08-27-2013, 12:42 PM
User Info
I have been trying to figure out the best way to shave the side of my neck, which has always been my biggest trouble spot. The grain runs down > diagonal > sideways (from the midline towards the ear).

With the rest of my face I go with the grain on the first pass, but don't really like going sideways here because of the neck angle / starting at the adams apple. I find that an upwards diagonal approach (mostly w grain) works the best, but is slightly awkward by the jawline.

I usually get some mild irritation, but this area is pretty much the only place I get the occasional cut (like this morning).

Thanks for any advice. (Realize this is wrong board, I tried deleting and reposting in General Shave Discussion)

191 1,552
 08-27-2013, 01:07 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I will move this to the General Shave Discussion for you.

173 23,535
 08-27-2013, 03:01 PM
User Info
Mine is the same. I go from the bottom of my neck and pull the razor straight up with some curve on the extreme left and right (under the ears).

1 622
 08-27-2013, 06:13 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I shave diagonally on my neck from the Adam's apple down and out towards the base of my neck to match the growth direction in that area and to achieve the most effective pass. However, directly under the chin, I shave straight up from the base of my neck. I've also noticed the hair on right cheek towards the jaw line grows in a different direction to that on the left side. Face mapping and understanding the omni directional growth patterns of your individual face are IMO paramount to achieving a close and satisfactory shave.

91 17,850
 08-28-2013, 05:09 PM
User Info
Thanks for the feedback. I understand the grain / growth patterns, just find it hard to go with the grain when it runs almost sideways right under the jaw. It's just awkward w curve from the jaw, and neck.

I know that I should invest the time to get more patient with that area. My problems happen when I get careless (no brainer) and the minor irritation is definitely from defying the growth pattern.

191 1,552
 08-28-2013, 05:17 PM
User Info
Best of luck to you in tackling the problem!
The jawline is always one of my biggest challenges, also.

75 20,883
 08-29-2013, 02:22 AM
User Info
Had the same issue. I started going from the bottom of my neck and "pulling up". And I also "stopped stretching my skin".

Does the hair lay down against your skin?

1 622
 08-29-2013, 04:38 PM
User Info
It lays down a bit. Pulling up works best for me too, but unless I break up into 3 different planes I'll be going XTG for part of it. Which is why I have been going diagonally ... better, but not perfect.

My new thought is to think of the bottom half of the neck separately and get the top half by pulling down from & over the jaw line. Will try tonight.

The good news is that I have the rest of my face figured out Smile

191 1,552
 08-29-2013, 08:42 PM
User Info
I'm the same, lower neck, curve + some, WTG below the chin. Biggrin

There just isn't a way to hit the apex of the curve just right unless you turn the handle as you pull up and after trying that and having it cause more problems than it solves I went back to pulling straight up.

1 622
 08-29-2013, 08:51 PM
User Info
Agreed. The times I have tried to follow the arc exactly were not good - especially with a straight razor.

I think that good prep + slants and more aggressive razors reduce the impact of going XTC first when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

191 1,552
 08-30-2013, 08:20 AM
User Info
I shaved this morning, instead of last night, and had better results (not perfect).

In addition to going slower and using less pressure, I also went slightly easier on the second pass ... "Down" on a different diagonal mostly w grain. I think both passes need to be examined. Excited to learn more.

191 1,552
 08-30-2013, 08:11 PM
User Info
I have that problem as well. It would be easier with a DE, but with a straight, I can't manouver that area as good as a DE would. But I refuse to use both a DE and a straight razor, so I end up doing two light diagonal cuts (basically XTG in both directions) and that takes care of most of it.

0 89
 08-31-2013, 08:58 AM
User Info
A lot of folks have good success with J-hooking on their neck. You can check out Mantic59 videos on youtube to see what that is.

1 77
 08-31-2013, 04:25 PM
User Info
Thanks! I just watched the video and will experiment.

Seeing it made me re think the longer strokes I was using!

191 1,552
 08-31-2013, 05:12 PM
User Info
An open comb razor with sharp teeth like the Merkur models will lift the hair before its cut.

This should be priority one.

After that, keeping your skin clean and moisturized will keep the hair from getting trapped so the razor can lift the hair.

When your serious about fixing this, this is how you do it,,...

1 622