08-29-2013, 03:41 PM
  • warhawk
  • Beautiful NorthWest Florida
User Info
Hi Gents: I hope all is well with you & your families. I thought it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to head shaving.

So. . . let me be the first to say welcome to the HEAD SHAVERS Check in. My name is Mel and I have been head shaving since April 2007. I started out with numerous cartridge razors, disposables, & even the Head Blade to finally shaving with a Gillette Fusion & Schick Hydro5.

Enter April, 2012 and I have been exclusively using a DE or SE razor. Since then, I have been thoroughly enjoying my head shaves. There is nothing more relaxing, soothing, and spa-like than the traditional way of head shaving.

So . . . if you are a head shaver or are thinking about shaving your dome, please join in and introduce yourself. This section is open to all head shavers and non-head shavers.

WARHAWK

Thursday, August 29, 2013 HEAD SOTD

Above The Tie Atlas R

Polsilver Super Iridium

Mystic Water Marrakesh

Morris & Forndran L7

Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated Osage Rub

This is my very 1st time with the ATT Atlas R. I must say that this stainless steel beauty is a great performer. Too early to tell but so far I like my Atlas R.

[Image: qe6y7adu.jpg]

WARHAWK

12 327
 08-29-2013, 07:18 PM
User Info
My name is Joseph and I'm a head shaverBiggrin

Been shaving my head for a few years now, before that I would buzz it down to 0 or 1 with the clippers.

I shave my head in the shower, I exclusively use the Gillette Guard for head shaving. I use my own RazoRock shave gel; I always finish with a few drops of shave oil and then a very moisturizing balm.

I agree that shaving one's head (like the face) is a Zen-like experience and very soothing and meditative; I love it!

3 315
 08-29-2013, 09:00 PM
User Info
Two posts and no pics of any noggins, yet! Biggrin

75 20,883
 08-30-2013, 08:18 PM
User Info
I have been shaving my noggin now for 3-4 years, every single day, with a Panasonic electric razor.

But I did not wanted to rely on cartridges, so after 6-months shaving my face with a DE, I tried shaving my head with a DE, but it was not ergonomic enough for me - it never felt right.

I then tried the Headblade, and although it had (to me) better ergonomics than the DE, it was still much slower than the electric, specially since the twin blade cartridges get clogged so easily.

Now that I have close to 6-months shaving with a straight razor, I forced myself to learn to shave my head with a straight razor, and although I am getting better, it still takes much longer than the electric razor, so even now I still rely on the electric during the work week (and when I travel), but then on weekends I continue shaving with the straight razor.

0 89
 09-01-2013, 03:10 PM
User Info
Shaved my head for the first time ever today. Cool

I usually get my hair clipped to the shortest they can do with the clippers, but I've never actually gone ahead an d actually shaved the rest of it off. Today, I took my Pal InjectoMatic and shaved my head. It was hard to get at some parts of my head, as I couldn't see what I was doing, but it went well.

-------

However, the sequel wasn't great.

I was mowing the lawn after that, and had to go into the shed to get the gas for the mower. I didn't stoop low enough when I exited the shed (actually, I straightened up too soon), and I hit the doorjamb with the back of my head. With my usual helmet of hair, I would have had no damage. Without any hair, I got a bad cut. It was bleeding pretty badly for a while.

Oh well! That's the price we pay. Biggrin

37 1,731
 09-01-2013, 03:20 PM
User Info
(09-01-2013, 03:10 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: With my usual helmet of hair, I would have had no damage. Without any hair, I got a bad cut. It was bleeding pretty badly for a while.
Been there myself. I did not realize how much a little bit of hair actually protects the scalp!

0 89
 09-01-2013, 04:39 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Does shaving the sides of your head count. I've been sporting a mohawk for a couple years now. I use my trusty SE's and they work great. Before that it was a Schick Quantum which worked pretty well. But not as soothing as the old SE....

5 1,151
 09-02-2013, 03:01 AM
User Info
(09-01-2013, 03:20 PM)wquiles Wrote:
(09-01-2013, 03:10 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: With my usual helmet of hair, I would have had no damage. Without any hair, I got a bad cut. It was bleeding pretty badly for a while.
Been there myself. I did not realize how much a little bit of hair actually protects the scalp!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who's had this experience. I cannot see the cut myself (though I guess I could get my daughter's makeup glass to see it), but my wife tells me a bit of the skin was pulled off. Smile

37 1,731
 09-02-2013, 03:14 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I've been a daily head shaver for a long time. First with a DE, then a straight and have settled for the Feather Artist Club and Kai Captain range of razors, give me the best results, one pass is all it takes for a BBS shave.

My wife prefers bald above grey hair, so do I Cool

27 1,294
 09-02-2013, 08:35 AM
User Info
I have been a head shaver for about 12 years now. In the shower with a cartridge and Head slick. I just started using a DE about a month ago and haven't yet attempted the dome yet.

