08-22-2013, 05:56 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
Do we have any audiophiles around these forums ? I've been pretty big into headphones and what-not. Got into it trying to find the best sound for competitive online FPS gaming but fell in love with my music quality shortly afterward.

My computer 'mid-fi' setup consists of a Schiit Audio Magni/Modi small footprint DAC/AMP combo that's perfect for a computer setup! paired with a Beyer dynamic DT-770 pro for fun(big bass explosions) and a Beyer dynamic DT-880 for more precise analytic sound.

Anyway, i'm looking to get into a decent speaker setup going, and I really don't know much about speakers. I don't have to much to spend around 500-800 MAX for everything. My listening ranges a lot but mostly reggae/ska(second wave) and jazz.

If anyone has any advice, I sure would love it!

Thanks
Joshua

5 123
 08-22-2013, 08:45 AM
User Info
Joshua,
Another audiophile, here. i don't have expensive gear, but what i have, i find to be very good quality. i have a pair of the older Genesis I+. This chap used to work for the company and is still designing his own speakers. You may want to check him out:
http://www.humanspeakers.com/cgi-bin/pag...legacy.txt
i paid $120 for mine, made in the 1980s, but the quality of the sound and the bass is astounding for such a little speaker!
Are you looking for speakers for your computer or for your amplifier?
i have no idea what you are looking for, but for the price of the used speakers i have, you won't find anything comparable!
Good luck.

75 20,883
 08-22-2013, 09:58 AM
User Info
I'm not an expert or even an audiophile really, but I use a pair of Koss PortaPro headphones when playing music on my desktop computer, and I like them a lot.

184 12,003
 08-22-2013, 10:55 AM
User Info
Joshua,
Now you're talking my passion! Audio is another hobby of mine, and like safety razors can get costly really quickly.

I have been collecting, owning, and selling all forms of audio since I was 17 (now 46).

For the last several years I have owned Yamaha 2000 series components powered with a true Class A amplifier.
It is mated with a pair of Klipsch Klipschorns for the ultimate in "live" sound.

I have dabbled in tube amplification, both Vintage as well as new as they mate so well with the unforgiving horns used in Klipsch speakers.

A benefit of Vinatge tubes is that you never lose your initial inventment as there is always someone looking for tubes.
I have bought/sold Vintage Scott's,Eico's as well as newer tube amps like the Stingray and always enjoyed them immensely.

Jeff

5 337
 09-15-2013, 11:04 PM
  • Pudu
User Info
I spent a couple of very happy years with 880s till I started getting stupid with headphone audio. They are excellent cans!

For a speaker setup, one option, if you have a bit of patience and don't mind doing a bit of research, is going the vintage route. I have a 1970s Pioneer receiver which I absolutely adore - it sounds every bit as good as my higher end headphone amps. Most vintage stuff has oodles of power to drive most speakers and will double as an awesome headphone amp - especially with higher impedance cans. Are yours 300s or 600s?

I only have PSB mini speakers which sound excellent but are overpriced - however I don't have room for anything larger, I have small kids which precludes playing loud music after hours, and most importantly they were the only thing locally available. I'm much more oriented towards headphone audio, but I do stream BBC classical through my vintage iron + minis all day long.

If I had the option I would have tried Pioneer SP-BS22s for speakers. They are supposed to be a terrific deal. But again it depends on what kind of space you are trying to fill.

Those Porta-Pros are some of the best bang-for buck in portable audio.

0 33
 09-16-2013, 03:56 AM
User Info
If you're looking for a pair of amazing speakers, I'd suggest the B&W 805 Diamond. They run about $1000 each and are so worth it. I've seen them cheaper, and they have a robust used market too.

EDIT: I see that's outside your budget. When you say 'max for everything' do you mean for the pre-amp, power-amp, cables and speakers? There are a few options for this price range, but you get what you pay for. NAD is a good start for the amps.

[Image: 805-Diamond_Piano-Black-Gloss_OFF.jpg]

37 1,731
 09-16-2013, 05:18 AM
User Info
I suggest JM Labs / Focal.
Biggest bang for your buck, IMHO.

Their Chorus line products are good performers, and should easily fit the budget.

http://www.focal.com/

0 641
 09-16-2013, 01:17 PM
User Info
I was hoping there would be some vinyl talk in here...but just speakers Blush

For speakers, I'm running Arhena in 2 rooms and love them. Was sorry to see them bought out by Klipsch

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthr...p?t=225680

8 2,718
 09-16-2013, 06:19 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Years ago I picked up a Marantz 2270 receiver on yard sale for $10! I am not kidding. The dial lights were blown, but it was in perfect shape otherwise. If anyone is unfamiliar, this is a 70's integrated receiver that has a 70 watt per channel power amp section. This is REAL 70 watts, not peak. This thing can pull 70 watts for hours on end. That is enough power to drive almost any pair of speakers out there. I replaced most capacitors in this thing and it sounds as sweet as can be. A cool feature it has is the power amp can be disconnected from the rest of the system via jumpers on the back. Pull the jumpers and you have inputs to just the 70 watt power amp. This is how I use this unit. I run all my audio through a good quality preamp (Adcom GFP-565) and run its output to the power stage of the Marantz. Incidentally, I can still use the Marantz tuner, which is excellent by running the pre-outs from Marantz to the Adcom's inputs. It all works beautifully. Unfortunately, the only speakers I have are JM lab entry level model, which are good, but nothing to write home about. Still, they are driven very well and sound pretty good. I also suggest looking at vintage speakers as I am doing now. But a good power amp is key in driving good quality speakers. If you do research and buy vintage you can probably fit it all in your budget. It will be tough, though as a good pair of speakers is easily twice your budget. A pair of good vintage speakers could really make you happy for not that much. Look in thrift stores. Often you can find ones with torn or suspension on drivers. Those can typically be restored for about $50. If the speaker is worth saing sometimes these can be some of the best deals.

