08-26-2013, 12:21 PM
User Info
Hello everyone,

Yes, the title of the thread is supposed to stir the pot, but I think it will be to the benefit of many who read this thread.

After having a wonderful experience with the D R Harris Lavender shave stick (phenomenal glide and protection), I have been "inspired" to use all of my shaving soaps as a sticks. All this means is that I rub the cake of soap directly on my face (loading the stubble/beard) rather than loading the brush. I have never been one to struggle with MWF (my use of distilled water for the later may be a factor here), but it and all other soaps lather better than ever this way, all with little effort and great efficiency.

I am curious if anyone else is partial to this method. If you haven't tried it yet, please do and report your impressions!

Regards,

ntr

1 255
 08-26-2013, 12:28 PM
User Info
That's how I used to lather my Mike's Natural bar. But then I just bought some in stick form and use it like that. But I agree, shave sticks are awesome.

2 396
 08-26-2013, 12:33 PM
User Info
Right on, MegaBullfrog. I will check out the Mike's stuff.

(08-26-2013, 12:28 PM)MegaBullfrog Wrote: That's how I used to lather my Mike's Natural bar. But then I just bought some in stick form and use it like that. But I agree, shave sticks are awesome.

1 255
 08-26-2013, 12:35 PM
User Info
It's good that you've found a method that works well for you. However, I've had no trouble with any soaps, and part of the enjoyment of shaving for me is building the lather in a scuttle. I wouldn't want to give that up.

184 12,003
 08-26-2013, 12:46 PM
User Info
I am very fortunate to have a number of amazing face-lathering brushes--a feeling of closeness and differentiation among brushes resulting from this method has contributed to my preference lately. These brushes are a Somerset Trumpers Duke 1 in Best and a butterscotch two band Best Duke 1 that is at least 1970 or earlier, both of which are a bit oversized compared with today's Dukes (neither fits in the travel tube, for instance). When I bowl lather, I feel like the brush choice is less relevant to the shaving experience. This way I really get to experience the difference among the various brushes.

1 255
 08-26-2013, 12:48 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've done that with MWF but got tired of getting shave soap all over my hands, so I just grated me some MWF and packed it in to a shave stick tube. Works great for when I travel.

173 23,553
 08-26-2013, 01:00 PM
User Info
Thanks for the reply, Johnny. I have tried soaking the MWF cake but with this method, I just use the dry cake against a wet face. Shake out the soaked brush and dip the tips in water before face-lathering.

Not to highjack this, but the Harris Windsor soap bowl doesn't have the same glide as the Lavender stick, which I find surprising.

1 255
 08-26-2013, 01:08 PM
User Info
Shave sticks work wonders for traveling, but i much prefer to load my soap with a brush and then face-lather. Either way works brilliantly! Enjoy!Biggrin

75 20,883
 08-30-2013, 12:32 PM
User Info
(08-26-2013, 12:33 PM)ntr(nwu) Wrote: Right on, MegaBullfrog. I will check out the Mike's stuff.

(08-26-2013, 12:28 PM)MegaBullfrog Wrote: That's how I used to lather my Mike's Natural bar. But then I just bought some in stick form and use it like that. But I agree, shave sticks are awesome.
Do it, his stuff rocks. There is a bit of a wait because he moved from NYC to Michigan, but your face will thank you for it later. My favorite is the Barbershop scent.

2 396
 08-31-2013, 11:59 AM
User Info
That's why I stopped with sticks also Johnny. It wasn't because sticks or rubbing a puck on my face didn't work. Just the opposite in fact.

32 6,311
 08-31-2013, 02:04 PM
User Info
(08-26-2013, 12:21 PM)ntr(nwu) Wrote: ... I have been "inspired" to use all of my shaving soaps as a sticks. All this means is that I rub the cake of soap directly on my face (loading the stubble/beard) rather than loading the brush

I arrived at the same process a while back. I first load the soap on my face, then build some more on the brush while I hold the bar on my hand - works great Biggrin

0 89
 08-31-2013, 02:34 PM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
On italian forum IlRasoio.com there is a good post to convert ALL the soap into stick.
http://ilrasoio.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1581&hilit=sapone+stick+cella&start=50#p25758

Here is the translation ... not G-Translate Tongue
Super Mario Wrote:Days ago I received a PM with a question about CELLA SOAP STICK from 1kg dough.
So I decided to list the steps thanks to a precise description of Luca142857:
  • Take a used deodorant or glue stick
  • Wash it well with a brush
  • Take it to the air to dry for a few days, maybe rewash if it smells
  • When odorless, you can begin to prepare the soap stick
  • The stick has a disk inside that goes up and down, driven by a screw can be rotated from the base of the stick.
  • Bring up the disk to an inch from the edge, squeeze it well loads a small amount of soap (say one or half a walnut). It is important to crush well (without force) to compact the soap and leave no air holes inside, which could compromise solidity and conservation.
  • Drop an inch, still loads and so on.

If You use a hard soap, before do this:
1. Grate it in flakes
2. Moisten with few drops of water
3. Amalgamate well to have a hard cream ... as italian-soap.
4. Start with list above

This works great. Tried. Cool

0 1,096