08-19-2013, 01:45 PM
User Info
I'll have to admit, I shelve a ton of different soaps and creams. I've tried quite a few, but I'm down to just my favorite. I may pull one or another out every month or so, but there are only 3 to 4 anymore. The same goes for my blades, cigars, whisky... ,etc.

I'm not looking for any names, just numbers. I used to try many different items and have just found a few that I enjoy most often.

Anybody else getting to this 'older fart stage'?

2 546
 08-19-2013, 01:49 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Oh well, if you want the numbers only...
Soaps - 16
Croaps - 18
Creams - 15
Doubles don't count as they are for emergencies only and are hidden Tongue

88 4,233
 08-19-2013, 01:55 PM
User Info
sorry, I have to give names as it's easier to copy/paste

all are new/sealed except the rotation ones...which I have started using up from start to finish

Shaving Creams
DR Harris Almond (tube)
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet (tube)
Panna Creama - Labdano
Proraso Blue (tube)

Shaving Soaps
MdC Scented 170g (2)
MdC Fougere 200g (50g PIF'd)
Mystic Water Green Fairy
Mystic Water Coconut Lime Verbena
Cella Red Tub 150g
Vitos Super Extra (approx 150g)
Le savon des Volcans - Menthe Shave Stick
Haslinger mit Schafmilch & Lanolin
Valobra Stick
Irisch Moos Stick (2)
Speick Stick
Arko Stick
P-160 Figaro (88.3g)
DR Harris Windsor Refill (2)
DR Harris Almond Refill
DR Harris Marlborough Refill
DR Harris Arlington Refill
DR Harris Lavender Refill
Palmolive Stick (Euro)
Stirling Soap Black Cherry
Stirling Soap Anise
Stirling Soap Ben Franklin

Rotation Soaps/Creams

Nancy Boy Signature (in Use)
CF Lavender
La Toja Manantiales
Palmolive Shave Stick

8 2,718
 08-19-2013, 01:59 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Bruce, what's "Rotation Soaps/Creams"? Does it mean the others are not used regularly?

88 4,233
 08-19-2013, 02:05 PM
User Info
(08-19-2013, 01:59 PM)beartrap Wrote: Bruce, what's "Rotation Soaps/Creams"? Does it mean the others are not used regularly?

Since I started using up products exclusively (beginning of year) until they are done from start to finish, they were rotated. Basically they are ones that "were" in rotation or used and then put away.

The CF is 80%, the LaToja is 95% and all other listed items are new. Hence the reason for my sabbatical.

Once I work my way thru them, I hope to get down to a couple soaps and maybe a cream or 2...but It's looking like it will take a while.

8 2,718
 08-19-2013, 02:12 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(08-19-2013, 02:05 PM)Bruce Wrote:
(08-19-2013, 01:59 PM)beartrap Wrote: Bruce, what's "Rotation Soaps/Creams"? Does it mean the others are not used regularly?

Since I started using up products exclusively (beginning of year) until they are done from start to finish, they were rotated. Basically they are ones that "were" in rotation or used and then put away.

The CF is 80%, the LaToja is 95% and all other listed items are new. Hence the reason for my sabbatical.

Once I work my way thru them, I hope to get down to a couple soaps and maybe a cream or 2...but It's looking like it will take a while.

I don't know how you guys do it... I've tried a week and couldn't do it, I get bored Blush

88 4,233
 08-19-2013, 02:14 PM
User Info
(08-19-2013, 02:12 PM)beartrap Wrote: I don't know how you guys do it... I've tried a week and couldn't do it, I get bored Blush

I find it works best and allows you to really get to know the in's and out's of the product and dial it in perfectly.

8 2,718
 08-19-2013, 03:05 PM
User Info
i have been using only two soaps for the longest time, now:
Mystic Water and Mike's, so i guess my rotation is already and has always been very limited although i have to a few different scents! Biggrin

Steve, i was using only one soap until i finished it, then moving on to the next, but for the past three weeks, i have started to vary between four scents and chose which i feel like using although Mystic Water Sardinian Honey seems to be luring me to it almost every day! Biggrin
It isn't as bad as you would think, but i may just continue to vary things, now, since trying it out! Biggrin
By the way, i have 30 soaps.

