08-29-2013, 06:33 PM
User Info
As I was just reading a MdC thread I once again found it amusing how polarizing it can be. Instead of going around sending PMs to those that said other soaps are better I figured it would be best to open it up to all for discussion.

This is only for those that have actually tried MdC. This is not a discussion on price or best bang for your buck. I want to know simply what soap(s) you prefer over MdC & why.

Ready?

Set?

ENABLE ME!

Soaps mentioned throughout thread listed here for reference...

Castle Forbes, Czech & Speake, DRH, P.160, ABCBA, Yardley, MWF, Santa Maria Novella, Speick, Jabonman, Calani, Barrister&Mann, Petal Pusher Fancies, Tabac, Mike's, Al's, 3P, Pre de Provence, Klar (Kabinett & Seifen), Cella (brick)

31 7,914
 08-29-2013, 06:38 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
There is nothing wrong with MdC, but I am one of those that don't find it to be "the holy grail".
To me, Castle Forbes, DR Harris, Czech & Speake are much better soaps.

88 4,233
 08-29-2013, 06:41 PM
User Info
Why Steve? What makes those others better for you?

Out of the 3 you listed I've only used DR Harris. To be honest I was very displeased with the DRH lather. It was just an airy foam with no cushion and only slightly slick.

The other two? Maybe one day when I get bored of my MdC, P.160, & ABCBA.

31 7,914
 08-29-2013, 07:19 PM
User Info
I haven't tried a boat load of soaps but I've yet to see anything better in my rotation than MDC. I can get a 3 pass shave with leftovers with a 6 sec. load time on MDC. Yes I have tried with others but to no avail. I do have soft water, just wanted to make that known.

2 805
 08-29-2013, 07:21 PM
User Info
Yardley and P160 are still better for me...

one reason only: post-shave feel

MdC leaves my face too dry. With yardley and P160 I could go without aftershave (i don't).

8 118
 08-29-2013, 07:26 PM
User Info
+1 for DRH Lather

However, I have heard only very good things about Castle Forbes and C&S, but am yet to try it.

I do use MdC on a regular basis and in my opinion, it is top notch!

(08-29-2013, 06:41 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Why Steve? What makes those others better for you?

Out of the 3 you listed I've only used DR Harris. To be honest I was very displeased with the DRH lather. It was just an airy foam with no cushion and only slightly slick.

4 358
 08-29-2013, 07:45 PM
User Info
I read that also Brian and I just chalked it up to yet another thing regarding shaving that I simply can't understand. But I remind myself when reading somthing of that nature... YMMV.

If we all liked the same things it would be an awfully dull forum.

32 6,310
 08-29-2013, 07:45 PM
User Info
(08-29-2013, 06:41 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Why Steve? What makes those others better for you?

This is how I find MDC. Whereas I find DR Harris to be a wonderful soap. MDC turns to foam very quickly for me. But I would not call it airy. Just foamy. I prefer the creamier stage before it all turns to foam.

You ask which soaps I prefer to MDC. I have only tried the Unscented and Fougere.

I find all soaps better than the unscented. I can smell the unscented as soon as it is opened and find it unpleasant. While I don't particularly like the smell of the Volabra stick, I at least don't find it unpleasant.

The Fougere I actually like the smell of. But again I would prefer a number of soaps to it.
With MWF being my top pick with several of Mike's soaps very close to it. Both Mike's and MWF have a wetter lather for me if that makes sense. This doesn't mean I dislike the Fougere because I don't. I like it very much. It simply isn't the be all end all I have heard so much about.

6 1,224
 08-29-2013, 07:49 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info

For one, MdC is a little drying like others have mentioned. You wouldn't notice it much if you use good aftershave anyway.
Second, I don't judge a soap by how easy it lathers and how many passes it's good for. I always always overload any soap and never have trouble with not enough lather. Yes, it takes longer with other soaps, but it's not a deal breaker for me.
Strange that you're finding DRH lather airy, maybe it is the water Huh
I completely forgot P.160 and ABCBA, I too find them better than MdC, got it hidden in the back of the drawer, will bring it out for tomorrow's shave.

88 4,233
 08-29-2013, 08:38 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I really like the regular scented MdC so I won't say these are better, but they are definitely equal to it.

MWF
Santa Maria Novella
Speick Stick, grated and pressed into a ramekin.

