09-01-2013, 06:31 AM
User Info
I own a few WSP knots. Until recently all of them 2 bands: "Finest" (Prince), "Super Fine" (Monarch, Stubby, RV Custom). See pics below:

[Image: jAhCecQ.jpg]

[Image: tasdZEX.jpg]

[Image: 78pzUNd.jpg]

All of these 2 Bands have been solid performers. Soft tipped, good backbone, medium density (except the Stubby, that is very dense). With the exception of the Stubby those have been moderately priced - the Stubby sells for $120, still much below a comparable Rooney Heritage XL or Simpson 2 Band Chubby.

Lately Lee advertised a new prototype - "Special Grade HMW" 3 Band and 2 Band brushes. These knots are 23/24mm and sold for $90 per knot (need to work the handle yourself or get it custom made from some of our artisans).

So what about these knots?

First the "HMW Special Grade" 2 Band: I think this knot is spectacular! It combines the benefits of Simpson Manchurian (strong, resilient hair, with good flow through and lots of water retention) with the benefits of Simpson 2 Band (very soft tips). This is a clear winner and I hope Lee decides to offer additional knot varieties. See pics below in a Elite Razors E7 handle in Desert Ironwood (24/50mm).

[Image: LeYSIC8.jpg]

[Image: fGdw4De.jpg]

I then also wanted to try the "HMW Special Grade" 3 Band. I do not own many 3 bands anymore. The ones I do own are very special, e.g. Thäter for its softness, Simpson GYLE for the uniqueness of the grade/handle, a few shavemacs and one SR 3824.

I had the 24mm knot set at 50mm loft and asked again Bob Quinn at Elite Razors for a handle. This time a E7 in Amboyna Burl (stunning handle as well).

[Image: FEEvZkL.jpg]

[Image: ZgrjVzG.jpg]

I am torn on the "HMW Special Grade" 3 Band. The knot is not very dense, has not much backbone and the tips are not particularly soft, but possesses great flow through. In other words: it is a good all around brush (the face feel is great/not uncomfortable), but there is no particular attribute that would be outperforming any other particular high end 3 Band. It still is a keeper for me, because of the stunning handle from Bob (thank you!) and the fact that I do not have many 3 bands left in my rotation.

The "HMW Special Grade" 2 Band, however, is worth every penny, and I am sure to get another one, if they should come back in stock.

Of course, as always, YMMV. Biggrin

31 1,554
 09-01-2013, 07:55 AM
User Info
Well done review and i also hope Lee brings the Special Grade 2-band stand-alone knots in a larger diameter. Biggrin

75 20,883
 09-01-2013, 08:59 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Wonderful review and great pictures. I already have the Prince & Monarch and very tempted to buy Lee's latest offerings. These brushes and knots are second to none.

100 12,438
 09-01-2013, 09:58 AM
User Info
How do the WSP Special Grades compare to the Shavemac DO1?

35 196
 09-01-2013, 11:10 AM
User Info
Just and aside from the subject, nice looking brushes!

Like you, I have moved more into 2 bands when I am not using synthetics or boars, so the 2 band sounds excellent.

1 2,827
 09-01-2013, 08:55 PM
User Info
E7 handle is a work of art. It should be knotted with a similar masterpiece from Bernd.

21 457
 09-02-2013, 05:20 AM
User Info
I would buy the HMW 2-band if it becomes available in a 26mm knot.

37 2,914
 09-02-2013, 08:19 AM
User Info
Haven't tried a special grade WSP but I have thoroughly enjoyed the Finest, Superfine, Superfine XD, Silvertip, HMW, HMW XD and most recently the HMW two-band in 24mm. Some of the top knots I've tried, regardless of price. My favorite has been the HMW two-band, and I actually favor the regular or HD over the XD offerings.

47 1,270
 09-02-2013, 09:51 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Lee have really gone the extra mile to provide great knots/brushes.I know his struggle/problems to get them and , even when I'm not into badger brushes too much these days , I'm grateful that companies like WSP are offering great brushes and knots (maybe Ill be switching back to badger one of these days Biggrin ) .Well done , Lee !

86 7,123
 09-03-2013, 04:23 PM
User Info
First of all are you referring to D01 2 or 3 Band?

The 3 band is very dense, more dense than either the WSP 2 or 3 Bands discussed. The D01 3 bands that I owned were not as soft as other 3 bands (Thäter or shavemac regular silvertip). Hence, in the softness department the WSP 3 band is ahead of the shavemac D01 3 band.

I have not tried a D01 2 Band but most reviews see the 2 band D01 as one of the more scrubbier 2 bands out there.

Others may chime in.

(09-01-2013, 09:58 AM)Large4mat Wrote: How do the WSP Special Grades compare to the Shavemac DO1?

31 1,554
 09-03-2013, 09:44 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
Great info and thread German!!! I have wanted to try these two grades since I first heard of their existence. I had the opportunity to get the Special HMW 2 and 3 bands but instead had to buy a car, the day of my planned brush purchase...the craziest part is that my brand spankin new ride is a blast to drive and has been a bit of a dream car, but I still can't stop thinking about and planning a couple brush purchases to end my SBAD withdrawal ASAPHmm

4 792
 09-04-2013, 12:21 AM
User Info
DO1 3 band is near identical to Simpson's super. I'll be getting 2 x DO1 2 bands in the next few weeks.

21 457