75 20,883
 08-19-2013, 03:09 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
This is all I'm saying. If I had 1 soap, maybe 2 Tongue it is logical to go back to it every day. But when I have such variety just inside that cabinet, I can't help myself Biggrin

88 4,233
 08-19-2013, 03:15 PM
User Info
(08-19-2013, 03:09 PM)beartrap Wrote: This is all I'm saying. If I had 1 soap, maybe 2 Tongue it is logical to go back to it every day. But when I have such variety just inside that cabinet, I can't help myself Biggrin

* Steve, i completely understand. Granted, i have a few scents from Mystic Water and they are very, very nice and i am enjoying using them more often than every 2 months, now! Biggrin

75 20,883
 08-19-2013, 05:36 PM
User Info
Sounds like we have a different definition of "regularly.Huh

(08-19-2013, 01:49 PM)beartrap Wrote: Oh well, if you want the numbers only...
Soaps - 16
Croaps - 18
Creams - 15
Doubles don't count as they are for emergencies only and are hidden Tongue

2 546
 08-19-2013, 06:02 PM
User Info
My current inventory, of which I actively use everything:

SOAPS

Aramis (vintage)
Boellis Panama 1924 (sample)
Claus Porto Po de Sabao (vintage)
Creed Original Santal
Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
Fitjar East Indies
Floris No. 89 (vintage)
Gibbs No. 53 stick (vintage)
D.R. Harris Lavender (vintage)
Houbigant Fougere Royale (vintage)
Klar Kabinett (sample)
Ralph Lauren Safari (vintage)
Martin de Candre
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Musgo Real stick (vintage)
Palmolive stick (vintage)
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet (vintage)
Penhaligon's English Fern (vintage)
Trumper's Coconut Oil (vintage)
Woods of Windsor (vintage)
Yardley Black Label (vintage)

CREAM-SOAPS

Acqua di Parma Collezione Barbiere
Coates LE
Dr. Selby Concentrated Lavender
RazoRock Italian Master Barber LE
Sultan's Original
Tabula Rasa Olibanum (frankincense)
Vito's Extra Super
Vito's Green - ?rash

CREAMS

Abercrombie & Fitch Woods (vintage)
Coates Almond
Coates Lavender
Coates Lime
Coates Rose
Coates Sandalwood
College Club (vintage)
Crabtree & Evelyn Goatmilk (vintage)
Crabtree & Evelyn Sweet Almond Oil (vintage)
Fitjar East Indies
Floris Elite
Floris JF
Floris No. 89 (vintage)
Floris Santal (vintage)
Gillette Aloe (Argentine)
Gillette Sensitive (Argentine)
DR Harris Windsor
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet
Penhaligon's Castile (vintage)
Penhaligon's Endymion
Penhaligon's Lords (vintage)
Penhaligon's Opus 1870
Proraso Red (vintage)
Real Shaving Company
Simpsons Luxury
Taylor of Old Bond Street Mr. Taylor's
Truefitt & Hill 1805
Truefitt & Hill Almond
G.F. Trumper's Coconut Oil (vintage)
Williams Golden Yellow (vintage)
Yardley Gold Original

183 12,002
 08-19-2013, 06:26 PM
User Info
8 total:

Martin de Candre
Penhaligon's - English Fern (tallow)
Czech & Speake - Oxford and Cambridge
Mike's - Hungarian Lavender
Jabonman - Lavender, Cipres, Bergamot
Cella
Jabonman - Ylang Ylang, Patchuli, Orange
Barrister & Mann - Seville

15 222
 08-19-2013, 07:27 PM
User Info
6 creams and 70 soaps. I use up about two products per year. Im only 30 so 38 years puts me in good shape. that and I hope to pass this on to future kids.

8 118
 08-19-2013, 08:18 PM
User Info
I have too many and I'm in the middle of the extremely slow process of removing some from my cabinet by attrition. That has taught me how many years of soaps I really have.

I'm currently using a few soaps that I don't intend to replace any time soon. After that I'll do the same with some creams. In the case of 2 products it's because their performance was sub-par, but the ones I'm working on now, it's simply because I have other products I'd rather give space to in my cabinet. Some of the products I'm using up are really excellent; some are junk. For instance, handcrafted croap samples sent to me. Excellent stuff, but unless I make my own I'm not likely to see any more. Then there's Williams which finished it's life in the shower.

