08-19-2013, 07:21 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
Just curious what everyone's opinions are on the sharpest blades you've tried...it would be great to only choose blades that are still in production, but of course feel free to mention the classics that may still be out there somewhereAngel Also let's rule out opinions on preference, or other variables like smoothness and longevity...JUST PLAIN OL' SHARPEST BLADESCool

1) Kai
2) Feather (yellow or black packs)
3) Polsilver Super Iridium
4) Bolzano
5) Gillette Super Plat. black 7'o clock

4 792
 08-19-2013, 07:27 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
1. Feather Yellow
2. Polsilver Iridium
3. Personna Med Prep
4. Gillette 7 O'Clock Blue

I don't have a 5th as I've used nothing sharper than the above.

173 23,540
 08-19-2013, 07:41 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
1. Feather
2. Kai
3. Perma-Sharp Super.
4. Gillette 7' O Clock Yellow
5. Super Iridium

45 3,955
 08-19-2013, 08:06 PM
User Info
i am assuming you are referring to DE (double-edge) blades, correct? Also, i find it a bit challenging saying one is sharper than another and this order doesn't necessarily connote the degree of sharpness.

* Feathers
* Super Iridiums
* Gillette Blacks
* Gillette Yellows
* Perma Sharp Supers

Personally, i don't like the Feathers, nor the Gillette Blacks as i get too many weepers with them.
My best blades are Super Iridiums, Perma Sharp Supers and vintage Wilkinson Swords. Blush

75 20,883
 08-19-2013, 08:07 PM
User Info
1.Feather
2.Feather
3.Feather
4.Feather
5.Polsilver

1 622
 08-19-2013, 09:10 PM
User Info
I can only definitively rate the #1 DE blade.

1. feather

Now the water begins to get murky as to order for me.

7 O'Clock of any flavor, YMMV as to flavor (look for "made in St.Petersburg to be certain). My favs are the Yellows.
Iridiums in any packaging
Med Preps
Perma-Sharp

The 2nd group above remain sharp for much longer IMO.

Since the world is bigger than DE and you didn't specify...

In SE, the list of available blades is much smaller and despite that I haven't used them all since I found what works for me early on. (courtesy of my DE blade testing)

I find Feathers and GEM SS ptfe about the same for the first few shaves. GEM SS ptfe stay sharp and useable longer than the Feathers by 50% - 100% additional. Other gents suggest that GEM carbon steel blades are sharper than my picks. I've found that with proper care that even the carbon steel GEMs remain sharp for as long as the SS GEMs.

In my DE testing I found that the vintage SS blades I used were uniformly very sharp as compared to modern blades. Were they better than todays best blades? No. But it was by far easier to find a really sharp blade among the vintage than among todays. (far less testing to hit paydirt IMO) That could be for a few reasons. Note that I specify Stainless blades. Vintage carbon steel blades long ago sacrificed their sharpness to humidity. I don't care what the packaging looks like.

32 6,309
 08-19-2013, 10:00 PM
User Info
I haven't tried them all and I currently use the Feather. But, among the "Murky Blades" I did find the Iridium/Polsilver to be the smoothest. Many of the lesser blades seem to have a rougher leading edge that just plain old sucks.

So, after using 7 or 8 of these blades that are rough and discovering the Iridium I stayed with that for almost 2 years.

I tried the Feather at this point and having my routine perfected I discovered the Feather, being the sharpest provided the best shave.

Its definitely a trade off though. The Feather being so sharp will get dull after one or two shaves.

The Polsilver will provide good longevity but it will never shave as nice as a Fresh Feather.

Value or the Sharpest, they are approximately the same price.

If you have a perfect beard that grows out of your skin nice and straight and your beard isn't very heavy,,... It may not matter much.

But if you are truly interested in "The Best", than Polsilver or Feather are the first two to try.

Get a few packs of each. At least you will have tried the best and will have set the bar for which all the others can be judged.

1 622
 08-19-2013, 10:00 PM
User Info
I have a slightly different take on this one.

1) Bolzano Superinox Inossidabile
2) Feather Hi Stainless
3) SuperMax Titanium
4) Croma Diamant
5) Sharp Hi Chromium

I found Bolzanos to be so sharp as to be almost unusable. Feather and SuperMax Titaniums I found to perform nearly identically, with Feathers being just a little sharper (but Titaniums are far less expensive, last longer, and are slightly smoother). Croma and Sharp are both very similar in terms of sharpness with a slight edge (no pun intended) going to Croma. I have yet to try Kai, so I can't speak to them.

My tapatalk-fu is strong.

