08-25-2013, 12:56 PM
User Info
Hi Gents,

I'm still learning and would like your opinion on the matter of shaving combinations on different days of growth.

For example, I notice that when I have a 3 day stubble, and I shave with my iKon OC with a Feather blade, the result is BBS.

But when I use that same razor and blade on only 1 day's growth, it doesn't seem to cut as close.

Do you gentlemen switch to a different razor or blade to handle shorter stubble? Do you use something more aggressive on longer stubble? Or have you reached the perfect combination of shaving nirvana with a single razor and blade brand that you use every time?

Lastly, I'm still open to the possibility that I just still need to work on my technique with shorter stubble. Please let me know if that's the case as well. HmmBlush

1 56
 08-25-2013, 01:06 PM
User Info
The majority of folks will get a smoother shave with 2 or more days of growth compared to shaving every day. No by much depending on the individual, but it is still noticeable.
Personally, i think you just need to keep practicing and your technique will improve. Once it does, you should be getting very good results, every day, with your go-to razor! You could also try an adjustable like the Merkur Progress as it would eliminate the need for different razors. Good luck.Biggrin

75 20,883
 08-25-2013, 01:08 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I always think of it like a well stocked tool box...use the proper tool for the job and with good technique the results will be consistant.If you only want an all purpose tool in your box get a Merkur Progress and you can ajust the cutting power for the beard stubble from fine to long. Other wise you will end up like most of use with dozens of unused or used once razors until that favorite razor becomes so good you will buy backups in case it breaks or they stop making them.If you do try a new razor stay with it for at least a week or two before you start going nuts .....then you will be hooked and addicted and hiding them all over your house....good luck.!!!!

6 1,913
 08-25-2013, 01:30 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
I noticed much better shaves for longer than 36 hours time between shaves .
If I use a de razor, I can get a very close shave. Also, I try different preparation for shorter hair... longer hair seems to like very warm water prep and a quick face washing to remove the oils from hair and skin.

A thorough rinse after a light washing with almost no growth.

shave soaps/creams may act different with a pre-shave oil too..

But... technique will develop over time with your shave ritual that works best for your skin/hair type

Blessings,
James

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

9 1,684
 08-25-2013, 01:32 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(08-25-2013, 01:08 PM)Harvey Wrote: I always think of it like a well stocked tool box...use the proper tool for the job and with good technique the results will be consistant.If you only want an all purpose tool in your box get a Merkur Progress and you can ajust the cutting power for the beard stubble from fine to long. Other wise you will end up like most of use with dozens of unused or used once razors until that favorite razor becomes so good you will buy backups in case it breaks or they stop making them.If you do try a new razor stay with it for at least a week or two before you start going nuts .....then you will be hooked and addicted and hiding them all over your house....good luck.!!!!

Have you been to my house, Harvey?! Biggrin

102 17,670
 08-25-2013, 01:39 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I think you posted pictures at the 12 step program when we attended the RAD intervention and you spoke of it during our rehab stay with Linsey....learned so much....Biggrin

6 1,913
 08-27-2013, 06:41 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Rich, when I have a couple of days growth I choose a more aggressive razor, usually my Joris and I am rewarded with a wonderful shave - very close and irritation free. I've noticed however, using the same razor on a daily basis I don't always achieve the same results. I found that with daily shaving my SB razors were providing better results (closeness and comfort) than my OC...

91 17,854
 08-27-2013, 09:32 AM
User Info
(08-27-2013, 06:41 AM)ben74 Wrote: Rich, when I have a couple of days growth I choose a more aggressive razor, usually my Joris and I am rewarded with a wonderful shave - very close and irritation free. I've noticed however, using the same razor on a daily basis I don't always achieve the same results. I found that with daily shaving my SB razors were providing better results (closeness and comfort) than my OC...

Thanks Ben for the insight. I'm starting to see what you mean as I experimented. I'll definitely continue to use my OC on several days of growth, but use a mild razor for daily use. Hmmm...maybe it's time to save up for a Feather A2-D2?! Biggrin

1 56