08-25-2013, 09:42 PM
  • gclyn
  • Markham, Ontario, Canada
User Info
I got my Tradere OC (2nd Gen) on Friday, Aug 23. Today was the first shave with this magnificent piece of art.

Blade: Merkur Super Platinums
Brush: Parker Pure Badger
Cream/Soap: Taylor of Bond Street Avocado
Pre-Shave: Prorasso white tub
After-Shave: Baxter of California balm

First, let me say that I love the smell of the Baxter of California aftershave balm. It's fresh, "citrusy" and light on the face. The aroma is very pleasant and mild, not overpowering like some colognes.

Now, let me say that the Tradere OC, combined with the Merkur blade gave me one if the best, irritation free, shaves I have had since wet shaving. It is less aggressive than my Joris and a touch more than my EJ DE89L. The balance is perfect, I really like the feel of the Tradere handle. Ergonomically, it felt comfortable and secure in my hand.

The head is heavy as reported, but I like it. One does not have to use any pressure, just let the weight if the head and gravity do their jobs, thus, it was easy to glide over my face with little effort. I used an angle of approximately 30 degrees.

After 3 passes, WTG, XTG, ATG, I got a BBS shave with no very little blade buffing for the problem areas. This razor is definitely part if my rotation and is definitely a keeper.

In terms of design and looks, I appreciate and like the combined satin finish of the handle and polished look of the head. The laser etching of the serial number and Tradere name on the bottom of the base plate is classy and gives a boutique feel to the product, like an expensive watch. Very nice.

I understand that the 1st Gen OC came in a plastic case. This one came in a nice cardboard box...too bad, I really would have liked the plastic case.

Overall, really love this razor. For those who are apprehensive that it might be too aggressive or hat it is an OC, put your fears to rest. if you like the feel of the EJ DE89 razor you will like the Tradere OC, with just a bit more aggressiveness, but feels smooth. I am going to add an SB and will try to find a 1st generation OC for my collection.

Thanks for reading. Pictures to follow soon.

0 26
 08-26-2013, 09:05 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Chris, that is quite the rotation you have there. From the AS-D2 to the Tradere OC.

I've been thinking about trying a Tradere but cannot decide between the OC or SB.

Decisions, decisions.

173 23,490
 08-26-2013, 09:58 AM
User Info
Chris, congratulations on the new razor!
i really love the design of the Traderes, but i just couldn't get on with either the SB or OC! Enjoy the razor!Biggrin

75 20,883
 08-26-2013, 10:32 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Great review Chris. The Tradere is a beautifully made and efficient razor. Very glad to hear you like it.

100 12,437
 08-26-2013, 10:47 AM
User Info
Excellent review, Chris!
I think the Tradere SB will be my next DE.

2 1,403
 08-26-2013, 11:20 AM
  • gclyn
User Info
(08-26-2013, 09:05 AM)Johnny Wrote: Chris, that is quite the rotation you have there. From the AS-D2 to the Tradere OC.

I've been thinking about trying a Tradere but cannot decide between the OC or SB.

Decisions, decisions.

Yeah, my rotation goes from extremes. I am fortunate that my facial skin is amenable to using such wide varieties.

I use the Joris and now the Tradere when I want that super close shave for occasions like a wedding or dinner or something of that nature. Or I'll use once per week. The Feather, Super Speed and EJ I use more regularly...however, I think my Tradere will be used more in the rotation.

If you like Merkur or EJ DE89 razors, I think you will prefer the OC; however, I have not tried the SB, bu, it's on it's way, but the OC is very smooth and not too aggressive. YMMV I guess. But I really love the OC...and hopefully find a 1st Gen OC to add to the collection.

Thanks slantman, Thanks ClaudioBP

Yeah, I really love the look and feel of the razor. ClaudioBP, if the SB shaves as smooth and efficietly as the OC or close to it, I guarantee you will love it.

0 26
 08-26-2013, 11:33 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I look forward to your review of the SB when you get one.

And Chris, when you get a chance, introduce yourself in our Introduction Section so all the members can see.

Thanks

173 23,490
 08-26-2013, 03:00 PM
User Info
(08-25-2013, 09:42 PM)gclyn Wrote: I understand that the 1st Gen OC came in a plastic case. This one came in a nice cardboard box...too bad, I really would have liked the plastic case.