173 23,548
 08-29-2013, 08:47 PM
User Info
I have both of the MDC jars. I've had limited use of other soaps. MWF, Mikes, PdP and some creams. Of the soaps, MdC is the star. The scent to me is polarizing. Mike's has great scents but MdC just does it for me. Its also the easiest to load and lather. MWF may create more lather and have better moisturizing properties due to the lanolin but the scent to me is not outstanding.

9 197
 08-29-2013, 08:54 PM
User Info
Brian, to begin, i think MdC is a fantastic soap, easiest one i have tried to lather, but the scent of all three variants is not my cup of tea. i also find it a bit drying. Other than these two issues, i think it is wonderful, but these are two important aspects of a soap, for me.
i was really hoping i could continue to use MdC because of its simple ingredients and the care they put into making it.
Out of all the soaps i have tried, so far, i just find Mystic Water, Mike's Natural, and Jabonman to be the best soaps for their combination of natural ingredients, great lather, wonderful scents and their post-shave feel!

75 20,883
 08-29-2013, 10:55 PM
User Info
MdC is pretty much the grail for me, so easy to load and makes very slick lather.

I suppose it's drying, but I use a moisturizer, so that's not a concern for me.

Mike's and Haslinger Ewe's milk do provide a slicker lather for me, but neither are as easy to load.

DRH just doesn't do it for me as a SR user. Not slick enough.

9 2,988
 08-29-2013, 11:53 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
In no particular order..

Mike's
QCS
Mystic Water
Tabac
Jabonman
Speick

The reason being..they perform just as well, if not better than MdC and with the artisan soaps I have a wider variety of scents to choose from.
Also, MdC slightly burns my face, it feels a bit like a light sunburn..not painful but like heat is radiating from my face. It stops when I rinse it off and it doesn't leave any redness/swelling, but it's enough to be annoying.

31 1,510
 08-30-2013, 01:28 AM
User Info
Well here goes, Brian.

1/ JabonMan
2/ D.R. Harris
3/ Czech & Speake
4/ L'Occitane Cade
5/ MWF

For me, all listed give far superior post shave feel. MdC is too drying for my liking. All lather easily, even with the hard water I have here. They also exceed MdC in protection with my lathering. Finally, although I find the standard scent of MdC acceptable, it certainly wouldn't be my choice. Not tried the new Fougere scent and not really in any hurry to do so.
Don't get me wrong, MdC is a good performer, just not the all singing, all dancing product from my experience.

31 4,957
 08-30-2013, 03:45 AM
User Info
MdC or any other soap that makes into my favorites list is there for a number of factors. One of the important factors is how my face feels after the shave. I don't prefer these over MdC but enjoy all for how they leave my skin feeling conditioned after the shave. All perform well with respect to lather, cushioning, and all the other performances variables. Here they are in no particular order:

C&S
MWF
Mike's
La Toja Manantiales
Barrister & Mann
Mystic Water
Speick

29 1,731
 08-30-2013, 04:09 AM
User Info
MdC is great stuff - would hate to not have any in the den!

Having said that, other veggie soaps that I love and find pretty comparable to MdC:

- Calani
- LA Shaving Soap

My (fairly) short list on Tallow soaps:

- Mike's
- Barrister & Mann
- C&S
- Mystic Water

There are others that are very close in performance, but the above soaps are the full package for me - great scents, slick, cushion, great post-skin care, and little or no junk ingredients.

47 1,114
 08-30-2013, 04:59 AM
  • skeptik
  • The Piedmont, VA
User Info
The only soap I have found that I prefer to MdC is Kell's Energy. MdC is superior in virtually every performance standard I can come up with - except Kell's scent blows every other soap (and cream) away.

0 295
 08-30-2013, 05:12 AM
User Info
I would rank MdC as my top soap, but one of the closest to it are the Barbiere di Figaro croaps (and I would guess TFS in general).
Easy lathering, lots of slickness, and great post-shave feel.

And after using both for a while, and even though it's not advertized as such, I find their Esclusivo scent to be very close to MdC Fougere's scent.

10 2,062
 08-30-2013, 06:52 AM
User Info
I prefer Mitchell's and Harris because of the scents and the performance during the shave. The main virtue I could find in MDC was that it is very easy to generate lather quickly from it. I didn't care for the scent and I found it a good but not spectacular performer during the shave.

15 762