got crazy-hard-water so I use more vinegar.
Mike's is currently (again) out of stock and I'm on my last bar so I've ordered a load of shampoo bars from Mystic Waters to try out until I can get another order in with Mike's.
As others have pointed out, shampoo bars are highly concentrated so one bar can last for months of daily use.  They're also ideal for travel (not counted as gel/liquid, and no leakage).

47 1,924
 05-31-2017, 05:11 PM
User Info
(05-31-2017, 08:55 AM).Mr_Smartepants Wrote: Any shampoo (solid or liquid) that uses Sodium Lauryl-sulfate (SLS or derivatives) should be avoided.
Most soaps are alkaline (7+ pH) in nature which causes some minerals to bond with the hair (slightly acidic), so a rinse with diluted apple-cider-vinegar (30/70-50/50) is recommended to dissolve residual salts/minerals and return the hair to a slightly acidic (<7 pH) state.
I've been using Mike's Natural shampoo bars (perpetually out-of-stock) with an apple-cider-vinegar 50/50 rinse for the past year and my hair/scalp has never been better.  I've got crazy-hard-water so I use more vinegar.
Mike's is currently (again) out of stock and I'm on my last bar so I've ordered a load of shampoo bars from Mystic Waters to try out until I can get another order in with Mike's.
As others have pointed out, shampoo bars are highly concentrated so one bar can last for months of daily use.  They're also ideal for travel (not counted as gel/liquid, and no leakage).
Amen. SLS irritates my skin badly. No more bottles in my shower... I use a shampoo bar daily.

0 1,071
 06-03-2017, 09:30 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-31-2017, 05:11 PM)Shannon Wrote:
(05-31-2017, 08:55 AM).Mr_Smartepants Wrote: Any shampoo (solid or liquid) that uses Sodium Lauryl-sulfate (SLS or derivatives) should be avoided.
Amen. SLS irritates my skin badly. No more bottles in my shower... I use a shampoo bar daily.

There is a lot of false narrative circulating on the Internet about SLS.  Most of it should be dismissed.

One part of the narrative is true, however:  that SLS is a skin irritant.  In fact, SLS is the standard skin irritant, against which other substances that have an irritating effect are compared.  SLS is the equivalent of 7 on the pH scale; any substance that irritates human skin more than SLS is definitionally an irritant; one that irritates less than SLS is considered relatively benign.  

That said, SLS is one of the most widely used detergents in the world, found in a very wide spectrum of applications, from toothpaste to industrial floor cleaners.  It requires some effort to find a toothpaste that does not contain SLS, and considering the sensitivity of the membranes inside one’s mouth, SLS must be dilute to avoid irritation there.  Because of its widespread use, SLS has been intensively and extensively studied, and universally has been found to be non-toxic and “safe,” in the conventional sense.

Each one of us has his or her own level of sensitivity to skin irritants, but if a product that contains SLS does not irritate your skin, then there is no reason to avoid using it; it is, after all, an excellent detergent.

1 1,089