08-22-2013, 11:59 AM
  • gclyn
  • Markham, Ontario, Canada
User Info
Hi all, I just got a Gillette Super Speed Blue tip, C-2 code, from a friend. After soaking and cleaning in soap and warm water, then cleaning with 70% isopropyl alcohol, I noticed these spots/markings at the end of the handle:

[Image: WfVYTLP.jpg]

[Image: Wsgmmx0.jpg]

Does anyone know how to get rid of them? Would Flitz work?

Thanks

0 26
 08-22-2013, 12:05 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Give it a shot. It is hard to say what it is.

I also notice that your end caps are brass colored. I had not notice that on my vintage Gillettes ... well the newer ones.

I am going to have to go back and look at them again.

1 819
 08-22-2013, 12:07 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I have had good results with MAAS...apply and polish off....however sometimes the plating is gone and you can make it look better but it won,t restore to "like new"....Flitz is ok...MAAS is better.

6 1,913
 08-22-2013, 01:21 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
+1 on Maas or Flitz, the handle on that razor is aluminum.

2 505
 08-22-2013, 02:12 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(08-22-2013, 12:07 PM)Harvey Wrote: I have had good results with MAAS...apply and polish off....however sometimes the plating is gone and you can make it look better but it won,t restore to "like new"....Flitz is ok...MAAS is better.

+1 on MAAS. I am an asthmatic and cannot use Flitz, even in an open air environment, without having problems with breathing. I have no such problems with MAAS. Of course, not everyone will be so affected but why take the chance?

2 11,211
 08-23-2013, 07:11 PM
  • gclyn
User Info
(08-22-2013, 12:05 PM)Grumpy Wrote: Give it a shot. It is hard to say what it is.

I also notice that your end caps are brass colored. I had not notice that on my vintage Gillettes ... well the newer ones.

Grumpy, my apologies. The end caps are not brass, it's just the reflection of the lights above.

Hi everyone. Thanks for the suggestions. I only had Flitz around the house. I applied it and used a microfibre cloth to polish. Here is the result with only two passes:

[Image: 4m0dMCu.jpg] [Image: Y7LDnpp.jpg]

I need to to some more touch up polishing to get it just right.

0 26
 08-23-2013, 08:06 PM
User Info
Chris, congratulations on the cleaning and the razor looks very nice!Biggrin

75 20,883
 08-23-2013, 08:46 PM
  • gclyn
User Info
(08-23-2013, 08:06 PM)celestino Wrote: Chris, congratulations on the cleaning and the razor looks very nice!Biggrin

Thanks celstino, I still need to refine the look with some more elbow grease, but it looks pretty good in natural light. The camera flash really reveals any tiny marks or flaws in my polishing technique.

0 26
 08-24-2013, 03:42 AM
User Info
(08-23-2013, 07:11 PM)gclyn Wrote:
(08-22-2013, 12:05 PM)Grumpy Wrote: Give it a shot. It is hard to say what it is.

Grumpy, my apologies. The end caps are not brass, it's just the reflection of the lights above.

Hi everyone. Thanks for the suggestions. I only had Flitz around the house. I applied it and used a microfibre cloth to polish. Here is the result with only two passes:

[Image: 4m0dMCu.jpg] [Image: Y7LDnpp.jpg]

I need to to some more touch up polishing to get it just right.
That is amazing clean up,i thought it was permanent.

0 606
 08-24-2013, 04:32 AM
  • gclyn
User Info
Hi Alex,

Thanks, I thought it was permanent as well. I figured I had nothing to lose by using the Flitz. BTW, I think I am sharing your love for the Joris razors.

0 26