08-30-2013, 02:04 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
So I've been wetshaving for a few years now and I would say that I have been really lucky so far in that I quite rarely get cuts, nicks, weepers or ingrows.
Last week my luck ran out. I was running late and rushed through my shave when something went wrong on the last pass - too much pressure, the angle, maybe both. I really don't know. Whatever happened resulted in two ingrown hairs taking up residence next door to each other on my beautiful chin. They conspired and by the end of the day had join forces to become one super-massive deep bump.
I spent last weekend unshaven with a cherry red chin. To be honest I contemplated giving up the shaving game altogether, growing a Grizzly Adams beard and living in the wilderness with a bear sidekick. Ultimately I decided to tough it out. Mantic has a great video on the subject that is well worth a watch if you haven't already see it. It has great tips like exfoliating the area with a soft brush, making a paste of smooshed up aspirin and water. The aspirin trick did help out, it seemed to help it drain and reduce swelling. Thanks Mantic!
Its been about a week and my ingrown is 95% healed, there is still remnants of a scab that should be gone by the weekend. I've slowed down my shaves and focused on the basics again because an ounce of prevention is... um... worth two in the poke... no... I just know its better to not get them in the first place.

So I'm curious how do you guys deal with ingrowns that crop up? Any tips, tricks to make it less traumatic. Do you use a product, extractor, let them run their course...

2 507
 08-30-2013, 05:01 PM
User Info
They happen to the best of us.

I usually scrub the crap out of razor bumps in the shower with a facial scrub. When I get bumps, they look like zits. They aren't the tiny little pesky ones that everyone seems to get. I scrub until they open up and I apply witch hazel daily until it heals.

When they are just an ingrown, I use tweezers to maneuver the ingrown hair to the surface as best as I can without pulling it out.

Or if it's bad enough, I skip shaving for a few days.

2 396
 08-30-2013, 08:07 PM
User Info
For me, one thing that helps keep ingrown hairs at bay is to stop at the DFS level, and not attempting the BBS. Yes, not as close a shave, but significantly reduces the ingrown hairs for me.

0 89
 08-30-2013, 09:17 PM
User Info
Well, i have only gotten very small minor ones since improving my technique and not going for a BBS shave. If i do get them, i just try to work the hair out by gently scrubbing with a toothbrush, and tweezers if need be, but that has only happened twice when i first started. Good luck.

75 20,883
 08-31-2013, 03:58 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Sorry to hear of the ingrowns, as that is the reason I went to DE shaving (the Gillette Fusion gave me bumps like no one's business!). Like the other guys here, I'll scrub them, tweezer them out. It usually is a full week before my face is back to normal. Slowing down has given me the most ingrown-free performance to date.

19 700
 08-31-2013, 04:18 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I rarely get them these days ... I've learned to avoid ATG passes which contribute significantly to this problem with me.
If an ingrown occurs, I use witch hazel and fine tweezers.

102 17,671
 08-31-2013, 04:49 AM
User Info
I have ingrown hairs constantly! In the neck area occurs more. I avoid ATG and uses facial cream with aspirin!

0 179
 08-31-2013, 08:39 AM
User Info
Also, you could be using too much pressure. We have it ingrained in us like muscle memory to press down on the razors when using them. When I figured out that no pressure really meant no pressure, I had better shaves.

I rarely get ingrowns now, but when they show up; I do as I mentioned in my previous post.

Another thing is that I quit using ASB's. They make my face feel greasy and clog up my pores. I use an AS and am on my way. Over prep or over post shave care can result in them too.

2 396
 08-31-2013, 10:12 AM
User Info
Nicks and weepers I rub with alun and forget about - they are usually healed up well enough for the next shave. Ingrown hairs I can't pull myself I let my better half poke at with a needle and a pair of tweezers.

I found that a good pre-shave routine (in my case, wash face with Dr Bronners and a wash-cloth) seems to significantly reduce the chance of getting ingrown hairs.. YMMV on that off course.

3 3,580
 09-01-2013, 08:46 AM
User Info
(08-31-2013, 08:39 AM)MegaBullfrog Wrote: Also, you could be using too much pressure. We have it ingrained in us like muscle memory to press down on the razors when using them. When I figured out that no pressure really meant no pressure, I had better shaves.

I rarely get ingrowns now, but when they show up; I do as I mentioned in my previous post.

Another thing is that I quit using ASB's. They make my face feel greasy and clog up my pores. I use an AS and am on my way. Over prep or over post shave care can result in them too.

This is important.

If the hair never ends up below the skin level than it won't grow in. Cutting it close causes it to retract into your skin and if your skin is dry and or you have curly hair,,... Your screwed.

Less passes in those areas and less pressure as well. Smile

1 622
 09-01-2013, 12:14 PM
User Info
(09-01-2013, 08:46 AM)olblueyez Wrote: Less passes in those areas and less pressure as well. Smile
Yes, less pressure definitely helps Wink

0 89
 09-01-2013, 04:51 PM
User Info
(09-01-2013, 12:14 PM)wquiles Wrote:
(09-01-2013, 08:46 AM)olblueyez Wrote: Less passes in those areas and less pressure as well. Smile
Yes, less pressure definitely helps Wink

I know a lot of people have this WTG, XTG, ATG or whatever combination it is. I get the feeling they may follow this "Too Closely" in lieu of learning each part of their face.

Some parts of your face may not take three passes no matter how gentle you are with the razor. And in the end more passes or added pressure end up being the same thing. Don't shave a raw section to get a few hairs you missed. Touch up the few you missed and give the rest a break, its not worth it.

1 622
 09-01-2013, 05:59 PM
User Info
I too have been fortunate as of the last few months. I started a new job back in Feb. and am required to shave everyday for work. I find I don't have the time that I would like for multi-pass shaves, so usually a 1 pass WTG has to suffice. The issue for me is that when I do find the time to finally have a mutil-pass shave, my neck reminds me of how much practice I need.

0 49
 01-06-2014, 04:09 PM
User Info
The reason one gets Razor Bumps is because the hair is cut so short, then retracts under the skin, the hair then curls up and the follicle becomes infected. Benzoyl Peroxide Gel and Salycilic Acid Treatments will help in clearing up the infection. I keep a little tube of Clearsil in my medicine cabinet for this very reason.

0 295
 01-08-2014, 06:24 AM
User Info
I'd highly recommend trying tend skin, it works rather well. I have the same issues though, very frustrating.

11 830
 01-08-2014, 12:42 PM
User Info
Good news is that you are healing, you know what you did, and have been able to avoid in-growns for a substantial period of time.

3 285