08-28-2013, 06:14 PM
  • tave
  • Mr whiskers
  • baltimore
User Info
I've just purchased 3 new shaving brushes. One silvertip from AOS, one silvertip from WSP and one boarbristle from bullgoose. My question is are certain brushes better for cream than they are for hard soaps. I've read where boars are better for face lathering and badgers are better for bowl lathering. Is it just a matter of preference and experience?

0 76
 08-28-2013, 08:04 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I think it's really just a matter of preference. Try each on all different types of product and see what works for you.

45 3,955
 08-28-2013, 08:40 PM
User Info
I agree it's just what you like. There are no rules, just generalities about what most folks like and for every generality there are 1000 exceptions.

Face lathering brushes that I use generally have smaller handles and that tends to make them unsuitable for bowl lathering... generally. But use the right bowl and they'd work just fine.

I use Boars, badgers, and synthetics all for the face lathering of creams, croaps, and hard soaps. Even my brush that's cloud soft with no backbone works fine with hard soaps. It's up to the wielder of the brush IMO.

You'll figure out what you like in time. The key is to try different things and read and learn. File things away in the grey matter.

32 6,309
 08-28-2013, 09:28 PM
User Info
For me, it is just a matter of preference! Good luck with the brushes and have fun. Biggrin

75 20,883
 08-29-2013, 06:33 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Personal Preference. However, I have noticed that certain hard soaps lather up easier with a Boar Brush.

Then there are some that beleive that a Boar Brush should not be used to lather in a bowl because the Brush Hairs may be damaged.

Personally, I mostly bowl lather and every brush gets Bowl Time.

1 819