08-27-2013, 06:06 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
I've found living in central Florida that talcum helps keep me a lot drier than just regular deodorant. I don't get any fancy brands really, just Clubmans and Baby powder I have tried the non talc kind with cornstarch and arrow root but I just didn't find it the same.

What brands do you all use? And do you find anything really different about them except for the scent?

Joshua

5 123
 08-27-2013, 06:24 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I use Clubmans and I have a can of George Trumper's Talcum Powder.

I do not note any difference other than the scent.

I only use it on my face to keep the shine down and to enjoy that old fashion shaving experience.

1 819
 08-27-2013, 09:13 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I have many different talcs, Josh, and use them mostly on my face to smooth out a shave. The different scents are what appeal but I agree with you that I don't really care for cornstarch or arrowroot based powders.

Two that I use, besides Clubman, and really like are Cussons Imperial Leather Silk and Himani Navratna Cool Talc. While the Imperial Leather Silk is truly well named and is just about the smoothest talc I own, living in Florida as you do, you might really enjoy the Navratna Cool Talc. Again, it is very well named.

I purchased the Silk talc in Scotland and the Cool Talc was a gift from a friend in Wales. The Cool Talc is available on Amazon and eBay (both the blue container and the green one contain the same product). Regular Imperial Leather talc in the red container is available from both of those sources, too. Unfortunately, the Silk seems to have been discontinued. Sad

[Image: IRh7c40.jpg]

2 11,211
 08-27-2013, 09:17 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
Haha, you must have been in my mind when writing this. When I had read 'Himani Navratna Cool Talc' I thought to myself that'd be great! I'll look it up on amazon.

5 123
 08-27-2013, 09:42 AM
  • KLF
  • Israel
User Info
I know it's a stupid question, but how does someone use talcum?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

0 55
 08-27-2013, 09:46 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
I personally just dump a bit in my hand and apply. I know some people put some on a washcloth and apply with that. Or if you want to get fancy you could get a powderpuff and a tub for the powderpuff to fit in, fill with tub with talc put the powderpuff in, then apply with that.

5 123
 08-27-2013, 10:37 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
To Use Talc -

You can

1) Put some in a handkerchief and use it like a powderpuff. You just have to find a place to put the hankerchief inbetween uses.

2) Get one of the woman's powder containers with a powderpuff.

3) Buy a powder brush and put some on your hand and use the brush to apply.

4) Buy a Talcum Powder Brush Dispenser.

1 819
 08-27-2013, 09:21 PM
User Info
i don't think i have ever tried talcum. Is there any residue left on clothes from it if you perspire?

75 20,883
 08-28-2013, 02:43 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
I've never found any residue left over on my clothes but I always dress casually but I don't think I have really ever checked for that. I will say this though.. I also but some in my bed sheets on hot summer nights helps to keep me cooler!

5 123
 08-28-2013, 09:44 AM
User Info
(08-28-2013, 02:43 AM)jshnks Wrote: I've never found any residue left over on my clothes but I always dress casually but I don't think I have really ever checked for that. I will say this though.. I also but some in my bed sheets on hot summer nights helps to keep me cooler!

* Thanks, Joshua, i may have to give it a try! Biggrin

75 20,883
 08-31-2013, 04:31 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
Review: Himani Navratna Cool Talc

After getting a few talc samples from Freddie, I thought I would write a few reviews over the next few days on them. First up is the Himani Navratna Cool Talc.

At First Glance: it's pure white in color, and looks to be a bit clumpier than my normal baby powder although this may be due to the fact that it was in a small container.

Scent: After opening the container I get a good whiff that brings me back to when I was 15 year's old and all the rage in my middle school was 'Davidoff Cool Water cologne' even though most of them wore knockoff's they were usually pretty close to Davidoffs' original. Think cool water with a hint of menthol.

Application: Went on smooth and silky, I want to say this felt silky than my normal baby powder and Clubman talc's and it definitely blended into my skin smoother. My normal baby powder and Clubman usually leaves my face or where ever I put it with a white residue, I barely noticed that I had talc on with the Himani Navratna Cool Talc.