25 1,705
 09-16-2013, 08:40 PM
  • Pudu
User Info
$10 is awesome -nice catch! The 70s Marantz are sweet beasts - warm and lush. I listened to a few before deciding that I slightly prefer the Pioneer sound. I would love to find some good vintage speakers at some point - it would seem that, like the receivers, you can get best bang for buck that way.

All the old receivers have as much power as most people would need. My 980 does 80 watts per channel, and it's big brother the SX-1980 does 270 watts per channel. And more importantly they sound really really good.

It's a joy having something this old, this good looking, which still performs as well as new gear. The 70's was the sweet spot for vintage gear. There was a wattage war going on between the manufacturers at the time and these things are built like tanks. Don't get sucked into the going after the top of the line models because the collectors push the price of those past ridiculous. Get a middle level model and you get 99% of the sound quality and all the power you need for a fraction of the price. Plus if you are patient and keep your eyes open, you can find absolute steals like vferdman did.

[Image: 2heizph.jpg]

And, who doesn't love VU meters?

(apologies for the crap photo)

0 33
 09-17-2013, 01:22 PM
User Info
(09-16-2013, 08:40 PM)Pudu Wrote: And, who doesn't love VU meters?

crazy people Wink

not my image, but this is my exact receiver in exact shape (near mint exterior).

I still have to find a good place in the home for it, but i'm getting close and it may need a minor cleaning inside.

what a looker and weighs about 70lbs

[Image: post-13965-003435500%201290520015.jpg]

8 2,718
 09-17-2013, 06:46 PM
  • Pudu
User Info
Awesome!

Yes, you have to think of these as furniture as well as audio equipment.

0 33
 09-18-2013, 05:35 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Well, here is my piece of furniture.

[Image: 6g16be3.jpg]

[Image: FBAzqdP.jpg]

25 1,705
 09-18-2013, 06:49 PM
User Info
Those Marantzs are wonderful amplifiers. I had a 2275 and it was really sweet.
I have a Sansui AU-7500 and a Sherwood S-5000 II tube amp.
Lovely sound.

75 20,883
 09-18-2013, 07:48 PM
  • Pudu
User Info
Gorgeous 2270.

Also, we need a moneyshot of the S-5000's backend aglow. I'd love to hear how that guy sounds - I'm a tube person when it comes to audio.

0 33
 09-19-2013, 02:55 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
Pudu: my headphones run all over the place with impedance, right now I have Grado RS1's (32ohm) Beyer Dynamic DT880 premium (600ohm) Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro (80 ohm) and Sennheiser 600 (300 ohm) although most of these will be going out the door except the RS1's.
I have absolutely NO problems with 70's vintage infact it's what i wanted in the first place really. (I still want to listen to a pair of vintage grey wall AKG K500's!) I just dont know which vintage receivers to look at!

yohannrjm: I did say max $500-600, however I wouldn't mind putting together *pieces* as long as i can get a decent start around the 500-600 mark and add on later, if that makes any sense.

Bruce: Vinyl is my main driving point for this setup! Not that I find anything wrong with CD's as I grew up in that era. But after listening to some Vinyl there is def/ a difference!

And i will look into the pioneer and focal speakers! thanks for all the reply's and sorry I haven't responded. Life has been busy lately!

Joshua

5 123
 09-19-2013, 04:54 AM
  • Pudu
User Info
Hey Joshua,

The only reason I asked about the impedance is because most vintage headphone jacks are derived from the speaker taps and have a lot of gain for modern day headphones. However, I actually prefer my Pioneer with my 25ohm Denons over my other cans which go up from there to 600 like you.

Marantz tends to have a lush, warm sound, Sansui neutral and uncoloured, and Pioneer are in between. It comes down to personal preference (and the differences are not huge) and more importantly availability.

Good ones to look out for :

Sansui 8080, 9090*
Marantz 2245, 2265b 2270, 2275b, 2285, 2280, 2325*, 2600*
Pioneer SX-950,980, 1010 (lush), 1250*,1280*, 1980*

*The top of the line models go for stupid prices so I recommend sticking with something more pedestrian.

Audiokarma is probably the best source of info.

0 33
 09-19-2013, 06:10 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
How about vintage Kenwood, KENWOOD KR-2400 ?

5 123
 09-19-2013, 06:19 AM
  • Pudu
User Info
I know nothing about Kenwood stuff. Confused

If it's close by go have a listen to it. Anything you go look at do a couple of things:
1- listen to it
2- twiddle the knobs to see if they are in desperate need of De-oxidizing - which is fairly easy to.
3- inspect the capacitors for signs of bulging/leaking

Personally I would never take a chance on shipping one sight unseen - not least because these things are so damn heavy shipping makes it completely not worth the money.

Edit: By the way, how do you like the Magni-Modi setup?

0 33
 09-19-2013, 06:26 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
It's a great little setup(very small footprint.) Now i wont go as far as to say that the Modi(DAC) as anything like the Bifrost, however the Magni(amp) was very similar in sound to the asgard, which is probably the reason they had to release the asgard 2. because the Magni was just THAT good.

And as for the kenwood, its 'close ish' its across the other side of the state, but my brother lives there and could pick it up.

5 123