08-20-2013, 03:56 PM
User Info
I gave my new Rooney 2XL 2-Band a trial run today.

I have been using a TGN 28 2-Band with a 58mm loft and they seem to be opposites when it comes to lathering.

The TGN gets about 45 seconds of loading and traps a lot of water. The lather has never been super thick.

The Rooney actually made a concave dip in the top of my soap but carries less water and I ended up with lather that was too thick and I ended up adding a lot of water.

I assume I need less product and more water with the Rooney but any tips would be much appreciated.

Its my first brush with some backbone!

The bristles don't splay apart and the tips give you the feeling that the knot is one piece. I've seen people use the term "Gel Tips" and that was a pretty good way to describe the feel of this brush.

I noticed the tips were curling when rinsing in warm water so I finished the rinse with cold water and the tips are drying straight.

1 622
 08-20-2013, 07:03 PM
User Info
How long did you load the 2XL?
You could just add more water while face-lathering or reduce the amount of time you are loading the soap. Is it a new 2XL? It should soften a bit, but not much. What are the knots dimensions? They are great brushes with a lot of backbone depending on the loft. You could also apply a bit more pressure to the brush while face-lathering to open the knot a bit more. Any pics of the brush?
Good luck with a magnificent brush! Biggrin

75 20,883
 08-20-2013, 11:34 PM
User Info
New
[Image: d0G2H3E.jpg]

[Image: oDqVwZX.jpg]

[Image: j9dTV89.jpg]

After The First Lather w/Arlington Soap
[Image: 1CVStHD.jpg]

[Image: Lr8378L.jpg]

(08-20-2013, 07:03 PM)celestino Wrote: How long did you load the 2XL?
You could just add more water while face-lathering or reduce the amount of time you are loading the soap. Is it a new 2XL? It should soften a bit, but not much. What are the knots dimensions? They are great brushes with a lot of backbone depending on the loft. You could also apply a bit more pressure to the brush while face-lathering to open the knot a bit more. Any pics of the brush?
Good luck with a magnificent brush! Biggrin

TOO LONG!!! Biggrin

I think im going to do what you are recommending and use less soap and lots of water this time.

Yeah its a new one. Vintage Blades indicates the knot is 28mm x 48mm.

I have never seen a brush scrape away at the soap like this. Thats probably why I ended up with too much soap on the brush.

Moderator Edit: images have been resized.

1 622
 08-20-2013, 11:44 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
There is no such thing as too much soap Biggrin
Keep adding water and you'll dial it in soon enough.
Sexy looking beast though Heart

88 4,233
 08-21-2013, 12:00 AM
User Info
(08-20-2013, 11:44 PM)beartrap Wrote: There is no such thing as too much soap Biggrin
Keep adding water and you'll dial it in soon enough.
Sexy looking beast though Heart

Unnecessary Soap? I could have shaved 4 or 5 people after loading that thing last night. Thumbup

1 622
 08-21-2013, 09:58 PM
User Info
A lot less soap and more water worked like a charm!

1 622
 08-22-2013, 01:51 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I almost got that brush but 28mm is way too big for me so I got the next size down in bone. At 26mm it's bigger than I'd want but it's nonetheless the best brush I have, by far.

5 2,006
 08-22-2013, 06:42 AM
User Info
(08-22-2013, 01:51 AM)Mouser Wrote: I almost got that brush but 28mm is way too big for me so I got the next size down in bone. At 26mm it's bigger than I'd want but it's nonetheless the best brush I have, by far.

I would have done the same thing if I were not completely hung up on the Tortoise.

I almost went with a Chubby II in best but I really wanted a 2-band brush with a fan shape and my Wife said "its only $60 more" and so that was that. Biggrin

Man this thing makes lather from soap in seconds.

1 622
 08-22-2013, 07:34 AM
User Info
I'm sure you will eventually get the measure of your new brush, it's just a case of it works differently to your old brush.

5 1,805
 08-24-2013, 08:47 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(08-22-2013, 06:42 AM)olblueyez Wrote:
(08-22-2013, 01:51 AM)Mouser Wrote: I almost got that brush but 28mm is way too big for me so I got the next size down in bone. At 26mm it's bigger than I'd want but it's nonetheless the best brush I have, by far.

I would have done the same thing if I were not completely hung up on the Tortoise.

I almost went with a Chubby II in best but I really wanted a 2-band brush with a fan shape and my Wife said "its only $60 more" and so that was that. Biggrin

I was hung up on the tortoise too, but I realized I wouldn't be happy with it in the long run so I actually began a two week long process of making myself fall as much in love with the bone as the tortoise. It worked, bought the better size for me and no regrets on the color. It's why I was so great in sales......even I'm not immune to my persuasive powers.

5 2,006
 08-24-2013, 09:40 AM
User Info

* No pics of your new brush?Biggrin

75 20,883
 08-24-2013, 11:32 AM
User Info
(08-24-2013, 08:47 AM)Mouser Wrote:
(08-22-2013, 06:42 AM)olblueyez Wrote:

I was hung up on the tortoise too, but I realized I wouldn't be happy with it in the long run so I actually began a two week long process of making myself fall as much in love with the bone as the tortoise. It worked, bought the better size for me and no regrets on the color. It's why I was so great in sales......even I'm not immune to my persuasive powers.

This is my second brush with a dark colored handle. One advantage to the ivory color is you can take a picture for shave of the day without cleaning the soap residue from the handle. The darker colors are a PITA to keep nice looking. Especially this one with the 2 rings.

1 622
 08-25-2013, 02:02 AM
User Info
I hit a cake of Bay Rum soap I bought from Phil some years back.

I have only used this soap a few times because I was never able to get a good lather from it.

The Rooney turned that Bay Rum soap into a pile of lather that looked as though it had been sprayed out of a can!

Best pile of lather I have ever created.

Not even my SOC boar came close.

And it was quick too!

The 2XL is a soap killer. Smile

1 622
 08-25-2013, 06:54 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
What a beautiful brush. I love the handle.

100 12,437
 08-25-2013, 08:05 AM
User Info
Thanks!

It does look nicer in person. The curves on the handle are perfect and the polish is great.

I had a bit of trouble makin it work at first. Trying to work it like my old floppy TGN but I have the hang of it now.

I was lookin for a Manchurian Simpsons but after looking around the Rooney's seemed like a better way to go for me.

The knot had to be big. 2-3 passes after hitting the soap once and face lathering? Big knot!

I also just sold my psychedelic Rooney and I was impressed with how nice that brush was so,,...

1 622