08-20-2013, 05:33 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I've been bitten by another crazy AD, I want to restore a brush Confused
I have a bunch of old handles and I'll pick one to restore.
I've just spent 2 hours reading various threads on TGN knots, comparing them to the ones I know. I am still lost obviously, please chime in with your opinion on what each knot is like. So far I got:

Finest feels like Rooney but not as good flow through.
SIlvertip is prickly - NOT going to work for me as I hate these kinds of brushes.
Silvertip Grade A is very soft like Savile Row - I think this is what I want.

Now, what's up with HX, HMW, Finest 2???

http://www.thegoldennib.com

88 4,233
 08-20-2013, 06:50 PM
User Info
Finest 2 Band is my favorite TGN knot, but I suppose it can be considered a bit prickly.

I'll have to look through my old orders; I bought one knot (silvertip of some grade) that was gel tipped. One of the softest wet brushes I have encountered to this day. Flow through wasn't so great though...

2 87
 08-20-2013, 06:53 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(08-20-2013, 06:50 PM)bojangles Wrote: Finest 2 Band is my favorite TGN knot, but I suppose it can be considered a bit prickly.

I'll have to look through my old orders; I bought one knot (silvertip of some grade) that was gel tipped. One of the softest wet brushes I have encountered to this day. Flow through wasn't so great though...

I'd like more info on that knot please, size too if you could find it Smile

88 4,233
 08-20-2013, 07:01 PM
User Info
I have a Finest and a 24mm Nylon. The nylon is slick and soft. The Finest is one of my favorites. Soft tips but nice backbone. Mine is a fan shaped knot so flow through is great.

6 1,224
 08-20-2013, 07:08 PM
User Info
Steve, i have only tried the 2-band Finest. i had a 28 X 50mm knot is one of my handles and it was extremely soft with not a great deal of backbone. The backbone was all right, but compared to my WSP 2-band Stubby knots and my M&F 2XL, there is just no comparison! The larger the knot you get with the 2-band Finest, the more backbone you are going to get and also if you lower the loft. i wouldn't go with anything lower than 50mm, especially, if you are getting anything smaller than a 26mm knot.
i haven't tried the other hairs, but i have heard from many that the 2-band Finests have the most backbone, as far as i know.
Good luck!

75 20,883
 08-20-2013, 07:08 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
If you go with TGN, two band finest is the way to go. Strong backbone, soft tips, no scritch. In particular I am partial to 22mm XH fan shape. I have done probably five or six brushes with this knot and each and every one of them came out fantastic. Something about the size and density of this one that just works really well. I have also used 22mm HX bulb and that is fine as well, but I do prefer the fan shape. A 22mm knot will make a 24mm brush (approximately) and if you set the loft around 48mm you can not go wrong. So far I have used TGN silvertip, two bad finest and boar (Omega, really). All are good, but I did not care fro the silvertip. Too floppy, nothing like Simpson best. TGN Finest, on the other hand can do no wrong, it seems. I have made the following sizes:

16mm bulb (made an 18mm brush)
18mm bulb (made a 20mm brush)
20mm XH fan (made a 22mm brush)
20mm XH bulb (made a 22mm brush)
22mm XH fan (made a 24mm brush)

These and two small Simpsons (Wee Scot and Case) are my only badgers. I simply can not imagine paying big bucks for a badger brush after I made these, all for way under $40 each. The 22mm knot makes a brush that can rival the chubby easily. 20mm and larger knots are designated as XH, which means extra hair, I guess and they do have extra density. My 16mm and 18mm knotted brushes are great also, but the XH ones are just super dense and soft. Highly recommend.

25 1,705
 08-20-2013, 07:14 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
So, every larger knot is XH knot even if it says nothing?

88 4,233
 08-20-2013, 07:35 PM
User Info
(08-20-2013, 07:14 PM)beartrap Wrote: So, every larger knot is XH knot even if it says nothing?

* Steve, i can't help you, there, but the 2-band Finest are very dense. They are a great buy to experiment with for the price!

75 20,883
 08-20-2013, 07:36 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Got it, thanks. What about Finest v2? Anyone try it yet?

88 4,233
 08-21-2013, 12:32 AM
  • pc4406
  • Vintage Shearer
  • San Francisco
User Info
I have made 4 brushes with Finest F-2, 22/50. I think they are terrific. Really soft tip, nice backbone and good flow through. They feel great on my face and lather easily and well. I face lather exclusively and use creams. I wish they had a bit more density, but for the money they can't be beat, IMHO. I also have a number of expensive big name brushes, but I really like the F-2 knots.

58 234
 08-21-2013, 06:48 AM
User Info
(08-20-2013, 06:53 PM)beartrap Wrote: I'd like more info on that knot please, size too if you could find it Smile

So after hunting through all my orders, I found it.

It was a Silvertip Grade A (listed under their Premium Silvertip heading), 18mm.

I ordered it over a year ago, so obviously getting a similar one is a total crapshoot.