The original plastic box was not a box to enjoy. I think the new cardboard boxes are more appropriate. The original cases were similar to what you would get from granger to protect something electrical. It was huge with tons of foam. IMO it was not at all befitting a razor. In other words, you're not missing anything.

129 6,685
 08-27-2013, 05:00 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I owned both Tradere first generation SB and OC. Sadly I didn't enjoy them, but I have often considered trying again with the second generation. I recall the plastic case, it was perfect for ensuring safe transport, but probably cost prohibitive in the end.

91 17,798
 08-29-2013, 02:54 AM
User Info
Thank you for sharing, now how bout them picsShy

0 606
 08-29-2013, 07:41 AM
  • gclyn
User Info
Ok, here are the pics of my Tradere OC 2nd gen. I bought it from another member:

[Image: dJd931f.jpg]
[Image: KNWzGvC.jpg]
[Image: a28RDFu.jpg][Image: 5bqz9PG.jpg][Image: EHkc07e.jpg]

0 26
 08-29-2013, 07:31 PM
User Info
Congrats on picking up a razor that works so well for you. I owned the SB version and sold it the next day, the shave was so mild I couldn't get a good shave from it. I do want to try the OC version though, I think it would be a better choice for me.

63 2,128
 08-29-2013, 08:55 PM
  • gclyn
User Info
cessnabird, I think you would like the OC version. You can feel it cut the whiskers. The head is so heavy, you don't need to push against your face. Like I said in my review, the aggressiveness, falls between the EJ DE89 and a Joris.

BTW, the majority of members rave that the Gillette Super Speed is a great razor. I'm using the "regular" aggressiveness version, model E-3...I really want to have a vintage razor in my rotation, but this one is not doing for me, like the modern razors. YMMV I guess. Maybe will put the red tip in rotation.

0 26
 08-29-2013, 11:09 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
(08-29-2013, 07:31 PM)cessnabird Wrote: Congrats on picking up a razor that works so well for you. I owned the SB version and sold it the next day, the shave was so mild I couldn't get a good shave from it. I do want to try the OC version though, I think it would be a better choice for me.

Just my opinion but if you didn't like the SB for it's mildness then the OC isn't that far off, it's on the mild side. That's how I how I experience it at least.

27 1,294
 09-07-2013, 07:51 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Great picture Chris.

I keep hearing 1st generation, 2nd generation. What's the difference other than the box they were shipped in?

173 23,490
 09-07-2013, 08:03 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
1st generation was a bit more aggressive and the handle was different in length . That's what I heard, never shaved with a 1st gen myself.

27 1,294
 09-07-2013, 08:04 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
The 1st generation open comb razor had a slightly longer handle and was more aggressive.

There has only been one version of the solid bar razor.

45 16,285
 09-07-2013, 08:26 AM
  • gclyn
User Info
Gentlemen, I just had my 4th shave with the Tradere OC 2nd Gen since I got it a couple weeks ago.

Brush: Parker Pure Badger
Blade: Personna Precision
Shaving Cream: Taylor of Bond Street Mr. Taylor's
Pre-Shave: Prorasso Pre-Shave (White label)
Post-Shave: Captain's Choice Lime and then light application of Baxter's of California balm

As my technique is evolving and I get more comfortable with the OC razors. I have to say this was the best shave with no irritation I had since my foray into wet shaving a few months ago. Once again the angle was about 30 degrees, but I also tried closer to 20 degrees and the razor "sang" as it cut my whiskers.

My usual WTG, XTG, ATG, passes were pleasurable...did not do any blade buffing this time.

There is not much more to say, but that this OC is definitely mild enough to be an everyday shaver or at least 3-4 times a week shaver. I love it, and very happy with my purchase of the Tradere OC. I am highly considering buying a second one, maybe once a 3rd Generation comes out.

That's it folks.

Thanks for reading.

0 26
 09-07-2013, 03:11 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Hard to go wrong with a Tradere
They Look Good, Feel Good, and give a great shave

115 1,692
 09-07-2013, 04:54 PM
  • Qhead
  • Cleveland, Ohio
User Info
Tradere OC 2nd gen is on the top of my wish list. Hoping it may equal or exceed the shave I get from my iKon OC deluxe which is my all time fave so far. Nice review.

15 185