0 4
 09-02-2013, 09:31 AM
  • Killiam
  • Malmö, Sweden
User Info
Checking in...

My name is Carl and I'm a head shaved Smile Been shaving my head for 15 years but have had a break since my daughter was born 2 years ago. Settling for a sub 1 mm stubble on my noggin using a trimmer. Thinking of picking it up again but as I have cleared my den of any cartridge razors I guess a mild DE would do the trick.

Anyone got a suggestion of suitable razor? Preferably with a longer handle. Perhaps a Feather Popular would do be option?

0 480
 09-02-2013, 01:20 PM
  • warhawk
  • Beautiful NorthWest Florida
User Info
@Yohann: Yep...this is probably the only tough part of having a chrome dome. It has been awhile since I bumped my noggin' on something (knock on wood).

WARHAWK

(09-02-2013, 09:31 AM)Killiam Wrote: Checking in...

My name is Carl and I'm a head shaved Smile Been shaving my head for 15 years but have had a break since my daughter was born 2 years ago. Settling for a sub 1 mm stubble on my noggin using a trimmer. Thinking of picking it up again but as I have cleared my den of any cartridge razors I guess a mild DE would do the trick.

Anyone got a suggestion of suitable razor? Preferably with a longer handle. Perhaps a Feather Popular would do be option?
Hi Carl: Besides the Feather Popular. . . you might want to try the Lord L6. It has the Merkur type head. You can get a great deal on a Lord L6 on Amazon. I have tried both razors and PiF'd both to some newbies.

WARHAWK

12 327
 09-02-2013, 02:31 PM
User Info
(09-02-2013, 03:14 AM)Snuff Wrote: ... and have settled for the Feather Artist Club and Kai Captain range of razors ...
Same here. I shave with a Feather RG (fixed handle) and Feather or KAI blades Biggrin

0 89
 09-03-2013, 01:46 PM
User Info
My name is Claus & I'm a head shaver Biggrin
Have been head shaving since summer 2006, and never looked back Wink

I head shave in the shower with no mirror and always use Gillette Fusion and Sanex Shaving Gel.
Works perfect for me.
Sometimes I give my head the traditional treatment with a forgiving DE, a nice cream and a great brush - but only once in a while.
I save my traditional shaving gear for my facial area Smile

[Image: W8eu1vE.jpg]
[Image: YLWyOnH.jpg]

22 5,038
 09-11-2013, 07:46 AM
User Info
Have been head shaving for the last 10 years or so. I wet razor shave it about once a week and use an electric Norelco between real shaves. A vintage Gillette Tech seems to work pretty well. I never understand the guy who has a tiny bit of hair and then goes to the barber to have his racetrack "cut." Might as well go all the way and stop kidding yourself. I believe that a man who shaves his head is not afraid of anything.
cottontop

0 13
 09-11-2013, 07:49 AM
User Info
(09-11-2013, 07:46 AM)cottontop Wrote: I never understand the guy who has a tiny bit of hair and then goes to the barber to have his racetrack "cut." Might as well go all the way and stop kidding yourself.
+1

That is how I decided to "take over" the task. It was stupid and wasteful to pay to trim the little hair I had left Smile

Now, whether I have actually "saved" money by going to wet shaving and buying this and that, is a topic for a different post Rolleyes

0 89
 10-05-2013, 07:31 PM
User Info
I've been thinking and threatening the wife that I want to shave my head but she always gives me that Dodgy look. So I just pull out the electric clippers and "Buzz Cut" what's left down to the nub Tongue

Someday I'll give it a shot and I'll let ya'll know what the reaction was. Wink

0 74
 12-16-2013, 01:39 PM
User Info
I use a 1914 SE EverReady to clean my skull most days. I started out with a straight but as I got older and lost the flex I had to find a safer way to shave. I still use a straight on my chin

0 6
 12-17-2013, 07:01 AM
User Info
I have been head shaving for about 3 years. Started with a electric clippers, then electric razor but have settled with the Head Blade. Fast, close shave with two passes, WTG and ATG. Now using the HeadBlade ATX with the HB4 cartridges. Each cartridge lasts about 3 months of trouble free shaves. Tried the sensor and guard razors but felt awkward and slower than the HB and always seemed to get a few nicks.

18 201
 01-13-2014, 02:37 PM
User Info
I shave my head 2-3 times a month. Not worried about achieving BBS,just close comfortable shave. When I began DE shaving about a month ago, I was worried about cutting my scalp off. Last week I tried my first DE head shave and it was awesome. I don't remember what soap, but it was with my EJ razor and a Derby blade.

But it was the Osage Rub afterwards that was outstanding. So much so that I apply the Rub daily to my dome, shaved or not. I've heard that some guys refrigerate it, and if I had a bigger refrigerator I would as well.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to trying my new Merkur long handle with some different blades in my sampler next week.

0 31