08-28-2013, 06:25 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
Yesterday I got in my Maggards MR1 safety razor, my previous was a custom Merkur 34c using astra SP's. Changed up the routine a good bit today however. The other day I was at Walgreen's and saw that the had a tube of Burt's Bees shaving gel in the 75% off section I picked it up, gave it a shave and didn't like it. Well this morning, I decided to try it as a pre-shave along with my other new toys. After application of the Burt's Bees I hot toweled worked up my lather(Van der Hagen) and started my shave.

And I have to say, it was the best shave I have had yet. I don't know if it was the Burt's Bees, the new safety razor or the new razor blade I was using (Silver Blue) I will admit I still nicked the side of my face with scleroderma however I had almost no irritation on that side which is a HUGE plus.

My aftershave was Witch Hazel then Aqua Velva.

Joshua

5 123
 08-28-2013, 08:57 AM
User Info
Congratulations, Joshua!
i have never used any of the Burt's Bees shaving products. Enjoy.

75 20,883
 08-28-2013, 09:27 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Congrats on the Best Shave so far.

Burt's Bees ... bought it on a whim and it turned out to be one of my first purchases of a latherless/brushless shave cream.Huh

I didn't like. Used it a few times, went camping into the mountains and the higher elevation caused the pressure in the container to increase and BANG ... the bottle blew up.Sad

Luckly I had it in a Large Plastic Bag and since I did not like it I threw it away.

I was thinking that it might make a good pre-shave product to put on your face before applying some real lather but, I did not get a chance to see if the product could be used that way.

1 819
 08-28-2013, 09:27 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Joshua, it's good to hear how you are progressing. The learning process is ongoing and passing along our experiences helps other members so thank you. Thumbsup

As for the Burt's Bees, I wouldn't be a bit surprised that it helped as a pre-shave. I usually do not have comfortable shaves from oils/gels that promote themselves as alternatives to standard shaving creams/soaps. However, as pre-shaves, they are very often outstanding.

2 11,211
 08-28-2013, 03:30 PM
User Info
Excellent about the shave!

Never tried Burts Bees, but VdH is a sleeper product. It's actually quite good when used all on it's own when making an Ultralather. Do a search for it (UltraLather), Sharpspine wrote the thread you want. The better the soap the better and more protective the UL is, up to point IMO. But VdH makes a pretty fantastic UL. I used it the other morning myself.

An UL might help protect your skin better.

32 6,309
 08-28-2013, 04:36 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
It's always great when you hit a milestone in shaving. At first things are shaky and we expect more than our experience can provide. Slowly but surely things start to fall in place and before you know it you have a routine, have a knowledege of what certain products can provide, and are no longer a NOOB. Great news Sir. You are at the beginning of many great shaves.....

5 1,151
 08-30-2013, 04:57 PM
User Info
Congrats. Your shaves will only get better from here on out.

2 396