08-19-2013, 09:07 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
During your last den clearing-out, which products did you deep- six?

I parted with QCS,and will soon part with Jabonman. They are both, IMHO, quasi-Mikes or Mikes-oids that just are not as good as Mikes. Why keep them around?

PS As much as the artisans interest me, I think that in general I prefer the mass-produced stuff. However, I love the luxury of being able to experiment.

1 741
 08-19-2013, 09:14 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Mikes-oids Biggrin
True ...and I'm gonna use that!

88 4,233
 08-19-2013, 12:00 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I just went through a major clearing and sold stuff I never thought I would. But now I can start collecting new things again!

I sold off...

My two favorite brushes which were...

1. M&F Blonde Badger Barrel (Faux Wood)
2. TSN LE Semogue

I sold them because I liked them so much I found myself not wanting to use them and I'm not a collector. I prefer using all my products. Others I parted with were...

Shavemac TSN LE Beehive 2 Band Black
Semogue 208
Vie Long Horse
Semogue ITalian Barber LE
Semogue Special Edition 2012
Merkur 37G

I kept my daily driver Semogue's and Simpon's.

45 3,955
 08-19-2013, 12:35 PM
User Info
I just got rid of some TOBS and some Panna Crema.

I have found myself to not be a huge fan of creams, so while I loved the scent of the Sandalwood TOBS, I just wasn't using it. Gave it to a friend.

Panna Crema was fine soap - but the scent was awful in my opinion. Weak, and when I could smell it, it was more like moldy dirt than anything else. So it also went to a friend.

2 87
 08-19-2013, 03:08 PM
User Info
i got rid of some DE razors and one brush that i was not using.
i don't have much now that i don't use except for a few DEs and 2 straights and a Kamisori that i am saving for my son!
i don't think i have to do any more Den clearing! Biggrin

75 20,883
 08-19-2013, 03:38 PM
User Info
I cleared off my Futur as it was too aggressive for me. I then gave away all my creams and soaps to my business partner who is now learning about wet shaving. He can learn on TOBS Almond, Trumper's Rose, Proraso Green and Red, Dr. Harris Mar & Windsor, MWF, IK, and some Cade.

I kept Arlington, MdC, La Toja, and Proraso Blue to use with my iKon OC! Biggrin

1 56
 08-19-2013, 03:46 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Well, I've only recently begun in the wetshaving world... So I guess I'm one of the guys buying the stuff you no longer want or need! Biggrin

25 4,636
 08-19-2013, 04:30 PM
User Info
I am moving (downsizing) in a couple weeks. Soon as I figure out how much or little room I will have, I will probably get rid of some Tabac, 2 of the 3 boars I have, maybe 1 or 2 badgers, possibly a Merkur Futur, a Cadet, some other creams I don't use often enough.

31 1,800
 08-20-2013, 03:38 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
(08-19-2013, 03:38 PM)12ichie12ich Wrote: I cleared off my Futur as it was too aggressive for me. I then gave away all my creams and soaps to my business partner who is now learning about wet shaving. He can learn on TOBS Almond, Trumper's Rose, Proraso Green and Red, Dr. Harris Mar & Windsor, MWF, IK, and some Cade.

I kept Arlington, MdC, La Toja, and Proraso Blue to use with my iKon OC! Biggrin

You're one helluva partner!

1 741
 08-20-2013, 03:46 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Den Cleaning ... What is that?

I have had to stop buying and start using some of the stuff up.

But, I bought some real cheap crap to see how they worked.

Like a couple of Diane Shaving Brushes, A Traditional Razor on The Bay (Real Light, thin head, substandard materials but, what do you expect for a new razor worth a Buck), and RISE Shaving Cream (made in China). So I will eventually get rid of those items but, the rest of the stuff will be staying.

1 819
 08-20-2013, 04:08 PM
User Info
Interesting thread.

I've gotten rid of:

TOBS Sandalwood soap - burned like crazy
Fume Lavender soap - burned like crazy
Mama Bears samples - burned like crazy and WAY too much scent
Williams shave soap - at 99¢ I had to try it. It was tossed after 3 or 4 attempts. I later bought another puck to try again some time when I'm bored.
2 Travel Tech razors
Turkish #6 brush - smells like horses ass and had a huge void in the middle
SABI razor - to harsh and handle was too slippery when wet

That hasn't been near enough to get rid of and I'm trying to figure out what else can go.

0 836
 08-20-2013, 05:11 PM
User Info
(08-20-2013, 03:38 AM)Teddyboy Wrote:
(08-19-2013, 03:38 PM)12ichie12ich Wrote: I cleared off my Futur as it was too aggressive for me. I then gave away all my creams and soaps to my business partner who is now learning about wet shaving. He can learn on TOBS Almond, Trumper's Rose, Proraso Green and Red, Dr. Harris Mar & Windsor, MWF, IK, and some Cade.

You're one helluva partner!

Thanks Teddyboy! You're quite the gentleman yourself!

1 56
 08-28-2013, 05:40 AM
User Info
Since I started wet shaving about 6 months ago, I’ve not gotten rid of much. I’ve switched from all creams to almost all soaps.

I’ve nixed:

TOBS St. James
TOBS Eton College
TOBS Sandalwood
Cyril Sandalwood
AOS Unscented

Something that is up on the chopping block is some QCS Hannai (sp?). It’s a cherry blossom sort of smell that I’m not real fond of.

0 11
 08-28-2013, 06:42 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Mostly brushes here. I have a few soaps and creams that are not being used at this time, but it cost more to ship them than they are worth, so for now they are in my bottom cabinet.

173 23,503
 08-28-2013, 09:32 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I haven't had a den clearing in quite some time, but I do have some stuff I'm going to offer up...
AoS Tallow First Formula Shave Soap in Lemon - Wrapped in cellophane
Coates Lavender, Lime, and Almond all new
Al's "the bomb" 7-day set,
100grams P160 Tipo Duro,
200 to 300 grams of ABCBA Italian Shave Soap...(have another 600 grams that I'm keeping.)
Penhaligon's Opus 1870 Shave Cream in Tube - too powdery for my wife (I love it tho),
DR Harris Almond in Mahoghany Bowl
DR Harris Lavender puck
Some Omega Brushes and blades...

That's all I can remember at the moment, but I'm sure there is more than that.

68 1,416
 09-01-2013, 05:49 PM
User Info
I've PIF'd away a lot of the soaps and creams I once had.

- Nivea (tube.) Used it once and passed it on to a deserving person in need.
- VdH. Love the scent, but my face didn't get along with it
-JM frasers original, oriental spice and mosswood. I had my fill of the original and the other 2 were given to my Dad.

0 49
 09-03-2013, 05:49 AM
User Info
How long does software last for you guys? I've got a 1/2 Oz samples of Mikes and PdP and I swear they don't appear to be getting smaller at all. I've been using them both for a few months and to my eyes their appearance looks unchanged.

I started off DE shaving using Proraso and initially I didn't see any signs of usage, than all of a sudden it started disappearing.

19 631