08-23-2013, 07:04 AM
User Info
So my girlfriend's father gave me a Clog Pruf for my birthday.

I spent some time polishing it and generally making it look pretty while I waited for an order of SE blades to arrive.

Got them yesterday, popped a blade in, and noticed it doesn't secure the blade well at all. Bad enough that I shook it around and the blade started to fall out of the head.

Spent more time last night boiling it, trying to pick any residue out of the mechanism, etc etc.

How tightly do clog prufs hold the blade? Is there supposed to be zero play, or do they rattle ever so slightly? The top cover closes, but I can wiggle it a few millimeters - when the blade is in, it causes the blade to move ever so slightly as well. I shaved part of my hand with it and didn't cut myself, but it makes me a bit nervous to go at my neck with it like that.

Also, any other suggestions as to how I can get it super clean? Thought about soaking it in something, but I'm not sure what would dissolve the gunk inside it without harming the finish. Although, I'm not too concerned about the finish - it already has some brassing in places.

Thanks gentlemen.

2 87
 08-23-2013, 07:34 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Should be no play, held tight.

In some versions (I think) there is a spring bar located under the top cap.

I would have to pull one of my Clog Prufs to see how they are actually designed because I have not looked at them in a while.

Cleaning - Scrubbing Bubbles - Spray On, Let sit for a minute, and use a tooth brush to clean up.

Or vinegar/warm water soaking (1 to 10 or 2 to 10 ratio) for getting rid of hard water and soak for 30 minutes.

Tooth Paste and a Tooth Brush - a little abrasive.

1 819
 08-23-2013, 07:45 AM
User Info
You need to verify that the blade stops are good. The TTO mechanicsm of the Micromatics leads to a very well secured blade. About the only things that would lead to a loose blade would be a poorly functioning TTO mechanism or bad blade stops.

Try soaking the razor in some hot tap water to see if it can loosen up any gunk in the mechanism internals.

31 7,914
 08-23-2013, 07:53 AM
User Info
Notice the cover as the mechanism closes. As the cover is closed it will pivot down, but also move forward.

I know of no adjustment that can be made. They either work or they don't. I've also never found anyone who can sucessfully take one apart so as to allow it to be reassembled. If you have a water pic after soaking it you might try to use it to try to pressure wash the inside of the razor. But frankly there isn't much in the way of access, but there are a few tiny cracks.

Too, if you can't get it to work after soaking, put it down for a month or so to let it dry. I have one MM whose mechanism doesn't work after soaking, but it works fine after it sits and dries out.

As others have written it should be held securely.

32 6,309
 08-23-2013, 08:16 AM
User Info
If you have the blade placed correctly (behind the blade stops, with the center hole resting flat and centered on the little nub) then the blade should be extremely secure. I just tried to put the blade in mine incorrectly, just to see what it would do and I still managed to get it to tighten down pretty firmly on the blade.

You might have your girlfriend's dad take a look at how you're using it to verify that you have the blade loaded correctly and that everything else is correct.

6 327
 08-23-2013, 09:27 AM
User Info
(08-23-2013, 08:16 AM)Jabberwock Wrote: If you have the blade placed correctly (behind the blade stops, with the center hole resting flat and centered on the little nub) then the blade should be extremely secure. I just tried to put the blade in mine incorrectly, just to see what it would do and I still managed to get it to tighten down pretty firmly on the blade.

You might have your girlfriend's dad take a look at how you're using it to verify that you have the blade loaded correctly and that everything else is correct.

Alas, he knows nothing about it - he doesn't wetshave, just knows I'm interested (read: obsessed) and got it at an antique store.

The blade was definitely seated properly, just something is off about the way the little extension bar holds the cap in place.

I'm not sure what would make it not make contact fully/securely... bent slightly perhaps?

Appreciate all the suggestions and knowledge. I think my Friday after-work plans will be to buy some scrubbing bubbles and to just work the mechanism back and forth - see if I can't dislodge some additional gunk.

2 87
 08-24-2013, 03:49 AM
User Info
(08-23-2013, 07:04 AM)bojangles Wrote: So my girlfriend's father gave me a Clog Pruf for my birthday.

I spent some time polishing it and generally making it look pretty while I waited for an order of SE blades to arrive.

Got them yesterday, popped a blade in, and noticed it doesn't secure the blade well at all. Bad enough that I shook it around and the blade started to fall out of the head.

Spent more time last night boiling it, trying to pick any residue out of the mechanism, etc etc.

How tightly do clog prufs hold the blade? Is there supposed to be zero play, or do they rattle ever so slightly? The top cover closes, but I can wiggle it a few millimeters - when the blade is in, it causes the blade to move ever so slightly as well. I shaved part of my hand with it and didn't cut myself, but it makes me a bit nervous to go at my neck with it like that.

Also, any other suggestions as to how I can get it super clean? Thought about soaking it in something, but I'm not sure what would dissolve the gunk inside it without harming the finish. Although, I'm not too concerned about the finish - it already has some brassing in places.

Thanks gentlemen.
Here is a nice Micromatic Vid

0 606
 08-29-2013, 06:08 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
You are likely missing one or two critical pieces that are required for this razor to function correctly. Make sure there are two small tabs seen underneath and on the sides of the pivoting door... when the TTO knob is twisted, the door comes down and these tabs index into the factory notches one each side of the blade. As you continue to tighten these not only keep the blade square, but then push the blade down and forward into the blade hooks. If one or both of these small tabs are missing the razor will not have anything holding the blade in place, allowing it to flop around as you describe.

135 1,947
 08-29-2013, 08:29 PM
User Info
Thanks for the tips. Luckily the razor does have the tabs, and they don't seem bent or out of whack.

After checking out another one in a nearby antique store, I think it's just really, really, REALLY gunked up and that's preventing the mechanisms from moving fully. I'm going to buy some random chemicals and see if I can't get the soap/water/whatever scum out.

2 87
 08-30-2013, 06:52 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Scrubbing Bubbles is as Random as I get with chemicals.

That or vinegar/water to remove hard water stains (1 to 10 parts or 2 to 10)

1 819
 08-30-2013, 09:32 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
+1 on Scrubbing Bubbles.

I use SB and an old toothbrush. Spray, wait a little bit, brush and repeat till all the scum is gone.

None of my micromatics have that problem, but one of my bullet-tips does have a TTO mechanism that come a bit loose if you are not careful.

0 911