08-25-2013, 12:01 PM
User Info
WOW....yes WOW.

I was approached by Peter (Scritchnscrub) to see if I would want to try out his home-made soap he has been working on. Apparently it's been a long process, he kept it quite for a long time and is on batch 30+ with the soap. Needless to say, the sample he sent me from the current batch, he nailed it.

The soap has limited ingredients (9 including Tallow with NO lanolin), made by Peter in Canada, mild pepperminty scent and lathers like a dream. The only soap I can compare the texture to in puck form would be Vitos. It's not a hard tripled milled soap like PdP, but has the consistency and is malleable like MdC and Vitos.

As always, I do 1 test lather with any new product, so I pulled out my Rooney ST2 and gave it a while. I pressed my 50g sample in a soap dish, soaked my brush, gave it a good squeeze and started to lather on the puck gently. 10 sec there was not much happening, 20 sec, there was lather forming, 30 sec it was ready to try. I wet my hand, did some circular strokes and then some slapping/paining and it thickened up beyond belief.

The next day I was ready to test it on my face in a shave setting. Again, soaked brush and had my shower. When I got out I squeezed the brush and did the same 30 sec swirling and you will see from the pics below, there was not shortage of thick, creamy lather. The shave was flawless, the lather making was as easy as MdC and PdP and the shave was slick and had no post shave issues or irritation.

Day 2 (I'll continue my use of this soap for the next week or longer) I decided to leave more water in my brush. So I soaked my brush as usual and just gave a very gently squeeze, leaving most of the water in it. WOW, after about 15 sec of application, I seemed to have as much lather on my brush as the previous day. I continued to lather for my 30 sec and was rewarded with even more lather and an even slicker shave.

Weighing pre and post these shaves and test lather, it appears I am using approx 2.5g of soap per shave, which is in line with PdP and much less then other artisan soaps I have used in the past. I could likely get away with 15 sec of application time, but I didn't want to cut any corners and won't while I'm testing this soap out.

If this hits the market (fingers crossed it does), I wish him all the success he deserves for his dedication and trial and errors in getting this soap to where it is now.

Other artisan soap makers (and big names), you have been warned....A new soap may be hitting the shelves and dens of Shave Forum members everywhere and it's one of the best soaps I have tried from the big names, small names and everything in between, including but not limited to MdC, PdP, Cella, RR, TFS, MW, QCS, Sterling, MB and Mike's.

Pressed in dish:
[Image: IMG_8698.jpg]

30 sec of application:
[Image: IMG_8699.jpg]

Overflow from applying to brush:
[Image: IMG_8700.jpg]

After pass 1:
[Image: IMG_8701.jpg]

Before pass 2:
[Image: IMG_8702.jpg]

Before pass 3:
[Image: IMG_8703.jpg]

After 3 passes and 1 left on face, from inside the brush:
[Image: IMG_8704.jpg]

8 2,718
 08-25-2013, 01:02 PM
User Info
Bruce, thanks for the short review on the new soap. i wish Peter much luck if he does decide to market it! Do you have a list of the ingredients?

74 20,783
 08-25-2013, 01:03 PM
User Info
Where do I sign up to get some? Good job Peter. Looking forward to this soap. Fingers crossed.

37 145
 08-25-2013, 01:23 PM
User Info
(08-25-2013, 01:02 PM)celestino Wrote: Bruce, thanks for the short review on the new soap. i wish Peter much luck if he does decide to market it! Do you have a list of the ingredients?

Steric Acid, Aqua, Coconut Oil, Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Tallow, Caster Seed Oil, Sodium Hydroxide and Avocado Oil.

(08-25-2013, 01:03 PM)oasis man Wrote: Where do I sign up to get some? Good job Peter. Looking forward to this soap. Fingers crossed.

not sure when or if he's going to market it as a hobby or business or just do it on the side, but I look forward to buying some when it's available (post sabbatical of course)

8 2,718
 08-25-2013, 01:40 PM
User Info
Sounds great, hopefully one day it does make it to the pantheon of Artisan soaps available.

10 2,062
 08-25-2013, 03:20 PM
User Info
(08-25-2013, 01:23 PM)Bruce Wrote: Steric Acid, Aqua, Coconut Oil, Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Tallow, Caster Seed Oil, Sodium Hydroxide and Avocado Oil.

* Thanks, Bruce! Those ingredients look great and i may have to try the soap if Peter starts selling it.Smile

74 20,783
 08-26-2013, 02:31 PM
User Info
Just saw this thread. Thanks Bruce for your support and incredibly generous comments. I appreciate it more than you can know.

27 348
 08-27-2013, 12:27 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Here is a chance for you fellas in the Great White North to say "Canada Post Only"...Biggrin

Good Luck Peter!

67 1,375
 08-27-2013, 01:03 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Canada Post Only would not be nice.