To prevent boredom when using the few products that I'm using up, I have a handful of them, but every Sunday I deal myself a wildcard. Any product in the cabinet is available to me. That's allowed me to stay with the program since last Oct'/Nov'. Otherwise I'd have quit out of boredom long ago.

Eventually I'll winnow down the list and have only those products that I truly enjoy. Which are very many BTW, not just a handful. I get bored easily unless I consider the product to really be the best of it's type.

Used up so far:

>Cirmes Glycerine, it was OK, just OK. If the puck had been softer for easier loading I probably wouldn't have used it up in the shower.
>BurmaShave, nice soap, but I'll leave what exists to those who like it more than I do.
>Williams, a pox on Williams until it's reformulated for the better. I couldn't tolerate it as a shave soap any longer and it finished life in the shower.

Soon to be used up:

>VdH, I have no animosity toward VdH but there are other things I like better and until I get more room in the cabinet it's out.
>Van der Williams, believe it or not this is quite good, but I simply have no room for it in my cabinet at this time.
>handcrafted croaps, I'll probably add them to the tub of Cella to raise the performance of that product. (time passes) It's done; I already regret doing that to such high quality handcrafted croaps. The Cella should probably be moved into the "to be used up" lineup. (time passes) Again, done.

32 6,308
 08-19-2013, 08:23 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I have accumulated many of the different scents offered by Mike's, Jabonman, and Mystic Water. These 3 brands comprise 95% of my shave soap collection. The remaining soaps consist of a random assortment of other artisans' offerings i.e. Barrister&Mann, PannaCrema, Wm.Neumann.

102 17,662
 08-19-2013, 10:34 PM
User Info
This is an ever changing list. I try to thin out and then find a ton of stuff that I just have to try and the cycle repeats its self.

Soaps:

Colgate
Daisy Mountain Naturals Spiced Mahogany
De Vergulde Hand Extra Fris
eShave Linden
Ginger's Garden Black Raspberry Vanilla
Godrej Shaving Round
Kell's Original Ultra Aloe Energy
Kell's Original Ultra Aloe Juniper Sage
Kell's Original Ultra Aloe Vanilla Bean
L'Occitane Cade
Mama Bear Toasted Coconut
Ogallala Bay Rum, Limes, and Peppercorns
Ogallala Bay Rum Sage and Cedar
Pre De Provence
Proraso White
Provence Sante Green Tea
Pyrate Cove Coconut
Pyrate Cove Cucumber Mellon
RazoRock Cumba Cheech
RazoRock Napoleon's Violet
RazoRock Nonno Michelino
Stirling Costal
TFS Bergamotto Neroli
TSD Lemons and Figs Lanolin
VDH Deluxe
VDH Glycerin
VDH Luxury Scented
VDH Select
Vitos Extra Super

Creams:

The Art of Shaving Ocean Kelp
The Body Shop Maca Root
C.O. Bigelow
eShave White Tea
Every Man Jack Brush/Brushless Cedarwood
Every Man Jack Sensitive
Ikar Tornado
Karo Classic
Kiss My Face Cool Mint
Kiss My Face Green Tea and Bamboo
Kiss My Face Key Lime
Kiss My Face Pomegranate Grapefruit
Local Pig Cream
Musgo Real Basil Lime
TOBS Lavender
TOBS Rose

My tapatalk-fu is strong.

6 327
 08-20-2013, 02:31 AM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
Soaps: Stirling, Harris, MWF. Creams: Speick. That's it, I'm good to go.

16 541
 08-20-2013, 04:57 AM
User Info
56 full size soaps & creams, not counting duplicates.

23 samples

The worst part of my SSAD/SCAD is over. Now I only acquire more if I find a smokin' deal.

0 836
 08-20-2013, 05:13 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(08-19-2013, 01:45 PM)PanchoVilla Wrote: I'll have to admit, I shelve a ton of different soaps and creams. I've tried quite a few, but I'm down to just my favorite. I may pull one or another out every month or so, but there are only 3 to 4 anymore. The same goes for my blades, cigars, whisky... ,etc.

I'm not looking for any names, just numbers. I used to try many different items and have just found a few that I enjoy most often.

Anybody else getting to this 'older fart stage'?

My brother, I am far past this "older fart stage".

4 soaps
1 cream

I knew the rest "the young guns" could not just list a number. Biggrin

173 23,492