Cooling: After application to my under arms and chest I didn't feel much of a cooling sensation however when I started application to the northern regions I started to feel a faint but welcoming cooling sensation to my under arms, not so much my chest though. The faint feeling slowly got more intense, not too much though just right. CAUTION: Northern regions.. you may or may not want to use this on them as the cooling seems more like a burn, I might have used too much at first in this area.. just use caution.. a light dusting. not a handful!

My Thoughts: All in all, I liked this aside from the application of the northern regions.
I found it to be a pleasant cooling sensation with a nice smell, I really liked how it blended better into my skin. just use caution when applying to your northern regions!

Revisted: The scent is great, the cooling is great, just dont use ANY amount on your nether regions. All in all it's a great talc.

[Image: 7057.20120710151517.jpg]

5 123
 08-31-2013, 08:54 AM
  • freddy
User Info
Joshua, thanks for the great review. The clumping you referred to is exactly because of what you stated, the container I sent it in. Out of the original plastic bottle it is not a problem. Indeed, I have that clumping problem with the Clubman talc I keep in my travel kit. It, too, is in a small plastic jar just like the ones I sent you.

I use this, and all my other talcs, basically on my face and chest and have no problems at all with a burning sensation, even on a freshly shaved face, so am not quite sure what you mean by "northern" regions. Did you perhaps mean "nether" regions (genitals, buttocks)? If you did then I don't think I'll be trying Navratna Cool Talc down there. 24

2 11,211
 08-31-2013, 09:54 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
Yea, I was going for 'nether region' must of had an 8 am brain fart. I work with palm trees all day so i'm usually always in the heat and I use it down there to keep dry and to stop chafing.

5 123
 08-31-2013, 10:03 AM
User Info
A couple of them whose scents I like are Woods of Windsor Lavender and vintage Penhaligon's Lords.

184 12,003
 08-31-2013, 10:12 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
I'd love to get some of Penhaligon's English Fern. Also savagejoerude in another thread talked of a company in New Orleans' french quarter. I have a sample of their Vetiver coming in, but I like the fact that they make ALL products in their scents! even a body powder! I hope it's talc tho and not cornstarch.

5 123
 09-06-2013, 05:23 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
REVIEW: Roberts Borotalco

At First Glance: Pure white in color, and with a few taps on the counter the clumps from the test jar go away.

Scent: Oh the scent.. It's a very fresh manly smelling floral. But it takes me back many moons ago, my uncle worked at a Rutland's men's department store in Altamonte Springs, FL. that has since closed its doors. However this was the scent that permeated through out the store. To me it's a very strong fragrance. It hid my cologne under it although after about an hour my cologne came back through.

Application: This left my skin a bit whiter than the Himani Navratna Cool Talc I couldn't get it blended in as well.

Cooling: N/A

My Thoughts: A very strong manly floral scent, I would wear it if I wasn't wearing a cologne, although I think this would keep your shoes and linens smelling great all the time.

[Image: 51hqSGXtsiL._SY355_.jpg]

5 123
 09-06-2013, 07:03 AM
  • freddy
User Info
I enjoy the Borotalco, Joshua, and it certainly has a distinctive (and to my mind, pleasant) scent. It has been around for years, and with good reason. I truly enjoy this one after my morning shave. Thanks for another excellent review.

2 11,211
 09-06-2013, 07:41 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
Oh no, I agree the scent is very good. I don't mind it at all, in fact I rather like it. It's just rather strong in my opinion(Maybe just for me) I would just wear it on days I wasn't going to wear a cologne!

5 123
 09-06-2013, 09:13 AM
  • freddy
User Info
(09-06-2013, 07:41 AM)jshnks Wrote: Oh no, I agree the scent is very good. I don't mind it at all, in fact I rather like it. It's just rather strong in my opinion(Maybe just for me) I would just wear it on days I wasn't going to wear a cologne!

I have really been enjoying your take on the talcs and am looking forward to reviews of the others. Smile

2 11,211
 09-06-2013, 12:55 PM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
Thank you for the kind words, Freddy!

5 123