04-18-2012, 12:00 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

After years of DE shaving, I have shuffled though a parade of DE blades — and retired all except Super Iridium, Gillette 7 O'Clock "Sharp Edge" yellow packs, Derby and Personna "Reds." And Feather.

Now Feather blades are on their way out, too. Adios forever and keep on going.

I also limit myself to two shaves per blade. I figure my face is too pretty and life is too short to try to milk every blade for a maximum number of shaves. I am not going to spend a fortune on a Joris or a Muhle "Sophist" and tap dance with a flunky blade.

Today, finally, I determined that Feather blades die on my face after the first shave. Dead! Today I tried a second shave with one and regretted it. I still feel as I've been slapped around all day. I know some of you do well with Feather blades, and some for numerous shaves. Yes, of course, DE blades generally work differently for each shaver and each razor.

For me, for my skin type and beard combination, no matter what model DE razor I use, the second shave with the Feather is like getting a facial with a serrated Bowie knife.

I, therefore, have decided that once my big stash is finished, the Feather blade will retire from the shave den and I will never look back. I might not even wait that long and choose to sell them. I need a great set of wheels on my Lamborghini, not rusty tank tracks — well, if I had a Lamborghini.

It is a war, gentlemen, and the Feather my enemy. How does the Feather fair for you?

132 2,614
 04-18-2012, 12:16 PM
User Info
Nice post, Obie! Smile

Unlike you, I do like Feather blades. Also, while I have a pretty huge number of Iridiums, I don't particularly care for them - they're the blade I use just because I have 'em. The yellow Gillettes and I never did agree.

As you mentioned - to each his own. Feathers last at least 3 shaves for me, but I do encounter the occasional blade that is harsh from the get-go. They're pretty rare, but I have come across a couple of duds.

37 1,731
 04-18-2012, 12:25 PM
User Info
(04-18-2012, 12:16 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: Nice post, Obie! Smile

Unlike you, I do like Feather blades. Also, while I have a pretty huge number of Iridiums, I don't particularly care for them - they're the blade I use just because I have 'em. The yellow Gillettes and I never did agree.

As you mentioned - to each his own. Feathers last at least 3 shaves for me, but I do encounter the occasional blade that is harsh from the get-go. They're pretty rare, but I have come across a couple of duds.

+1 to everything except your comment on the Gillette Yellows, which I like to use on occasion.

6 315
 04-18-2012, 12:39 PM
User Info
I have to say that Feathers, and the now sadly discontinued Polsilvers, have been my favorite blades. Congrats to you on deciding which works best for your face! If you ever decide to sell them....RolleyesBiggrin

0 25
 04-20-2012, 08:56 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I had a lot of trouble with Feather Blades until I started using Feather's All Stainless Razor. The two pair really well together and I get nothing but irritation free shaves with the two.

45 3,955
 04-20-2012, 09:01 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Glad you figured out your preferences. I never really jumped on the Feather bandwagon. I had no trouble getting a close shave but they just leave my skin feeling a bit well, raw. Not irritated, just raw. I say why bother with the extra $ when there are so many other fine choices.

35 2,703
 04-20-2012, 09:29 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I don't have the writing experience/skills that Obie does, but I have also come to my own conclusion on Feather blades.

To put it in my simple terms, I don't like them and don't use them.

It is one of those YMMV kind of things though, and I now only use Gillette 7 O'Clock Blues in my limited supply of DE razors.

173 23,546
 04-20-2012, 09:49 AM
User Info
Feathers work really well for me in all but the most aggressive razors. I can typically get 4-5 uses before I notice degradation.

0 419
 04-20-2012, 10:38 AM
User Info
(04-20-2012, 08:56 AM)tgutc Wrote: I had a lot of trouble with Feather Blades until I started using Feather's All Stainless Razor. The two pair really well together and I get nothing but irritation free shaves with the two.

So, how many shaves do you wring out of the combo? Huh

0 554
 04-20-2012, 12:09 PM
User Info
How large is your stash of Feathers? I have about 7 packs of Red Personnas that I'll trade. I have a bunch of miscellaneous blades left over from the good old trial days too.