1 819
 09-01-2013, 05:46 PM
User Info
The more I read about this soap, the more I am hoping it starts to circulate locally.

0 49
 09-01-2013, 05:50 PM
User Info
here's a quick video to show how easy it lathers....Remind you of another well regarded soap that is known to lather easy?

8 2,718
 09-01-2013, 08:17 PM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Nice video Bruce and I like your choice of music.

173 23,287
 09-01-2013, 08:58 PM
User Info
Great video, Bruce and thanks for posting it! Biggrin

74 20,783
 09-04-2013, 01:14 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
ben74 vs "SNS" soap...

My sample of SNS (ScitchNScrub) soap arrived in Australia,
but due to a few issues, including a family member being hospitalised,
I was unable to share my experiences until now.

[Image: lQzwBWn.png]

When I unwrapped the soap I was presented with a wonderful,
yet subtle peppermint aroma.
It reminded me of the stick of Menthe from Le Savon des Volcans,
but not as overpowering.
I know Peter wants to develop some scents,
but I strongly believe he is already on to a winner with this one.

[Image: LTyqB2J.png]

As I pressed the soft soft into a bowl,
I noticed immediately that it possessed a moisturising quality.
It was easily malleable and did not crumble or fall apart.
It's a soft soap, similar to PannaCrema, perhaps not as hard as Mikes or Jabonman, but not as cream-like in texture as Tabula Rassa.
I soaked a Semogue badger/boar brush for a brief time
and commenced to load.
Almost immediately the lather exploded!
After about 20 seconds I had plenty of soap and lather was already forming nicely.
At first I was concerned that my brush was too wet or I had overloaded,
however these factors were of no concern,
but simply early indicators that this soap was going to be very, very easy to lather.
Other soaps that have intially presented like this for me have often lacked density,
broken down quickly and provided little or no cushion.
I was concerned I might be in for a similar experience.

[Image: zjcG65q.png]

I lathered in the palm of my hand.
I do this when using a brush for the first time,
to assist with de-funking etc and also new products just in case of any irritation
(I do have normal skin, but am prone to some sensitivity issues at times).
I proceeded to build the lather in my hand with backwards and forwards strokes
and was rewarded very quickly with abundant lather.
It felt wonderfully creamy.
It was a dense lather, but not heavy.
It wasn't light and bubbly or filled with excessive air.
It felt very rich and thick.
The lather was stable and did not break down readily.
Even without shaving I can tell this will provide ample cushion and glide.

[Image: MzutgLK.png]

My hand was left feeling wonderfully moisturised
and I am looking forward to face lathering with it tomorrow.
This is not a fussy or difficult soap to work with.
It's not overly thirsty and shouldn't provide any lathering challenge.
The great scent opens up and is released while building.
It's hallmark that stand out to me,
is it's ease of use.
Followed by it's rich creamy consistency and skin care quality.

[Image: 8M6wThK.png]

Although only my initial impressions,
if I had to describe it so far,
I could with a single word...

[Image: 9tKfbVI.png]

Already, I'm hoping Peter moves to the next stage
and starts production for sale.
If he does, I'll be buying!

[Image: 2YJ7DSr.png]

Lathering with this soap is child's play!

Peter, thank-you for the opportunity to try your soap!

91 17,610
 09-04-2013, 02:40 AM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, if it's good enough for Lucas, it's good enough for me. If it goes up for sale I will try some.

173 23,287
 09-04-2013, 04:28 AM
User Info
Ben - thank you so much for taking the time and effort to describe your experience in such detail. What a great start to my day. Hope the shave holds up.

More importantly, I hope your family is well and that things are resolving favourably.

27 348
 09-04-2013, 07:34 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
So far Peter has not said what he plans on doing with the soap.

With these reviews, I hope it will be coming out soon.

1 819
 09-04-2013, 07:50 AM
User Info
(09-04-2013, 07:34 AM)Grumpy Wrote: So far Peter has not said what he plans on doing with the soap.

With these reviews, I hope it will be coming out soon.

Good point. Thanks for your comment. Smile

I am hoping to and working towards bringing it to market in some capacity. I was caught off guard by the positive response and in fact I'm continuing to develop the product further so unfortunately I'm not ready to bring it out in the immediate future.

I wish I could dedicate all my time to it but sadly, I have a real job that interferes with this passion. But I promise to keep you posted.

27 348
 09-04-2013, 10:35 AM
User Info
* Great review, Ben!

* Peter, best of luck with the soap! Looking forward to trying some, also! Biggrin

74 20,783
 09-04-2013, 01:21 PM
User Info
glad to see your take on it Ben. I knew you were on the list of testers but hadn't heard from you on it.

It appears we share the same feeling for this soap....it's Fantastic.

I've been using it daily since I got my sample and it's still going strong.

Looking forward to your thoughts after you face lather/shave with it.

8 2,718