08-24-2013, 03:48 PM
User Info
So I have a Thater 2-band which is an incredible performer. I opted for the fan in a 25mm knot and this this feels amazing on the face, and after having experienced gel tips, I have a hard time envisioning moving back towards non-gel tip badger outside of special occasions. I know that occasionally a brush from, say, TGN has these tips, old Rooney Heritage had these, but my question is:

Do 3-bands have gel tips in the same sense that Thater 2-bands do? I have seen photos that look like it!

Follow-up questionL

What brands are notorious for having these gel-tips?

14 229
 08-24-2013, 04:17 PM
User Info
My Thater did, as do all my Old Rooney brushes and they are all 3 bands

Hooked tips is usually the root of the Gel Feel. My Thater had them, my Kent does, Rooney does, Saville Row has it, my Shavemac D01 3 band has them and my T&H Rooney too.

It's most apparent and exaggerated feel in my Old Rooney's which are 3 band

8 2,718
 08-24-2013, 04:29 PM
User Info
Both the Rooney Heritage Stubby and the Rooney Stubby line are renowned for the gel-tips.

75 20,883
 08-24-2013, 05:02 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Current Rooney Heritage Stubbies and XL lines do not have the gel tips, the earlier gen did. My Alibaba from the Classic Shaving old stock has gel tips. I have a couple M&F brushes with this batch of hair as well. The first batch of VB brushes had very similar hair to these as well. I am strictly speaking in terms of two band brushes. Only my Thäter 49125's in three band seemed to mimic the crispy,curled tips like the 2 band gel hairs did, but did not have the gel like face feel of the 2 banders.

135 1,946
 08-24-2013, 05:23 PM
User Info
(08-24-2013, 05:02 PM)Shanman Wrote: Current Rooney Heritage Stubbies and XL lines do not have the gel tips, the earlier gen did. My Alibaba from the Classic Shaving old stock has gel tips. I have a couple M&F brushes with this batch of hair as well. The first batch of VB brushes had very similar hair to these as well. I am strictly speaking in terms of two band brushes. Only my Thäter 49125's in three band seemed to mimic the crispy,curled tips like the 2 band gel hairs did, but did not have the gel like face feel of the 2 banders.

Hmm, interesting, the 49125 was the 3-band variety of Thater I was looking at. So curled tips but lacking the actual gel feel of the 2-band? Maybe I'll stick with their 2-bands, unless I can get a hold of some of an older Rooney or M & F.

14 229
 08-24-2013, 09:07 PM
User Info
(08-24-2013, 05:02 PM)Shanman Wrote: Current Rooney Heritage Stubbies and XL lines do not have the gel tips, the earlier gen did. My Alibaba from the Classic Shaving old stock has gel tips. I have a couple M&F brushes with this batch of hair as well. The first batch of VB brushes had very similar hair to these as well. I am strictly speaking in terms of two band brushes. Only my Thäter 49125's in three band seemed to mimic the crispy,curled tips like the 2 band gel hairs did, but did not have the gel like face feel of the 2 banders.

* Jeff, i hadn't heard this! i just had a newer Heritage Stubby 2XL around 4 months ago i got in a trade and it definitely had the "gel-like" tips.
When did they make the change and what do the new knots feel like?

75 20,883