I PIFd it to my buddy, and he still claims it as his favorite brush - perfect little travel size, but he uses it daily.

2 87
 08-21-2013, 08:48 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
If you are not sure if the knot is XH call TGN. They are very helpful in identifying what they have in stock. Once I needed a couple of 22mm finest fan and they indicated sold out on the website, but after calling and speaking with Vanessa (I think), she found two knots from Tony's personal stash to sell me so I didn't have to wait two weeks for the new batch to arrive. In the past the 20mm and up were XH and the 18mm and 16mm were not. I have every size finest knot they sell from 16mm to 22mm and I can vouch for quality on all of them, but the 16mm and 18mm are definitely less dense than the 20mm and 22mm. As I said before, IMO, the 22mm finest XH Fan makes a brush that can rival $200 units from prestigious brands (not knocking those brands, I love them). At 47mm-48mm loft these knots are just a face lathing heaven. Be aware, that there is a short break in period on these badgers. It's nothing like boar, but they do come into their own after about a week of use. It's more the hair settles in and arranges itself after being set than the tips splitting, etc. like in the boar. After I made my first TGN finest brush I thought it was too dense and too soft (!!!), almost spongy feeling, but after a week of solid use it opened up and became one of the best brushes and certainly one of my favorite badgers.

I have no experience with the new grade of two band TGN has, but I trust it's good. You didn't say what your goals are for this brush. Face lathering, bowl lathering, general purpose do-all, etc. For face lathering you simply can not beat 22mm two band finest XH Fan. It is just amazing. If you have a handle that will open up to 24mm, you will be able to create an awesome brush with that.

Keep us posted!

--
Vladimir

25 1,705
 08-21-2013, 09:00 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Thanks Vlad, very helpful info. In short, I have no goals Confused
I just want to do one for the sake of doing it. I am happy with the brushes I have and I'll soon get a Rudy Vey custom in TGN Finest. I've asked Rudy the same question and he didn't know how F2 is either.
My thoughts, since I have one Finest coming soon and I really don't care what the other brush will be used for, I want to pick something different, either Grade A or Finest 2. Good idea?

88 4,233
 08-21-2013, 09:14 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(08-21-2013, 09:00 AM)beartrap Wrote: Thanks Vlad, very helpful info. In short, I have no goals Confused
I just want to do one for the sake of doing it. I am happy with the brushes I have and I'll soon get a Rudy Vey custom in TGN Finest. I've asked Rudy the same question and he didn't know how F2 is either.
My thoughts, since I have one Finest coming soon and I really don't care what the other brush will be used for, I want to pick something different, either Grade A or Finest 2. Good idea?

Sounds good. I would give non-two band a pass. I have tried one of their top grades (it could have been a Grad A) and was not impressed. For me Simpson best is the touchstone of the non-two band badger brushes and TGN just did not measure up and was pretty pricey. Their two band offerings have been top notch, though and so I would recommend trying the new Finest they have. If you have an RV in TGN finest coming you should be all set.

It's still good to have a goal for what you want the brush to be like. Do you want a short loft stiff and dense one or a looser and softer floppier one? Once you get the knot you will have to make those decision anyway. So it's good to have a vision beforehand. I make my brushes with a vision of Simpson face lathering brush. Dense, short, soft in the tips and great flow-through. I have not always achieved those goals, but I still got an excellent brush with personality of its own every time.

Good luck and keep us posted. Don't hesitate to ask questions about setting the knot when you get it.

--
Vladimir

25 1,705
 08-21-2013, 09:22 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
My experience with TGN is thus:

The Finest knots are superb.
I don't care for either the Silvertip or the SilvertipA.
The Silvertip is meh.
I have no experience with the new Finest v2.
Vanessa is a fine customer support person. feel free to call or email her.
And, lastly, I prefer bulbs over fans.

You're embarking on a fine activity, reknotting.

Good luck.

47 1,378
 08-21-2013, 10:52 AM
  • vpayne
  • Missouri
User Info
All this is in my opinion only-yours may be different:
I have had most sizes up to 30mm. I think their 2 band finest is their best knot. Last week I received their new finest-f2 26mm and returned it to them because it was too soft for me. I thought it was a nice knot, I simply prefer more push back from my brush. The tips of the f2 knot were softer than their finest two band, but only a little. The f2 hair shafts are more limber, less resilient, less backbone, etc.
Fyi, I hope this helps a little. Their 2 band finest is hard to beat.

32 362
 08-22-2013, 11:13 AM
User Info
Steve, I just ordered one of the super2 band knots . I'll let you know how it compares to the finest fan.

I just wish the super 2 band was available in the fan shape Sad

6 1,224
 08-22-2013, 11:15 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
You mean Finest 2?

88 4,233
 08-22-2013, 11:17 AM
User Info
(08-22-2013, 11:15 AM)beartrap Wrote: You mean Finest 2?

No sir this one is the Super 2 . Just a little newer not much.

6 1,224
 08-22-2013, 11:21 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Not sure which one you're talking about. Link?

88 4,233