9 451
 04-20-2012, 12:15 PM
User Info
I feel much the same way Obie.
Lately, the only blades allowed in my DE's are the Gillette 7 O'Clock "Sharp Edge" yellow packs, the Israeli reds and the Gillette Menora's.
Astra's are tolerable, but once my stash is gone they are out for good.

0 3
 04-20-2012, 07:04 PM
User Info
Feather blades do well for me. I prefer them in the Feather AS and will generally get 5-7 shaves with one. Feathers are one of my top three blades with Super Iridiums being first on my list.

29 1,731
 04-20-2012, 07:17 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(04-20-2012, 12:09 PM)Johnny9 Wrote: How large is your stash of Feathers? I have about 7 packs of Red Personnas that I'll trade. I have a bunch of miscellaneous blades left over from the good old trial days too.

I think I have some 300 Feather. About 100 Personna. Some 300 Gillette 7 O' Clock yellows, more than 100 Derby, plus Super Iridium. These are the blades on which I have settled after trying scores of them. I'll pass on your kind offer to trade, though. Thank you. The Feather blades work relatively well for one shave, so I'll continue to use them until they run out.
Stay well.

132 2,614
 04-20-2012, 09:55 PM
User Info
I'm a 3-4 and done shaver. My beard isn't particularly challenging and I have a fair complexion. I love Feathers and have tried them in my various razors. I've found they are ideal in the ball Tech for me. Honestly though, I get nearly equal results with all my blades. The nuances are so slight for me it's sometimes hard to tell one from another.

0 24
 04-21-2012, 07:13 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
It's really YMMV, I tried a lot of blades and the Feathers are still my go to blades. 4 shaves (head + face) is normal for me.

27 1,297
 04-21-2012, 05:13 PM
  • Codfish
  • Product Tester
  • Connecticut Shoreline
User Info
(04-18-2012, 12:00 PM)Obie Wrote: For me, for my skin type and beard combination, no matter what model DE razor I use, the second shave with the Feather is like getting a facial with a serrated Bowie knife.

I am in total agreement. For me, my age is a factor, too. My beard was never dense, bur now that I'm older, it's become very wiry. So much so that it actually seems to take its toll on the famed Feather edge quickly. It feels as if by the end of the first shave, the fine edge has been damaged and uneven kerfing has spoiled it.

It will not comfortably do a second shave without causing irritation. Other blades, like Perma-Sharp, are nearly as sharp, but don't deteriorate as quickly for me. I've lost my Feather fever.

0 254
 04-21-2012, 09:34 PM
User Info
i find the Feathers too sharp, prone to inflicting too many weepers and dull after 3 shaves.
The SE Feather Pros, however, are a different thing!
Yohann, if you do not like the Iridiums, well, then.....

75 20,883
 04-21-2012, 09:54 PM
User Info
I can't get more than 2 great shaves from a DE Feather, I get at least 7 great shaves from a 7:00 Yellow and Polsilvers and Iridiums. They are fantastic blades. The Feathers are good for the 2 shaves they deliver and the 3rd is terrible. But I won't buy any more of them. I discovered this during my blade test of them and decided early on that I didn't want any more.

Interesting to me at least, the Feather SE blade gives me lots of shaves per blade. It's been awhile since I've used one, but it's more than 7 shaves. At a buck per blade I only use them for certain razors where they must be used.

32 6,309
 04-22-2012, 04:56 PM
User Info
Feathers are my favorite modern blade (second favorite overall), but they don't last particularly long. 3 and out for me.

30 275
 04-22-2012, 05:31 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
When I was a student of soto zen my roshi decided to teach me kendo upon learning I was a fencer.
I remember the first, and last time I used a feather blade. I could almost hear the plaintive japanese flute music building tension moments before the swordmaster unleashes mayhem. After the closest, BBS shave I've ever known aftershave hit skin.

Shaving quietly
blood falls like
cherry blossoms

2 3,171