6 327
 08-20-2013, 03:01 AM
User Info
- Feathers
- Super Iridiums
- Silver Blues
- Gillette Yellows
- Bolzanos

Having said that, I don't like a number of these. Sharp and smooth is my criteria, and the winners there are:

- Silver Blue
- Super Iridiums

47 1,112
 08-20-2013, 04:58 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
Interesting. I feel unable to nominate a "sharpest blade". All of the usual suspects of top blades like Feather, Iridium, Black and Blue Gillettes or Ladas are sharp. They cut the beard like a hot knife is cutting through butter. So I can't decide which one is sharper than the other.

Of course I notice when a blade isn't sharp any longer, when it starts to tug and pull. And of course I like some blade more than another when it comes to an overall estimation. Feathers aren't for me, I simply don't like them. I much prefer Gillette Blues, Blacks, Silver Blues and Iridium Supers. They are sharp, but smoother and have more stamina than Feathers.

But I cannot say which is the sharpest blade, when they come fresh out of the package.

0 229
 08-20-2013, 08:15 PM
User Info
(08-20-2013, 04:58 AM)Elbe Wrote: Interesting. I feel unable to nominate a "sharpest blade". All of the usual suspects of top blades like Feather, Iridium, Black and Blue Gillettes or Ladas are sharp. They cut the beard like a hot knife is cutting through butter. So I can't decide which one is sharper than the other.

Of course I notice when a blade isn't sharp any longer, when it starts to tug and pull. And of course I like some blade more than another when it comes to an overall estimation. Feathers aren't for me, I simply don't like them. I much prefer Gillette Blues, Blacks, Silver Blues and Iridium Supers. They are sharp, but smoother and have more stamina than Feathers.

But I cannot say which is the sharpest blade, when they come fresh out of the package.

Well said.

2 87
 08-20-2013, 10:34 PM
User Info
Feather
Kai
Gillette Blacks

I rotate with the above three, and don't see a need to use others.

Unless of course, there's smoother. I have Polsilver and Perma-Sharp Super samples. Maybe I'll add these to the mix to have my top five. Tongue

1 56
 08-27-2013, 10:34 AM
  • Killiam
  • Malmö, Sweden
User Info
Feather
Personna Medical Prep
Iridium Super
Polsilver Super Iridium
Perma-sharp

Feathers may be the sharpest blade in the bunch but I've never cared for them. They provide an incredible close but uncomfortable first shave and last less that 2 shaves.

0 480
 08-29-2013, 05:53 AM
User Info
Feather
Kai
Super Iridium
Perma-Sharp Super
Polsilver Super Iridum

Polsilver Stainless and Personna Lab/Med not far behind.

0 123
 08-30-2013, 03:20 PM
User Info
(08-27-2013, 10:34 AM)Killiam Wrote: Feathers may be the sharpest blade in the bunch but I've never cared for them. They provide an incredible close but uncomfortable first shave and last less that 2 shaves.

+1 My thoughts exactly on the Feather now. Thanks to Gary's (brothers) recommendation, I am a new convert to Personna Med Preps!

1 56
 08-31-2013, 07:41 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I absolutely hate Feathers. They compromise too much in other areas for sharpness. After three passes the difference in sharpness is nill with the next blade, then smoothness becomes the most important factor. It's like if Feather rates a 5 in sharpness and a 3 in smoothness and another blade rate a 4 in each, although they both score an 8, take the other blade. end of ramble. (although in fact I'd rate the Feathers about a 1 or a 2 in smoothness, and durability? I can't get two shaves from a Feather)

6 2,006
 08-31-2013, 08:43 AM
User Info
(08-31-2013, 07:41 AM)Mouser Wrote: I absolutely hate Feathers. They compromise too much in other areas for sharpness. After three passes the difference in sharpness is nill with the next blade, then smoothness becomes the most important factor. It's like if Feather rates a 5 in sharpness and a 3 in smoothness and another blade rate a 4 in each, although they both score an 8, take the other blade. end of ramble. (although in fact I'd rate the Feathers about a 1 or a 2 in smoothness, and durability? I can't get two shaves from a Feather)

Signs011

1 56
 09-15-2013, 07:04 PM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
Feathers.
I have med preps, kai blades, si's, various gillettes, Vostocks...all collecting dust on the shelf.

7 321
 09-17-2013, 08:04 PM
User Info
You know, I tried some kai blades recently. They are certainly sharp, but my word did they degrade quickly. I think I only got 2.5 good shaves out of each blade. Wish they had a bit more longevity.

2 87
 09-20-2013, 02:53 AM
User Info
Feathers
Personna Lab
Super-Max Titanium
Perma-Sharp
Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum

15 383