08-22-2013, 02:09 PM
User Info
Hello Gentlemen,

I must admit that currently Arlington is one of my favorite scents, citrus and green. However, the original scent MdC's performance is ridiculously good for me. I was hoping to find something that's a combination of the two, the clean crisp Arlington scent and MdC performance.

I was wondering how you guys would rate MdC Fougere's scent vs. Arlington because I noticed they both have fern notes.

Lastly, if you had the chance to try MdC original and Fougere, which one do you like better?

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. (I'm secretly hoping I don't get enabled. My itchy finger is on the SSAD trigger!) Blush

1 56
 08-22-2013, 02:16 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I don't find Arlington and MdC Fougere similar at all. I do find MdC Original is similar to MdC Fougere. So if you know what the original smells like, just add a bit of citrus and green to that.

88 4,233
 08-22-2013, 02:28 PM
User Info
(08-22-2013, 02:16 PM)beartrap Wrote: I don't find Arlington and MdC Fougere similar at all. I do find MdC Original is similar to MdC Fougere. So if you know what the original smells like, just add a bit of citrus and green to that.

Got it. Thank you Steve! That's helpful as that gives me a better idea of what to expect from MdC Fougere.

1 56
 08-22-2013, 02:40 PM
User Info
Original Scented to me is strong, raw lavender
Fougure is milder, citrus notes, fresh.
Arlington is strong citrusy and not like either MdC products.

I love all of them.

8 2,718
 08-22-2013, 03:01 PM
User Info
(08-22-2013, 02:40 PM)Bruce Wrote: Original Scented to me is strong, raw lavender
Fougure is milder, citrus notes, fresh.
Arlington is strong citrusy and not like either MdC products.

I love all of them.

Thanks Bruce! I definitely like fresh! Looks like I'm going to pull the trigger.

1 56
 09-10-2013, 04:24 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I wish there was something that was in between, scent-wise, but to be honest the MdC Fougere does not smell much like Arlington to me at all. Arlington is bright and sporty. MdC Fougere does smell like what I would expect a slight damp shaded meadow to smell like, but it is much more intense than any meadow I've ever been in, and I've been all over Europe and Asia... Houbigant Fougere Royale is about the best Fougere that I've ever had the pleasure to smell...it is light with a touch of Vanilla or Tonka Bean, Geranium, Lavender in full bloom and smells like what a damp meadow in early spring would smell like...Shady, fresh, earthy, green...with a touch of Anise and sage....Heavenly

If I were you, I'd grate up some Arlington and mash it together with the MdC original and see if that's the scent you want.

Alternatively, I've heard very good things about LA Shaving Company's Topanga Fougere, which was inspired by Houbigant Fougere Royale, although instead of Coumarin from Tonka Bean he used Vanillin to add sweetness...sounds like my kind of Fougere.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted on what you find.

JSAB - I sent you a PM about a source for Thuya Wood bowls...Don't buy that Ebay one...it's too expensive...

Matt

68 1,416
 09-10-2013, 05:04 PM
User Info
(09-10-2013, 04:24 PM)Crag Wrote: I wish there was something that was in between, scent-wise, but to be honest the MdC Fougere does not smell much like Arlington to me at all. Arlington is bright and sporty. MdC Fougere does smell like what I would expect a slight damp shaded meadow to smell like, but it is much more intense than any meadow I've ever been in, and I've been all over Europe and Asia... Houbigant Fougere Royale is about the best Fougere that I've ever had the pleasure to smell...it is light with a touch of Vanilla or Tonka Bean, Geranium, Lavender in full bloom and smells like what a damp meadow in early spring would smell like...Shady, fresh, earthy, green...with a touch of Anise and sage....Heavenly

If I were you, I'd grate up some Arlington and mash it together with the MdC original and see if that's the scent you want.

Alternatively, I've heard very good things about LA Shaving Company's Topanga Fougere, which was inspired by Houbigant Fougere Royale, although instead of Coumarin from Tonka Bean he used Vanillin to add sweetness...sounds like my kind of Fougere.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted on what you find.

JSAB - I sent you a PM about a source for Thuya Wood bowls...Don't buy that Ebay one...it's too expensive...

Matt

Thanks Matt! I'll give it a go.

1 56
 09-12-2013, 06:22 PM
User Info
hands down MDC original and Fougere as mentioned above are very similar. Arlington on the other hand is not even on the same planet as fas as I can tell...

4 179
 09-12-2013, 06:32 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
These two scents couldn't be further apart to my nose.

Call me crazy but Palmolive stick may fit the bill for what you're after.

13 599
 09-14-2013, 05:22 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I think the Arlington smells better and I prefer the original MdC over the Fougere. If I were going to grate two together, it would be the Arlington with the MdC Unscented.

173 23,508
 09-14-2013, 11:32 AM
User Info
(09-14-2013, 05:22 AM)Johnny Wrote: I think the Arlington smells better and I prefer the original MdC over the Fougere. If I were going to grate two together, it would be the Arlington with the MdC Unscented.

I agree Johnny. Arlington is still one of my favorite scents. I like it better than MdC. I'm still curious about the Fougere though as I have not experienced it yet.

1 56
 09-16-2013, 01:03 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
For me the MdC Fougere smelled like Earth, Rosemary, Lavender and Lemongrass, but it is just as sharp as Original MdC...Too much Rosemary for me...too pungent, but some love their Fougere's pungent...

I wish I could scent a fragrance with the shady spot from my Mom's Garden...I think I'd have a winner! Her Fern grows there along with some lemongrass, and Anise all under a huge oak tree (Complete with Spring white truffles)...I could sit there for hours...the English Oakmoss adds that grassy green scent along with some slight earthyness, but what I enjoy is the lemongrass and Star Anise sprigs...man!!! I wish I was perfumer!

68 1,416